Looking for some input on a 5.3 swap into my tj 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Looking for some input on a 5.3 swap into my tj 2.5

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
TMLoftis
1978 CJ5 

Looking for some input on a 5.3 swap into my tj 2.5

I'm looking to swap a 5.3 vortec into my tj.

I want to keep a manual.

I was thinking a throttle by cable engine ( will the stock cable work?) a nv3500 (from what year Chevy would be best?) and an unknown yet transfer case.

Not sure what radiator. Ill probably pay someone to do the tuning and wiring harness. Navak for the mounts and tac converter. Ill weld up a crossmember myself. For the fuel system ill do the corvette filter. And a 4.8 flywheel and clutch kit( what year, make, model?).

As for headers not sure what ill do yet or what year oem will fit..?

And will my master and slave work for the clutch?

What's the best thing to do for the transfer case? Use the Chevy case or do something with the stock jeep one?

Anything I'm forgetting?

TMLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
ob269
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Novak(I think) has a whole page on the web with more than enough information in regards to this..
ob269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
TMLoftis
1978 CJ5 

Novak only is trying to sell their adapters. They don't say how to do this with a nv3500
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
ob269
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why use the nv? You can use the ax15 and be golden (from what I've read, no personal experience, just preparing for this same thing one day)
ob269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
TMLoftis
1978 CJ5 

Because I have the ax5. With an ax15 or nv3550 I'd have to buy an adapter. So I figured for the same price I can get an nv3500 and not have to use an adapter besides the transfer case.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
vortec85cj
1985 CJ7 

Things you need:

In tank fuel pump. I had mine on the frame and it didn't do the job
you can use cable throttle. I have DBW and its awesome
Upgrade the cooling system. Larger radiator and find an early 90's ford Taurus 2 speed fan. It.has more cfm than most aftermarket
Novak weld in mounts are nice. They give you more freedom to do what you need.
For headers, I was able to keep the stock ones due to my body lift. I want to say Camaro headers will work. Check the year
As for the year motor, I think in 04 or 05 the fuel system went to no return. That's just less plumbing for you. I used -AN6 stainless lines
Wiring isn't really that bad, but if you don't want to bother, there are plenty of shops online.
The computer needs to be reflashed to remove the anti-theft and any emissions you don't need. The programmer should know what you need and don't
vortec85cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

i used http://www.fuelinjection.com/ to modify my harness and reflash.... highly reccomended!
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.