A little help deciding on parts! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > A little help deciding on parts!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
93_bigbadxj

A little help deciding on parts!

90 yj with the stock 4.2 carb ax15 np231 with sye.
Need to make it crawl better.
Current axles are drum brake 4.56 8.8 with lunchbox locker that isn't locking
Xj hp30 4.56 locker that hit or miss on locking.
35" tires on alum wheels
So need to buy some beadlock wheels but need a game plan first.
Have some scout2 Dana 44s welded rear locker front selectable hubs ready to bolt in. It's a passenger drop axle and 5on5.5. Losing a little gearing but gaining selectable hubs and a little strength but not much.
On the tcase we are looking at a d.d machine doubler setup.
If we stay with current axles and fix the lockers we can do a 231 doubler or if we go with the Dana 44s we could do a 231/300 doubler. So which way would you go? After we figure this out then my buddy can order wheels. Also in the future he would like to step up to 38s but not bigger.

93_bigbadxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the scout axles are very undesirable because of the zero caster relative to pinion angle. doing pass drop in a yj is tough, a lot has to be re-routed.

with full chromo everything, arb's/detroits, and chryo'd gear sets you MIGHT be able to make either set of axles live on 38's with a VERY LIGHT FOOT and replacing ball joints and doing wheel bearings every few runs. otherwise he's well on his way to needing one ton running gear.

i would look elsewhere for your doubler needs. d.d. machine has scammed me out of cash in the past.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

front axles 1 you could use the Dana 44 axle from a scout2 you whould have to cut the knuckles and rotate them to gain caster and then use a Dana300 with a 4 to 1 low kit.
2 You could use a Waggy front end that has the YJ side and then use a 4 to 1kit in your 231 or get a Rubicon 4 to 1 transfercase.

A doubler would make for a short driveshaft
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
93_bigbadxj

A doubler would be no longer than the np231 with sye if I went 231/300. Yes if using the scout 44 the knuckles will be turned.
93_bigbadxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.