Let's talk Hydro Assist... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Let's talk Hydro Assist...

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jason m....do you have a write up or parts list or something to work off of? I'm nulling over how to do my hydro assist on my tons as I continue the parts collecting and planning.

Unread 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The parts are fairly simple.

The 8in ram as he mentioned. 6in for some, etc. you can always get the 8 and add the spacer.

Surplus center also sells the fittings and lines. get the 36in long lines. 3/8

I ran an old standalone tranny cooler as a power steering cooler.

Did the pump mod as listed on the WTO site (just the drilling for flow)

Overall I think i spent $175 on the entire setup. Loved every bit of it, except some return-to-center was lost
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
Jason m....do you have a write up or parts list or something to work off of? I'm nulling over how to do my hydro assist on my tons as I continue the parts collecting and planning.
Norcal chris pretty much nailed it, I found a guy in my area that sold me his taps to use on steering box, so drilling and tapping was easy. Got all the fittings and hose's made at tractor supply, picked up a tractor supply 2x8 ram when I was getting the fittings.

I ended up drilling my pump port two sizes over stock size, The first time I drilled the hole it felt better but was still slow, so I pulled it apart and drilled it one more step over and that nailed it.
If you drill to big ( like my friend did ) it will work great but you blow lines off ( like my friend did ) LOL.

For the ram I used a 2x8, which for street use it might be a little slower than what your use to but can power the larger tires without the risk of bending the chrome rod.
Plus the other benefit of the larger ram is when you decide to go full hydro like me you can use the ram again.

As far as stroke that all depends on what hole you use on the high steer arms, 8" ram on the 8" hole from the KP center line will give you around 37-38* or steering which you get around 35-36* on a OEM axle.
Now this is why I always say remove the stops cause if you don't you will let the knuckle bottom on the OEM stops but the ram will still want to travel past it which can break knuckles over time.

The closer you move the steering point in towards the center of the KP the tighter you will turn, but now the U-joints can bottom out. You can like me grind the inner cups on your shafts to keep them touching or have the machined.

Coolers are simple, any major parts store will sell a auto trans cooler for ruffly 50-60 dollars, that's all that's needed. I have a friend who runs a condenser coil from a car A/C as his full hydro cooler. Pulled it from a junk car, flushed It out and installed it, works perfect.

Up until I went full hydro or rear steer it was one of the best mods I did to my rig. Yes return to center was lost as the ram holds or locks the tie rod in place, but dam bro it could force my nearly flat Iroks around like nothing in the rocks.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I recently just pulled the trigger on the psc kit for my tj.
I with I would have done it sooner, as for their prices.......
Quality cost's money!
As for mixing parts, when I was doing my research it looked like a kit of parts that was designed to work together
results in a better system. Mixing this and that can create a twitchy system that will piss you off and cost you more money
in the long run while you work out the issues.
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2 View Post
Mixing this and that can create a twitchy system that will piss you off and cost you more money s.
Not true at all.

I am not Blaine, I don't build steering systems or know the math on what works with what. But what I will tell you ive built about ten hydro assist on several different rigs raging from trail only to trail/street.

What are you mixing that can be twitchy? Your using a OEM pump, a OEM steering box, two lines tapped into the ports of your box and a hydro ram that fills with fluid, last but not least a cooler that just lets fluid pass threw.

Other than drilling the port open for more flow its about as easy as I just explained here and up stream in that other post. The only other thing that needs to be figured out is ram size.
The bigger the ram the slower the steering but more power to the wheels, the smaller it will be faster but less power applied, but that depends on what size tires and how fast you want a response from your steering.

Jason.

Unread 08-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did some digging and found this in my photobucket.

this is what i used for hydro assist. This was a couple years ago.

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Not true at all.

I am not Blaine, I don't build steering systems or know the math on what works with what. But what I will tell you ive built about ten hydro assist on several different rigs raging from trail only to trail/street.

What are you mixing that can be twitchy? Your using a OEM pump, a OEM steering box, two lines tapped into the ports of your box and a hydro ram that fills with fluid, last but not least a cooler that just lets fluid pass threw.

Other than drilling the port open for more flow its about as easy as I just explained here and up stream in that other post. The only other thing that needs to be figured out is ram size.
The bigger the ram the slower the steering but more power to the wheels, the smaller it will be faster but less power applied, but that depends on what size tires and how fast you want a response from your steering.

Jason.
I said........

As for mixing parts, when I was doing my research it looked like a kit of parts that was designed to work together
results in a better system. Mixing this and that can create a twitchy system that will piss you off and cost you more money

I spent three weeks searching via google and reading posts from pirate, this forum and others. I never said it will cause issues.... nor did I say what you are suggesting would cause issues...........

Mostly I just dislike when people quote things and due to their perception of what was typed they remove the context of what I typed to spin it.

Have a great holiday!
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2 View Post
I said........

I spent three weeks searching via google and reading posts from pirate, this forum and others. I never said it will cause issues.... nor did I say what you are suggesting would cause issues...........

Mostly I just dislike when people quote things and due to their perception of what was typed they remove the context of what I typed to spin it.

Have a great holiday!
Twitchy to me is its not working and after mixing all the parts for the ones I have made they all worked like I wanted them to.
So that's why I implied "why wont it work" when I quoted you and said not true.

I was giving the OP another view like many have done on the subject, just don't pick the phone up and order a kit build it yourself. It oil moving threw a cylinder, pump, cooler, lines and lastly a valve. its not that hard to lay out and get it right.
You want to dump 800.00 hundred on a kit, fine, me and a lot others here don't, so I was offering something that can be built with the same results and from Norcals post of his punch list it back ups the cost end of what I was saying.

And i'm not spinning anything you said out of context, just I see a trend in people they used to build things, now its pick the phone up and here's the credit card number.

Jason.

Unread 09-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #24
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
just I see a trend in people they used to build things, now its pick the phone up and here's the credit card number.

Jason.
As I've gotten older and wiser I have followed this trend. I've gone from one end to the other. I'm over scouring junkyards and spending countless hours on my back in a puddle of misc. petroleum based fluids etc. I have more money/money making potential then I do time to experiment and redo stuff over and over. When it came to hydro assist after reading so many articles on people trying to go as cheap as possible and having problems or less then satisfactory results and redoing things, I said screw it. I called PSC and talked to them and listened to why they believe the processes they do are superior and why the kit is a good idea. I've done my time building and innovating now was the time to hand over the R and D and just put something together. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. With the aftermarket as strong as it is today the, "built not bought" mentality is for those who have no life, career, family, wife or those who simply choose to ignore them. I love my jeep and working on it as well but i love my kids and family and actually wheeling even more.
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #25
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Twitchy to me is its not working and after mixing all the parts for the ones I have made they all worked like I wanted them to.
So that's why I implied "why wont it work" when I quoted you and said not true.

I was giving the OP another view like many have done on the subject, just don't pick the phone up and order a kit build it yourself. It oil moving threw a cylinder, pump, cooler, lines and lastly a valve. its not that hard to lay out and get it right.
You want to dump 800.00 hundred on a kit, fine, me and a lot others here don't, so I was offering something that can be built with the same results and from Norcals post of his punch list it back ups the cost end of what I was saying.

And i'm not spinning anything you said out of context, just I see a trend in people they used to build things, now its pick the phone up and here's the credit card number.

Jason.
My issue is you clearly said my statements are not true, to suit your opinion which I find childish.((spinning))
The facts are as I stated them, I am happy you haven't had the same experience of having to rebuild the systems you have built due to them being sluggish, twitchy or basically running like ****.
But not everyone that has gone your route has been so lucky. There are plenty of threads on the web explaining the fact that many have tried to build their own hydro assist systems and ended up spending just as much or more. Than they would have spent buying a kit of parts engineered, to work together correctly.

FWIW, I work a full time job, have a family, own my own business that is my second job, and enjoy going wheeling. The last thing I have time for is building and rebuilding things on my rig. Which by the way I owe nothing on and plan on keeping it that way.
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Sound like two women at Kmart fighting over curtains on the blue light special
To each there own.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
okjeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just received a PSC setup, though for the 5.3 in our YJ running a prorock 60 up front. It is quite the assembly of parts. It is more intimidating than it should be but once you pull the box and get started, just remove and reinstall the new goodies. I will say that you do get what you pay for. I purchased and AGR setup several months back (it's for sale), but didn't want to mess with replacing the pump in the reservoir and opted for the higher flowing pump in the PSC setup. Both kits are quite detailed and the quality of parts appear to be similar. I haven't gotten the jeep out to see the changes in pushing the 37's once the e-locker is engaged yet.
1979 J-10, TBI 350/700r-4/D300 w4:1, D44's with lockrights and 4:10 gears, 35" BFG's.
1988 YJ, 2009 5.3HO/700r-4/Atlas 2 4.3, Prorock D60 front with high steer and eaton elocker, Tera CRD 60 rear w/ detroit, 37" irok radials, Hanson
okjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies with different points of view. I fall somewhat in-between, I don't care to research and purchase each piece necessary for the cheapest price possible. But, I also refuse to pay what I consider top dollar for PSC Hydro-Assist kit. What West Texas Offroad offers with their Redneck Ram kit is more that sufficient IMO for less than half the cost. I will begin the process this weekend. I need to remove the gearbox and send to WTO for drill/tap modification(s).

My question is what cooler would you all recommend? I will be purchasing this separately cause the kit does not include one and I want to run one. Would any small transmission cooler work? Also, will barbed fillings and hose clamps work for the cooler connections or will the line pressure be high enough where threaded fittings are necessary?

Thanks, David M
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #29
jason m

Yes a standard Auto trans cooler will work perfect. I prefer the ones that have the tubing loop and not the stacks of small cooler plates or fins. Yes the tube one has fins but you can clearly see the tubes under it, catch my drift?

The other thing that works good is a A/C condenser coil. The one in the front of the car radiator. They normally can be found for 10-15.00 dollars at any junkyard and once you flush them out with air and brake clean work perfect.

Jason.

Unread 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
bullitt85
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just tried to install this kit on my jeep
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...ssist-kit.html

It turned out to be a lot more than I had bargained for, since I have a dana 44 and a drop track bar it became a huge pain in the ***, I will have to swap track bars I think and rebuild the mounts I used for the cylinder, I placed it infront of the pumpkin and everything looked great while in the air, however my clayton LA kit had a track bar mount that I had welded in and when on the ground only gave the cylinder a few inches clearance so when I tested it for roll when the body rolls drivers side it struck the cylinder, so I pulled it out and am just running their upgraded steering box with high flow pump and I did put a cooler in line. Used a high flow tranny cooler think it cost like 24$. however just their gear box and high flow pump I turn my pitbull rocker 35's with one finger all day, huge upgrade. cant wait to finish figuring out how to get the ram in the mix.
bullitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.