Let's talk Hydro Assist... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Let's talk Hydro Assist...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Let's talk Hydro Assist...

This has been on my wish list for sometime now. Since I can't find a rubicon transfer case to swap. I'll dig into those funds for the hydro assist. I did a bit of research today and was shocked at the price difference between PSC and West Texas Off Road. WTO quoted me $400 for the ram of my choice, either 1.5" or 1.75", all hoses, fittings, and modification to my stock gear box. PSC has a really nice kit that includes a new gear box but also includes a hefty price tag of $1600 They do also offer a kit very similar to WTO that reuses the stock gear box but again the price is substantially more at $875. Neither WTO or PSC kit includes a new pump or a cooler. They both said the pump is nice but not necessary. PSC was in favor of a cooler while WTO said again not necessary. I plan to run a cooler just as cheap insurance. I just don't understand the big price difference. Can there possibly be that big a difference in the ram quality? Advice and/or opinions welcome.

Unread 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Until proven otherwise. You get what you pay for. PSC is off road proven IMO.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

PSCs machine work is fantastic. You really do get what you pay for

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
CJ7dreamer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After a lot of research I have found and many here will tell you that for low rpm turning you will need a better pump. I have yet to pull the trigger yet but when I do I have a pump upgrade in the plan.
CJ7dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

I have read about the possibility of needing to replace the stock pump for a high volume unit. I can live with that and eventually plan to do so. This goes toward my point exactly. That $475 I save on the ram by going with WTO could be nearly enough to purchase the PSC high volume pump kit. I can see the logic of where on something like a pump, you want a high quality unit that should last a long time. However, with regard to the ram itself. Can the quality and longevity of the unit really be worth more than double the cost of WTO ram? Anyone with a WTO ram set-up care to chime in. I know you guys are out there. I see them all the time on the trail. I have just never bothered to inquire about them cause I wasn't planning to purchase for a while. Now that I'm a lot more serious I will be sure to discuss more in depth.

Thanks, David M
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
CJ7dreamer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

From what I have heard WTO gets their rams from PSC.. don't know if that is true, just sharing what I have heard.... I don't see anything wrong with the WTO stuff, I will probably use them and add a pump and external resirvoir and cooler from PSC.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
CJ7dreamer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Clarification, my TJ will need a pump... If you have a P pump you will likely be fine with a ram assist.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

JKs can manage without a pump, however a new pump is a huge benefit. The internals of the JK pumps are plastic. They benefit namely from cooling

Unread 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

10-4, Good to know. In spite of what WTO says about a cooler possibly not being needed. That is a "must have" item in my book. I will get one for sure.
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

If WTO is telling you you dont need a cooler I'd never talk to them again. That's just ****ing retarded.

Unread 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be pumping more fluid so the demands on the pump will be higher. A cooler is necessary.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
jason m
Web Wheeler

Can you build it your self? I have built several for on the street use Jeeps but mostly for off road rigs. With that said most of what I'm modding is a YJ and from what Ive seen use's a different pump and steering box.

If you have a steering pump like the YJ/XJ then the pump port can be drilled for more flow, which helps a lot. A larger Res can be made to fit over the stock neck to allow maybe a 1/3 more fluid for the pump to use.

A cooler you can use a auto trans cooler from any major parts store, which range in price but are no more than 60.00 or so dollars.

Cylinders now that's where it can get tricky, I have always used the 2x8 central surplus rams or the tractor supply one's. They have a 1 1/4" chrome rod and for the most part are balanced.
But all the ones I have installed are on dana 60 axle's which use a 4" stroke in either direction on the 8" hole from the king pin center.
Central surplus has all types of body size, chrome size and rod length.

What axle and how much steering stroke do you have now? You need to figure that out regardless if you build a kit or buy one.
If done wrong like not removing the OEM stops the ram will over steer the stops and break parts fast. You want the ram to bottom out and act as the stop.

A lot to consider but done right ( kit or build it yourself ) the pay off is huge. At some of those price's I bet if you built it yourself it would cost maybe 200-250 with lines, cylinder and cooler being the big ticket items.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Jason,
I appreciate the information. I do not have the time to research and build the kit up myself. I find the WTO price to be fair and reasonable. I will certainly add the cooler inline. Pending results I will look into upgrading the power steering pump. I haven't measured the length of stroke yet from bump to bump. Generally speaking, it appears most JK's are around 7". The person I spoke with at WTO said once I give them an exact measurement they will set up the ram to stop 1/8" short of the bump on both sides. I guess there is a way for them to restrict the stroke some how.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They can limit the stroke internally by adding a spacer. That's how PSC does it. It's extremely simple. I just turned down a spacer for my ram the other week and will be using that to de-stroke the ram.

I'm not familiar with WTO's offering, but the devil is usually in the details. What do they include for mounting vs PSC? What fittings do they use? What type of lines?

From what I've seen in general, the lines and fittings supplied by WTO are very different both in quality and price than what PSC sends.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #15
jason m
Web Wheeler

Its good that WTO adds a spacer and address the limit issue, I guess you could tweak the ram once you get the and buy tweak I mean pull the spacers and your stops, lol.

My rear steer runs a limit spacer in the ram, I run it cause I never machined the U-joints to handle the amount of steering i'm asking from it.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.