Lets rehash the Dana 70 vs 14 bolt topic. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Lets rehash the Dana 70 vs 14 bolt topic.

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
Cool. Going to stick with the NP231? Build thread yet?
I had went on a delete frenzy and deleted my original thread. I made a new one after a few days when I got bored with nothing to do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/y...redux-1484068/

I will stick with the 231 as long as I HAVE to. I need lots of parts before jack stand this thing, unless I break one something to terribly. I am not going to rebuild these axles again.

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
I am going with a 14 bolt but there is a great possiblility that a d70u just fell into my lap.
I've heard that that is a pretty decent axle, and the price sounds like it would be hard to argue with...

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
jason m

Quote:
I am going with a 14 bolt but there is a great possiblility that a d70u just fell into my lap.
Not saying its not a great axle the 70U just remember cheap/free now gets expensive later.
Unti the 70 pinion steps up the pinion size then I will put the 14 bolt over it, but a Eaton is over a 14 bolt then the 80 takes the cake, but non of those axles got put into the the mix, yet.....................

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Not saying its not a great axle the 70U just remember cheap/free now gets expensive later.
Unti the 70 pinion steps up the pinion size then I will put the 14 bolt over it, but a Eaton is over a 14 bolt then the 80 takes the cake, but non of those axles got put into the the mix, yet.....................

Jason.
I know where a dana 80 steer axle is. LOL
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
jason m

Quote:
I know where a dana 80 steer axle is. LOL
Have you been sneaking around my garage, lol. I just statrted maching inner axle seal pucks for a rear steer 80 and a few years back I made a Eaton ho72 steer axle.
Those are two very strong axles, even thow the Eaton has the samller ring gear 10.25" the ho72 is the only one with a load bolt. Thats what makes it so darn strong the ring cant deflect and a one massive size pinion.

Jason.

Unread 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow, no i saw one on a rock bouncer. It has a 80 center, rockwell and overson outer parts and rcv's. What are you going to put your rear steer under?
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
jason m

Quote:
wow, no i saw one on a rock bouncer. It has a 80 center, rockwell and overson outer parts and rcv's. What are you going to put your rear steer under?
Long term buggy build. It will be a rear engine 6.0 TH-475/205, 5.13's, 80 rear ( or another Eaton haven't decided ) and a Eaton front.

I'm going to use standard 60 C's and shafts, then swap over to 300M way down the road.
The thought behind the over size or over strength diffs is since the i'm running a rear engine both diffs will be running fliped and as a HP on the coast side of the gears, so ring gear deflectoin is my worry.
But not worried now since Ive seen what bolth those axles can do.

Plus a lot of the dana 80's come factory with 5.13's along with the Eatons. I have two eaton 3rds with 5.14's and one with a detroit locker ( aka No-spin ), I "kinda" found a way to get the Eaton locker to except 35 spline shafts with some minor machine work to the side gears.
If not I all ready have a custom spool made for the eaton and the 80 will get a detroit.

Jason.

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Long term buggy build. It will be a rear engine 6.0 TH-475/205, 5.13's, 80 rear ( or another Eaton haven't decided ) and a Eaton front.

I'm going to use standard 60 C's and shafts, then swap over to 300M way down the road.
The thought behind the over size or over strength diffs is since the i'm running a rear engine both diffs will be running fliped and as a HP on the coast side of the gears, so ring gear deflectoin is my worry.
But not worried now since Ive seen what bolth those axles can do.

Plus a lot of the dana 80's come factory with 5.13's along with the Eatons. I have two eaton 3rds with 5.14's and one with a detroit locker ( aka No-spin ), I "kinda" found a way to get the Eaton locker to except 35 spline shafts with some minor machine work to the side gears.
If not I all ready have a custom spool made for the eaton and the 80 will get a detroit.

Jason.
That is great to be able to do machine work like that yourself. Guys like me just have to buy what we can from someone else.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Similar to this?

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Similar to this?

I think so, this one was on the front.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think so, this one was on the front.
That has 80 centers/Ouverson outers on both ends. That thing is the definition of stout. It's the creation of a local shop owner, I wasn't aware he rock bounced that thing but it's incredible....and it's for sale.

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that thing is nice, it is built a lot like the bouncer rigs we watch. The one I saw was on tc's rig down in Hot Springs, Ar. I think that blue rig could stay right with those boys. I can't remember if T.C. had those steering 80's front and rear or not. They are very expensive! How much is he wanting for that blue rig?
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That has 80 centers/Ouverson outers on both ends. That thing is the definition of stout. It's the creation of a local shop owner, I wasn't aware he rock bounced that thing but it's incredible....and it's for sale.

It is a pig. Way too big. Reminiscent of the Warthog if you want to go back a few years. I think its been for sale since not long after last year's KOH. All that stoutness didn't stop them from breaking half way up Chocolate Thunder in only the first lap (brakes and losing front wheel drive IIRC). Thing was way too big for us to extract while the race was going on and had to be left there all day blocking one line.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
It is a pig. Way too big. I think its been for sale since not long after last year's KOH. All that stoutness didn't stop them from breaking half way up Chocolate Thunder in only the first lap (brakes and losing front wheel drive IIRC). Thing was way to big for us to extract while the race was going on and had to be left there all day blocking one line.
Yes, it's huge....I didn't say it was how I would approach a KOH rig but the running gear is impressive nonetheless.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

LOL, it doesn't even look like anything anyone would consider running there..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.