Lets rehash the Dana 70 vs 14 bolt topic. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Lets rehash the Dana 70 vs 14 bolt topic.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lets rehash the Dana 70 vs 14 bolt topic.

I was just curious if the support for the 70 has gotten better over the years. It seems the 70 has quite a bit more clearance but the 14 bolts are plentiful and it is easy to find spare parts for.

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I'd throw the Sterling 10.25/10.5 into that mix as well...

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What do you want to know? The 14bolt, 70, and 10.25 are all GREAT Axles to grab. Each with their own little advantages over the other. The 14bolt can be fixed with a shave of the lip or a shave kit
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...it_p_1728.html
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1286

14 bolt also has the pinion support like a Ford 9in does to help fix pinion deflection. 14 bolt WMS can be changed from a simple hub swap and this axle is the most popular for cheapness and aftermarket support

The dana 70 looks almost like a dana 60 except a tad bigger housing and thicker tubes. They were made in all types of configurations in all types of vehicles. From the smooth bottom 70-U to the 4in thick tubed 70-HD. I have two 70-B's that are 35spline shafts. Aftermarket support is growing with these axles.

The 10.25 is another great axle with good ground clearance and has good support for as well.

So take your pick. I prefer a 70 or 10.25 over a 14 because of ground clearance issues and just the fact it's something different. Plus most people will think I'm running a dana 60 and wonder how I'm not breaking it on 40in tires
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I am checking all of this out. Someone told me the dodge d70's brakes hang too low so they have to be modified. 14bolts are really easy to find here. I was looking at the 70's because of the more clearance and more gear options but I guess if as low as you can go on a 60 is 5.38 then that isn't a good point to look at.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If I got a 35 spline d70 and was able to get some extra shafts that would be the best probably.
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
jason m

Other than the front pinion on the 14 bolt being worlds stronger than the 70 and 10.25, I would have allways put them in the same boat.
You really cant go wrong with any of them with a 39" tire, start getting around a 42" then I would say the 14 bolt will step forward as the 70 "could" start snapping front pinions off, they are they same 29 spline pinion as a 60.

Ive said this a ton of times on this forum, my shaved 14 bolt had more clearance than my front HP 60, it was only a 1/4" more but still had more than the unshaved 60 front. All I did was knock the lower lips off and let the rocks do the rest.
Served me very well for 7 hard years, replaced it for a 60 steering axle. Time will tell if I get the same out of that axle.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Other than the front pinion on the 14 bolt being worlds stronger than the 70 and 10.25, I would have allways put them in the same boat.
You really cant go wrong with any of them with a 39" tire, start getting around a 42" then I would say the 14 bolt will step forward as the 70 "could" start snapping front pinions off, they are they same 29 spline pinion as a 60.

Ive said this a ton of times on this forum, my shaved 14 bolt had more clearance than my front HP 60, it was only a 1/4" more but still had more than the unshaved 60 front. All I did was knock the lower lips off and let the rocks do the rest.
Served me very well for 7 hard years, replaced it for a 60 steering axle. Time will tell if I get the same out of that axle.

Jason.
So you didn't do a shave where you had to get into the pumpkin housing? It is hard to beat a 14, they are so easy to find.
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
So you didn't do a shave where you had to get into the pumpkin housing? It is hard to beat a 14, they are so easy to find.
Nope, I built that axle well over 8 years now and ran it hard for at least 7. Now that axle has found its way under a KOH car and has yet to run but I dought it will let the new onwer ( my good friend ) down.

Again no I didn't touch anything in the housing other than shaving the lips down and even then after a few years I wish I hadn't even really shaved those.
Why you ask well years of sliding and grinding over rocks they really ground down the under belly of the housing along with the ruffstuff cover. I got thin under there and once the axle was pulled for the other rig I built it back up with weld, was tempted to hard face it lol.

You cant go wrond with any of the axles posted, my vote of course would be the 14 bolt, I know what they can take pulled right out of a factory truck and just put into use.
Weld the tubes and the gears call it good. A bomb proof axle that will last till 44" tires in stock form.

I wedge my rear axle bad one day, lifted that rock off the ground buy at least a foot. Under a slow thorttle I could pop the front tires off the ground, was kinda cool.
But we had to get me out, I could not go backwards, oil pan on a rock would have torn it right out. Only way was forward, so I hammerd the thorrtle not easying into like I was doing a few minutes before.
The hole jeep lifted on that one side axle, felt it tork to the right and it poped free with a loud bang, figured I blew that side axle it was its time to go.
Got home pulled the shaft, to my supprise it looked as good as the day it got installed.
Only pic I have of me stuck, but it was bad.

Point to story, any of the other axles posted here in this thread I would have busted the input shaft, i think at least. But the 14 b took it, the axle was probally very close to its yeild point of failure, but it didn't.

I'm not telling you what to run, thats your choice. I'm telling you what worked for me for years with no and i mean no exspensive upgrades.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, I keep going back to the 14 bolt regardless of its clearance because of all the reasons stated. I am kinda wanting a 70 because of the extra clearance and it is different than most have around here. I kinda like to be different . I do not have any experiences with the chrysler axle simply because noone has them around here at all! I guess I will have to see which deal is best when I come across it.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
OzarksYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Listen to Jason,
I also have 14, shave the lip and get a cover from Barnes, Crane, etc., or contact TMR and do a full shave which will net @ 2"+ gain. If you're going to do 37"-40 tires there is no reason to do anything else and be nearly as cost efficient.
OzarksYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the 14 bolt in my new rig and I love it. I ran 44x21" boggers on a 91 Suburban mud truck several years ago and it held up with all factory stock internals... I love the 14 bolt! I might run an Eaton HO72 if I could find one for a good deal though... just saying...

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am going with a 14 bolt but there is a great possiblility that a d70u just fell into my lap.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD
I am going with a 14 bolt but there is a great possiblility that a d70u just fell into my lap.
What are you going to run for a front axle? Have you started a build thread?
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
What are you going to run for a front axle? Have you started a build thread?
HP D60, I am just gathering parts now. I am still wheeling this thing on my stockers.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD
HP D60, I am just gathering parts now. I am still wheeling this thing on my stockers.
Cool. Going to stick with the NP231? Build thread yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.