Keeping the front end "down"/hill climbs/Instant Center... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Keeping the front end "down"/hill climbs/Instant Center...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #46
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Fortunately for you, it appears you made straight A's in English class, which is more than I can say for a lot of people on this forum. But that's neither here nor there.

If you want to stay simple and have optimal climbing performance, stay as low as possible. Throw some good control arms on there, create clearance for your desired travel, flatten out the belly, and run it. If you start to understand this stuff over time then go get the saw zall and start over. It's amazing how much better things can get once you grasp these concepts.
Understanding that I have a lack of knowledge in the suspension department, I definitely want to keep it as simple, and as low as possible. The belly up is going to be a must for me. Ground clearance is really ridiculous with the 4 speed auto. I can't believe how low it hangs. What I want to avoid is the relentless hopping I experience in the CJ, that's spring over with reverse eye springs and a traction bar. Leaf springs and coil setups are completely different but hopping sucks either way

Unread 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #47
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
Hey Ragged, thanks for posting up the information that you have. I have been actually trying to map out what I think the stock TJ suspension would look like so this is interesting to me as well. I think there is something to learn fom all of this.

Well in the spirit of actually trying to understand the information you graciously provided, I noticed that from your information it looks like your uppers are longer than your lowers. Maybe I am wrong here but visually I think something is just a bit off. Perhaps it might change how things look?
My CA mounts are all in the stock locations. I've replaced the axle mount bushings on my front with Currie, and swapped out the factory front upper & lower arms with Currie adjustable as well. The rears are R.E., the uppers are adjustable and the lowers "fixed".

That said, Ive adjusted the uppers to set the pinion angle correct, perhaps that's where the discrepancy you've discovered lives and/or...in addition, the axle mount for the rear uppers is pretty darn close to directly in line with the center of the axle tube, and the frame mount is pretty much directly above the frame mount for the lowers. So, it's absolutely predictable that the rear uppers should be longer than the rear lowers. Am I wrong?

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #48
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
My CA mounts are all in the stock locations. I've replaced the axle mount bushings on my front with Currie, and swapped out the factory front upper & lower arms with Currie adjustable as well. The rears are R.E., the uppers are adjustable and the lowers "fixed".

That said, Ive adjusted the uppers to set the pinion angle correct, perhaps that's where the discrepancy you've discovered lives and/or...in addition, the axle mount for the rear uppers is pretty darn close to directly in line with the center of the axle tube, and the frame mount is pretty much directly above the frame mount for the lowers. So, it's absolutely predictable that the rear uppers should be longer than the rear lowers. Am I wrong?

Hmm, interesting. Well from what I recall I believe the length of the TJ rears are around the 13.5" and the length of the lowers are 15.75". I believe what is missing here is the third axis which would help account for the length difference?
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #49
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The lowers could be 15-3/4", it was dark when I measured mine for that drawing. However, the uppers have to be longer given the location of the mounts. When I went back to my drawing the center of bolt to center of bolt dim was 18". Maybe I bumped my empty head when I measured??? I'll double check in the daylight/tomorrow. By the way, where are you getting that 13.5" dimension for the rear uppers?
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #50
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The lowers could be 15-3/4", it was dark when I measured mine for that drawing. However, the uppers have to be longer given the location of the mounts. When I went back to my drawing the center of bolt to center of bolt dim was 18". Maybe I bumped my empty head when I measured??? I'll double check in the daylight/tomorrow. By the way, where are you getting that 13.5" dimension for the rear uppers?
The stock upper control rear arm is 13.5 eye to eye. Here is a link to Currie's control arm lengths which would be close to stock length. They are adjustable to about an inch.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ins...trol_arms.html

I am betting one of your measurements might be a tad off giving the illusion of longer upper control arms.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #51
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One more thing, I tried to graph what you have so far in the infamous 4 link calculator ( ) just to see what it says. Note: I expect there is some triangulation in the uppers and I didn't do that since it would only make the vector lengths of your upper control arms longer. I suspect there is also mild triangulation in the lowers as well.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #52
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, seems I earned another dose of humility. Turns out the frame mount of the rear arm is NOT in line with the lower. It was dark and I errored. Good job catching it! I corrected the drawing.

Unread 12-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #53
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, seems I earned another dose of humility. Turns out the frame mount of the rear arm is NOT in line with the lower. It was dark and I errored. Good job catching it! I corrected the drawing.

No worries! I appreciate you even taking the time to post up this information. I have small disputes with the lower control arms since it should be just a tad longer (about an 3/4").

I updated the 4link sheet with your change and also give the rear uppers some mild triangulation. I am hoping that we can see how this program lines up with what our reading says that a good suspension should do. Perhaps I will try the 4 link with the stock TJ setup to see also how that looks?

I hope you don't mind me adding to this thread. If you do then I will certainly but out.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #54
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

(Revised)

I don't mind at all. The fact is I was having a fair amount of difficulty entering in the coordinates correctly into the Excel spreadsheet I got off Pirate. In the mean time I'm curious as t what you come up with. So, calculate a way my friend! Regarding the lowers at 15-3/4" go with it. My 15.06" dim might have fallen prey to the same gremlin that messed with the dim of the upper! That said, I think I'm the gremlin, and often my own worst enemy...when is this humility thing going to end, eh? But, I'm teachable, it just takes patience....
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #55
Idahobum

It would be curious to see how all this changes when dealing with an LJ. Considerings the majority of suspension kits out there are just a TJ setup slapped under a LJ... Just thinking out loud about it, the 100% AS line is going to be much flatter due to the extra wheelbase, hence wouldn't you want want less vertical seperation between the axle end control arm mounts to also flatten out those angles too... Possibly run high clearance CA axle mounts like what Clayton offers???
Idahobum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #56
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

(Revised)

I don't mind at all. The fact is I was having a fair amount of difficulty entering in the coordinates correctly into the Excel spreadsheet I got off Pirate. In the mean time I'm curious as t what you come up with. So, calculate a way my friend! Regarding the lowers at 15-3/4" go with it. My 15.06" dim might have fallen prey to the same gremlin that messed with the dim of the upper! That said, I think I'm the gremlin, and often my own worst enemy...when is this humility thing going to end, eh? But, I'm teachable, it just takes patience....
Okay, well I adjusted the 4link to have a lower length close to 16" which meant moving your frame mount horizontally (2D perpective) to the right. Trying using the data in the attached image. It should be close to your AutoCAD setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahobum View Post
It would be curious to see how all this changes when dealing with an LJ. Considerings the majority of suspension kits out there are just a TJ setup slapped under a LJ... Just thinking out loud about it, the 100% AS line is going to be much flatter due to the extra wheelbase, hence wouldn't you want want less vertical seperation between the axle end control arm mounts to also flatten out those angles too... Possibly run high clearance CA axle mounts like what Clayton offers???
Well, I am not sure what to say about the results. But here is Ragged's suspension at 104.5" Wheelbase. Someone can correct my work if its wrong.
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #57
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now look at the numbers and how terrible they are. Your lowers are way too low at the axle end, your AS and roll center are out the roof, and the roll axis is beyond excessive. Flatten out the lowers and go from there. I run my lower mount with the eye level with the center of the axle tube.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #58
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Stock TJ Setup

Okay, so here is what hopefully is a close example of the TJ Suspension. I will let the experts tell us what it means.
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #59
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jermey, unless I'm going crazy the horizontal separation for the uppers is way off.

Idaho, download the calc and find out for yourself. Raising the lower mount at the axle = less separation = less angle = IC further out = less AS

For some reason, I can't open any of my old calc files, nor can I even re-download the program....otherwise, I'd post up my numbers. Excel works fine so I don't know.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #60
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Now look at the numbers and how terrible they are. Your lowers are way too low at the axle end, your AS and roll center are out the roof, and the roll axis is beyond excessive. Flatten out the lowers and go from there. I run my lower mount with the eye level with the center of the axle tube.
So what your saying is that a tj, with a short arm lift, installed in the factory locations essentially ruins the geometry...I think I'll start by pulling the 1-1/4" pucks.

So, what/where should the numbers be, in your opinion, Imped?

EDIT; Here's the current image with dims;

jeep-suspension-worksheet-jeep-5-revised.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.