Just another 97 TJ, 5.3, 4l60E swap from 02 Tahoe - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Just another 97 TJ, 5.3, 4l60E swap from 02 Tahoe

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #61
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, very excited to get a little bit done to it, everything always takes alot longer than I plan... With this Jeep that is really the case. I'm very happy with Artec parts I have ordered. I have there 4 link brackets also.

bronco2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #62
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well today is going well, just picked up 20ft stick of 2in 1/4 wall DOM from local metal supplier, I'm using it for my upper and lower links. Ended up being cheapest I could find locally, online price was good but shipping killer and I'm doing multiple project today driving the truck and trailer to work, hauled off junk vehicle for scrap, deliver table to inlaws and pickup diff table, PICK up the DOM

20 ft $240.90 after tax is 12.05 foot, not bad.

Just trying to decide now if stretching wheelbase or not, I really only want to run 35s for now. But of course down the road, but thats only more DOM and weld in bungs...so i dunno.
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #63
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am on 35s and it doesnt look quite right. I think 99 or so would be nice for 35s.
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #64
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update pics, progressing

Unread 05-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #65
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Things have slowed down majorly, I moved the project into storage at an extra garage my parents have, lots of stuff going on. I'm still working on accumulating parts, I just ordered new Sticky 42.5-13-17 Bogger for mockup and checking clearance. I have always loved Boggers on our muddy trails, and wanted something big, but not terribly wide. So excited to see it!! I'm finishing up building my own storage shed so I can declutter my garage and work space and get back to working on this thing.

In the mean time just wheeling the crap out of my explorer beater.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #66
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sub'd... Sounds like you have a solid plan and are making progress. My problem is I lose focus when a project goes on over a period of time. I like to get it done NOW. A lot of times it shows up in my quality of work. Keep at a steady pace and do it right the first time. I wish I could adhere to my own advice...
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #67
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, yea I hate dragging it out.

I started working on it again over the last 2 weeks and have made alot of progress.

Lower axle mounts were just temps awhile back to get it to roll out of garage, now rear is almost complete other than shocks and paint.
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #68
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Current goal is near complete in 2 months. I plan to go back thru this thread and update with usefull relevant information.

I'm running axle overkill for time being Only went with 35s, sticking with my stock 4.10 gears for now.
Genright Comp tank ordered for 05/06 style TJ pump
Moser custom front 60 shaft
Tires are 315/75/16 Firestone Destination MT on 16x8s, still saving money for 3 more 42.5 Boggers.
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #69
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New narrowed shaft:

New 05/06 TJ Pump style GenRight Comp tank

Getting ready to install new rear main

Superior Radiator

New Meats

Unread 08-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #70
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This Jeep is coming back to life! Looks great, can't wait to see.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #71
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, had to finish up some other things and make some $$ for parts LOL. Goal is to take it to SMORR weekend before Halloween.

Update on fuel line.
Using Russel fittings and Twistlok hose.

Also using Russel fittings for tranny cooler and lines to transmission.
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #72
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered rest of parts needed for fuel system, tranny cooler lines and brake lines.

All Russell performance parts.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #73
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Bronco2guy, I have a couple questions... well maybe more than a couple. You made the wiring part sound really simple, but I can't wrap my head around how you take wires out of the stock computer plugs and then what do you do with them? For example, the tj computer needs to see a signal from the fuel pump, if for nothing else, at least for the fuel gauge, right? So those wires would stay intact to the stock tj computer? But what about the LS computer? Doesn't it need to see some kind of signal also from the fuel pump? That is just one of many examples bouncing around in my head. How do you get the two computers to play well with one another? I did a 5.2 swap last year into my TJ and quite honestly, I'm not happy with it. I want more power and I want better mileage. I did my wiring harness myself, but it seemed much simpler to me because I was only dealing with one computer. I just added the two extra injector wires and moved a few other things to match the Dodge pinouts. I just can't wrap my head around what seems to be the most basic part of the wiring using the LS computer in addition to the stock TJ computer. Mine is a DD/weekend warrior, so I need all the stock wiring, I need to pass smog, and I need my gauges. Maybe you can shed some insight on the most basic part of the wiring for me....
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #74
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dmgiff, I'm with you. I am actually about to undertake the 5.3 swap and will likely be doing my own wiring since the aftermarket guys want serious money for what "seems" like an easy job. The mechanics of the swap don't seem to difficult, but the electrical still eludes me. I'll be reading and re-reading all of the 5.3 swap threads to get some clarification. Bronco2guy, the jeep is looking sick. Keep us posted on the progress...
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #75
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What springs? Looks like it could sit a little lower.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.