Just another 97 TJ, 5.3, 4l60E swap from 02 Tahoe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Just another 97 TJ, 5.3, 4l60E swap from 02 Tahoe

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just another 97 TJ, 5.3, 4l60E swap from 02 Tahoe

My goal is to make as many detailed notes I can about my swap, so if you want to run a simialar 5.3, 4l60e setup in a TJ super simple on details and save you some $$ on wiring.

Decided to start this thread separate from my build thread, to go indepth into what I'm doing on my 5.3 swap, which might help someone down the road.

Current jeep 97 TJ ,4.0, Auto, worn out engine
-Donor bought complete 02 4x4 Tahoe and drove it home-parting out leftovers
-Using Alldatadiy for my wiring info and online searches-
-I plan to use my stock TJ computer to run my factory gauges- all except aftermarket dash mounted tach
-Plan to use my stock 231 with SYE, modded using S10 tcase parts, advanced adapters vss signal between tranny-tcase on factory adapter.
-Novak/Sanderson Headers
-Novak weld in mounts,
-Lokar shifter
-Novak transfercase shifter

I plan to be as detailed as possible to maybe help the next guy.

bronco2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Saved for updates
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great tech on this site
http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

Everything you need to know about doing the harness yourself instead of paying someone, also cheap pcm tuning.

Full descriptions of wires to keep and remove
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
MFortie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Following this with interest...

First question: Is there any specific year Tahoe that makes the swap easier? (My TJ is a '98...)

Thanks,

Mark
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not that I know of, but one thing to consider is do you want the throttle operated by a cable or electronic signal. My 02 is by a cable.
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Today I picked up 2 NP231C's from 89 S10s unsure if trucks or Blazers, tag just said 89s19, one does say HD also

I also pulled fenders from jeep. This weekend I plan to pull all old drivetrain from the Jeep.
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update finally home for weekend so I can do some work on the Jeep. I got frontend all pulled off , tcase removed and all i have left is engine mounts and fuel line then we will lift the engine and tranny out. Doing everything at my brothers shop. Tommorow I have to put all the TTB and build custom longarms back under my explorer sport tuff truck so I can sell it for funds for this. Drove the Tahoe around some more I have out prolly 200 miles on it.
I also plan to redo my brakes and not reinstall the abs unit for those who noticed it gone. For now just the nitty gritty removing and labeling stuff.

Unread 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking into aftermarket radiators. Went with a Supieror

Thanks for help
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting closer. Tahoe is all apart, sold quite a bit of stuff, which is bringing the cost of engine and tranny down to a really good deal as planned and funding swap parts.

Went ahead and ordered Novak Ceramic coated conversion headers and elbows for intake
From advanced ordered VSS to go in back side of transmission and also ordered Lokar shifter

I removed harness from 5.3 last night and will be starting to condense it down based on LS1 tech site info, I will be making my own littler fuse box and relay and tieing into jeep in areas, more details once I get there.

Hoping to really make some progress this weekend.

Been thinking about a conversion radiator US made from guy on Ebay named Disrad, anyone have any experience with him, I read really good reviews from others on his products.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some helpful pictures:
02 tahoe 5.3

97 Jeep 4.0

97 TJ 4.0 Computer

97 TJ

Also part of the Jeep harness is C103 which will need addressed
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely staying tuned for this one. Did you say you're keeping the 4l60E?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes keeping 4l60e
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is my info requested to person tuning my Computer:

Details:
I bought a donor vehicle so all parts, engine 5.3/tranny 4l60e & computer are all from 2002 Chevy Tahoe.
I will be installing these into my 97 Jeep TJ off-road Jeep, using the 5.3 and 4l60e from Tahoe, I will be using my own transfer case and putting a VSS sensor from Advanced Adapter in backside of transmission that says 40 Pulse GM.
My thoughts on programming, correct me if I’m wrong. This is my 1st Chevy engine project ever switched over from Ford

Remove-Vats,
Disable rear oxygen sensors
Disable Evap canister Purge
Disable E85 functions
-Mine did not have EGR
Not sure what AIR injection is-but prolly want it disabled also if not needed –don’t think it has this either
Remove computer controlled A/C, I do plan to run my ac maybe sometime, but my understanding is I can wire it up from the original jeep wiring.
Keep Maf
Use programming based on a 2wd 5.3-4l60e setup, since I’m running VSS in between transmission & t-case
I did not have a factory electric fan, but I plan on running one. I want fan relay wire to turn on for 195 degree, I installed pin on #42 for fan Blue con
Pin #33 -Needs programmed to accept single wire park/neutral signal Blue Connector
Pin # 71 –Needs programmed for Tow Haul Mode switch input -Blue connector –I added pin
Running 35in tires
4.56 gears
Tach- I plan to run an aftermarket tach and have 680 Ohm watt resistor on way, so whatever needs for that and I will put it on the 4cyl setting.

I plan to use my stock Jeep dash cluster, my understanding is the GM PCM puts out a signal for speedometer, but it is likely not the same signal. Can this output be changed to match what the Jeep needs; I will be feeding the input back into my Jeep Pcm that will remain in the Jeep to run the gauges from what I understand. My understanding from online reading is the Jeep PCM reads a 8000 PPM square wave signal for the speedometer- hopefully that is correct and can the out put from pcm be changed to do that.

-Engine will be all stock, using Novak block hugger shorty headers
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very helpful info on 5.3 harness C2 connector, didn't see this on LT1swap site and made it easier for me labeling all the pink wires.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.