Jeep knuckles on a chevy dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Jeep knuckles on a chevy dana 44

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Jeep knuckles on a chevy dana 44

Ive got this scout 44 front Ive been thinking of using, but the only good thing about it is that matches the rear. I dont want full width axles, thats why I got these scout 44's. Im already using the rear and Im satisfied with it. The front has no caster, pinion points down and is a s.u.a.. If I get a chevy front 44 and find someone to cut it down that will fix those three problems but then Ill have two different bolt patterns. Can I use a jeep or scout steering knuckle on a chevy housing? What about the outer stub shafts?

big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I believe that all D44 straight axle ball joint outer knuckles will fit the inner Cs; Waggoneer, Chevy, Ford, IH (Scout).
Look for some travel-all or IH pickup outers at least some of them are flat tops allowing high steer.
The main differences are in the spindle bolt patterns, spindle length, wheel bearing size, stub axle diameter, spline count and length and there are some early D44s that had D30 sized ujoints.
Go to Mr. Ns page for more info;
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
If you have the large ujoints then pretty much any outer axle assembly will work if you don't mind a different wheel lug pattern.
If you have the D30 ujoints you will need to keep the 27 spline Jeep/Scout axle stubs, or change the axles to get the stronger large ujoint which in-turn means that you can go to the somewhat stronger larger diameter Chevy/Ford/Waggoneer/Travel-all stubs. The large diameter stubs will nor fit through the Jeepspindles or some scout spindles most are different lengths; be careful when mixing and matching. The Dana/Spicer x510 catalogues can be very handy but they are sometimes hard to find on line (try searching for x510-8.pdf).
A non unit bearing D30 outer knuckle will will fit the D44 inner Cs; (also good for changing the steering (drag-link/tie rod) height). It can be a real pain trying to get the large D44 axle ujoints through the spindle hole in a D30 outer. Unit bearing D30 parts will not fit.

5 bolt spindle mounting Ford
6 bolt spindle mounting Jeep (Dana 30 and 44), Chevy and I have seen some 6 bolt Ford spindles in the scrap yard, but they could have been mix and matched from Chevy, Ford and or Waggoneer parts).
8 bolt spindle mounting IH.

Note; that some Ford hubs & lockouts can be fitted to early Chevy spindles to change the bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5. and keep a 6 bolt spindle (See Mr. N's page).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Happy Joe, all d44's share the same sized joints as d30's.

There are a lot of options for mixing d44 outers to get a desirable width and bolt pattern. Most info is easily found on mr n's page and through Google.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why don't you cut and rotate the inner C's of the Scout Dana 44 instead of doing that and more to a Chevy Dana 44?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Im going to do that and hopefully get it right. But I dont Im thinking about a chevy 44. It already set up for
spring over, it should already have some caster. All I would have to do is get it shortened a bit and do something about the different bolt pattern
Unread 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
all d44's share the same sized joints as d30's.
The Dana/Spice catalog x510-8 lists 5-260x joints for D30s
And 5-260x, 5-297x, 5-74x and 5-86x axle joints for International Harvester D44s.
the Dana/Spicer 5-760 replaces the 5-297 joint and is commonly used in NEWER D44s.

The 5-260x joint was used in D30s until mid year 1995 then replaced by the 5-297x joint for an increase in strength.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p476...sal_joint.html
States
"5-260-1X Spicer 4x4 Front Axle U-joint. Grease fitting in Cap.
Commonly known as the "Small" axle u-joint. This u-joint was found on early Jeep, Bronco, Chevy, Dodge, International and Ford 4X4 trucks before they realized that it was too small and started to use the larger and stronger 5-297X or 5-760X. Easy to spot on open knuckle front ends by measuring the bearing cap diameter."

While I could easily be wrong, the 5-760x joint is not listed as being interchangeable with the 5-260x joint.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mr tom,

I just went the other way---Chevy D44 knuckles onto my D30 for a spring over. knuckles were a simple bolt in swap. Stands to reason that the opposite swap (your plan) should be the same...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Why did you swap in the chevy knuckles?
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was doing a SOA using my D30 that already had alloy axles and a lunchbox locker. I needed the D44 knuckles to do the high steer. D44 donor was so old it had drum brakes...no problem for me, my D30 is a '77 and has the 6 bolt caliper mounts. like I said, a straight bolt in for the knuckles. Anyway, I welded some 2 x 3 x 3/16 wall tubing, cut to fit, to truss the axle and inner C's. I only added 8lbs of metal and my analysis says the axle is 8 times stronger.
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Did you use dana 30 ball joinnts? What about the outer axle shafts? Also, if I mess up the scout axle and have to use something else I need to match the rear bolt pattern of 5x5.5. If I end up with a 6 lug front end does someone make custom 6 lug axles for the rear scout 44?
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
Did you use dana 30 ball joinnts? What about the outer axle shafts? Also, if I mess up the scout axle and have to use something else I need to match the rear bolt pattern of 5x5.5. If I end up with a 6 lug front end does someone make custom 6 lug axles for the rear scout 44?
I used brand new ball joints for a D30, direct press in fit. I used the inner and outer axle shafts from the WT D30, and my old spindles and lockouts from my old NT D30.
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Its odd how those different parts interchange. When I had my first cj I done a soa on it and kept all the factory parts on it. Im wanting to do a soa on this one but I may keep it sua.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.