Jeep CJ MPFI upgrade and upgraded alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Jeep CJ MPFI upgrade and upgraded alternator

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
dirtyb
1981 CJ8 

Jeep CJ MPFI upgrade and upgraded alternator

I upgraded my jeep CJ to fuel injection with parts from a '94 grand cherokee. I initially modified the brackets for the '94 alternator (jeep calls it a generator). Because I used the new alternator, I didn't need the diode that most people need to prevent electrical leakage (and won't let your engine shut off!!).

However, I really don't like this alternator. It seems to monkey with other electrical components in the jeep. I've given up trying to figure out why, and I've decided to install a CS130 style alternator.

Here's my predicament. I'm reading that I need to install a 35 ohm to 500 ohm resistor in the "L" line to simulate a dashboard light. I'm also reading that I need to install in the same line a diode that I got from Hesco in order to prevent backward electrical leakage. The diode shows a resistance of about 1 Mega ohm when I check it with the multi-meter. Is the diode by itself good enough? Do I still need the diode with the new style CS130 alternator?

dirtyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

Did you figure this out? I am in the same situation replaced si to cs and have a pigtail adapter for the alt. with a 150 ohm resistor.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.