JB weld and 4.0 head swap=rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > JB weld and 4.0 head swap=rust?

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 11-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
nfisher50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

JB weld and 4.0 head swap=rust?

I plugged my water jackets with JB Weld or Kwik Steel, I can't remember now. I removed my radiator line and this is what I found. It is like a rusty gritty material. It is somewhat sticks to a magnet. I'm thinking that JB weld that I used to plug the coolant passages is rusting and creating this? Anyone else with experience? I know everyone is using this stuff so I hope someone else can either confirm or deny this issue?

012.jpg  
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used quik steel on mine I stuffed disolving foam packing peanuts in then the expoy on top. I think your problem is completely unrelated did you use distilled water when you filled your cooling system back up when you did the swap? I have been running my 4.0 head for 3.5 years now and I love it.
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
nfisher50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did use distiller water. I also found heavy rust sediment in my block too. I m glad to hear others are not having this problem. I guess I'll flush it all out and start new.
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

I've been running mine for about a year with jb weld and nothing like that yet. You could try asking in the cj forum I know a lot of them are running that setup maybe you could get some more opinions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.