JB weld and 4.0 head swap=rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > JB weld and 4.0 head swap=rust?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
nfisher50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

JB weld and 4.0 head swap=rust?

I plugged my water jackets with JB Weld or Kwik Steel, I can't remember now. I removed my radiator line and this is what I found. It is like a rusty gritty material. It is somewhat sticks to a magnet. I'm thinking that JB weld that I used to plug the coolant passages is rusting and creating this? Anyone else with experience? I know everyone is using this stuff so I hope someone else can either confirm or deny this issue?

012.jpg  
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used quik steel on mine I stuffed disolving foam packing peanuts in then the expoy on top. I think your problem is completely unrelated did you use distilled water when you filled your cooling system back up when you did the swap? I have been running my 4.0 head for 3.5 years now and I love it.
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
nfisher50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did use distiller water. I also found heavy rust sediment in my block too. I m glad to hear others are not having this problem. I guess I'll flush it all out and start new.
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

I've been running mine for about a year with jb weld and nothing like that yet. You could try asking in the cj forum I know a lot of them are running that setup maybe you could get some more opinions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.