Jana 54 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
t600
1998 ZJ 

Jana 54

Thinking about using the Jantz Engineering Jana 54 kit for my HP D44 build. I'm looking for information on how difficult this is vs a standard ring and pinion install.

http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_54

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2017, 12:38 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
it says if you can install gears and use a grinder should be rather simple. The grinding might be a labor eater if you are paying to have this done. as well as i would bet a shop would maybe not want to do this since its hard to warranty and time is money.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
t600
1998 ZJ 

I read somewhere on the website that he recommends having at least 4 ring and pinion installs experience before doing this one. I really like the idea of upgrading the gears to D50 size and strength. I wouldn't be upgrading shafts at this time due to a tight budget, that stuff could be done at a later time.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Of the many things most people can do at home, gears is not one that is easy to learn and can end up costing more in the end when you do it wrong. Its not all that hard(with the right tools) but very little to zero room for error.

Why do you think you need this? break your 44s ring? I only run harder trails with our jk. we tow so if it breaks no big deal. But i have to say on 35s the Rubis44 seem rather bullet proof, well some what. If you were going 37s and you wheel the hardest trails it would seem that building a 44 is like building a d30. why? a 60 is better than both on 37 and up stock.

I only upgraded axles on ours. mainly to have spars. No Cs no sleeves. has run the rubicon 2x Dusy 3x and nothing but 4s here in az for most part that are harder at 4 than the calis9/10 i have ran, excepting Fordyce that is the real deal for hard core. 5s here are mainly buggy trails. about 7 years on this heep. My biggest issue. 3.6 and the electrical system are disposable. We have been a Jeeping family since the early 70s.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

I like them but it simply moves the weak point to the shafts or stubs. Yes chrome or even 300M shafts can be had but then its balljoints that take the extra leverage, or smaller hubs, unless you go drive flanges.
If you do try it keep an open mind about all the other parts that need improvements unless you did all that already and this is the last part to the puzzle.

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 PM
WsJeepToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Of the many things most people can do at home, gears is not one that is easy to learn and can end up costing more in the end when you do it wrong. Its not all that hard(with the right tools) but very little to zero room for error.

Why do you think you need this? break your 44s ring? I only run harder trails with our jk. we tow so if it breaks no big deal. But i have to say on 35s the Rubis44 seem rather bullet proof, well some what. If you were going 37s and you wheel the hardest trails it would seem that building a 44 is like building a d30. why? a 60 is better than both on 37 and up stock.

I only upgraded axles on ours. mainly to have spars. No Cs no sleeves. has run the rubicon 2x Dusy 3x and nothing but 4s here in az for most part that are harder at 4 than the calis9/10 i have ran, excepting Fordyce that is the real deal for hard core. 5s here are mainly buggy trails. about 7 years on this heep. My biggest issue. 3.6 and the electrical system are disposable. We have been a Jeeping family since the early 70s.
yep
post #7 of 10 Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
t600
1998 ZJ 

I give you guys a little background information. I'm narrowing down a full width 1976 Ford HPD44 to waggy width. That will be replacing my current LPD30 turd of an axle. This will be going under my '98 V8 Grand Cherokee on 35's. Honestly I probably wouldn't need the D50 gears but I don't want to buy gears twice if I decide to go bigger than 35's sometime. I'm thinking about this as laying the foundation for bigger things to come. I haven't done gears yet but my dad will be helping me with this. He's been turning wrenches for the last 40 years. I know the whole might as well go 60 thing, but the 44 is completely free to me as I crush cars for a living. I wish I could get my hands on a HP60 but I haven't got one in in the 7 years I've been doing this.
Attached Images

post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage

post #9 of 10 Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM
u2slow
2005 KJ Liberty 

I've thought hard about the Jana 54.... but its $340USD for an install kit.

I decided my initial hp44 build won't have any of the hardcore goodies (chromos, locker, etc) to warrant the r&p strength increase. Also won't be into anything steeper than 4.56 gears. I could probably get away with a HP30/44 hybrid:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...HybridAxle.htm

Kudos to Carl Jantz on figuring out a kit though. Its a great upgrade for a particular situation.

2005 KJ V6/6spd/3.54 posi, No-Slip locker (front), 3" lift.. and some Dodges w/cummins
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Happy Joe
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I too thought about the Janz gear mods (when I was semi hard core) ...
However just going to a high pinion will increase the R&P strength up to 30% over a low pinion and you will still have to be a bit careful if you go to 38s, because of axle strength., so I see it not buying much, unless you go to much better axles, stubs and joints.
For what its worth...
I really wouldn't worry much about old school D44 strength with moderate 35s even with a low pinion...
Ran a forward cut low pinion D30 with care and moderate traction 35x12.50 BFG MTs for years without problems (but 33x14 wide boggers will kill small axle u-joints easily, your D30 should have the bigger, stronger ones, same as large joint D44s).
Ran a forward cut (low pinion) D44 front under a 460 injected Ford engine, in a jeep for a while and only sheared a couple of 27 spline stubs with 35x16 wide boggers, on rocks... you need to leave a breakable "fuse" in the system, IMO..
Do a proper R&P install and you minimize any chance of breaking either, IMO.
Ran the same low pinion front in a Jeep with a Mustang 5.0 HO engine and 38" Swampers without problems (but used a bit of care).
Hope it helps...

Enjoy!
Edit: please don't take this as a negative post, I have done many things "just because" and if you like it DO IT; your vehicle is yours and its upgrades should reflect your desires, IMO.

'06 TJ Rubicon; seemed like a good idea at the time; had many CJs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.