im in a pickle.. bad. 5spd swap in progress - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > im in a pickle.. bad. 5spd swap in progress

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Zj im in a pickle.. bad. 5spd swap in progress

I was in the middle of an AX-15/NP231 swap. Got pedals working, hydraulics, clutch flywheel pressure plate, made an adapter for a tranny mount got both driveshafts adjusted for size difference and balanced.. I'm about 800$ deep in this and that's a huge price tag on a college budget.

My problem is the transmission that was supposed to be an AX15 isn't that. It's a puegot BA10/5. 21 spline output compared to the ax 23 spline. The 10spline input should work with the clutch setup. I can call the junkyard after the holiday weekend but I know them all to well to tell me to take a hike. What are my options here with a 4.0, without having to unload an additional 300$ or so on another transmission. But if it comes down to it, other than an AX15 what will bolt onto a 4.0 and either my 249 or 231 tcase?

My buddies dad was talking about putting a 23 spline output on the Peugeot (he parts out transmissions so he says he should have something readily available) I just don't know about the dependability of that trans. My fabrication skills are enough to make things work, maybe not look pretty but structural integrity is what matters most.

So where do I go from here? Ive never done a swap quite like this, never owned a jeep before this one, I've had all ford/gm product.

dirtymissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The BA10/5 is a notoriously weak transmission. My buddy just had to replace his and he doesnt even wheel his Jeep. Did you request an AX15 or a 5 speed out of a certain year Wrangler?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
TMLoftis
1978 CJ5 

I wouldn't settle with that transmission you'll regret it.

I'd spend the money upfront and get an ax15 or nv3550.

But I'm a do it right/ do it once believer even it cost more upfront.
TMLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.