Ideas/Suggestions for LS Motor Swap, HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Ideas/Suggestions for LS Motor Swap, HELP!!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
JRFinch
1979 CJ7 

Cj Ideas/Suggestions for LS Motor Swap, HELP!!!

Heres the facts:

I have a 1979 CJ-7, all stock except 4in suspension, and 3in body and minor upgrades on accessories.

Electronic motors are not in my "experience", Everything has a Carb, and I stay away from computers and sensors.

Its time for more power, and a V-8, L33 will be the donor for the transplant from a Z-71. I have complete motor, trans, and T-case There is nothing wrong with motor, 4L80E trans, or the T-case.

Motor conversion for me is not an issue, its the electronics that I'm not familiar with. I want to put the motor in, with the auto tranny and T-Case I already have from the 2005 Z-7. I want to keep everything electronic like it was in the Z-71, push button 4wd, electronic ignition, elect fuel, computer, sensors everything.....

If I have to swap T-case, I have found an adapter already. now with front axle being reversed, this bring up any big issues? Should I plan on finding some axles too? If so, what is the easiest to work with that I can find in a junk yard? I'm thinking older chevys with Danna 44's or something from a old ford.

Give me you ideas, suggestions, I've put alot of planing into this already, and want other opinions before I start, jus to see if I have missed anything. Be respectful, we're all grown.

JRFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

The wiring is a lot easier than you think. Basically lay out your harness on the engine, plug everything up, make sure you find ALL the grounds (there are a whole pile of them) and connect power to the computer...gotta get a high pressure fuel pump...may as well get one from the same model truck you have the drivetrain out of and put it in your CJ's tank. Basically got to make the engine "think" it's still in the truck it came out of. It's really not hard to swap, there's tons of information out there on the interweb.

As far as axles go, with this transfer case drop being on the wrong side -- one of two things you can do here. You can swap your CJ case onto the back of the 4L80E, but then you'll need to adapt a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to it so the engine will still run properly. Not hard, you can just order one from Jagsthatrun.com or other places or eBay. Or, if you want to swap axles, which isn't that hard to do anyway...you can get a 44 front out of an early Bronco (76-77, so they have disc brakes) or out of a late 70s-80s Jeep Wagoneer. The early Bronco 44 will have the correct side drop and is not much wider than the CJ axle. The Waggy axle is a little wider, so you may want to get both the front and the rear. You'll just have to check gear ratios to make sure you either match what you have, or get matched gear sets and go from there.

Good luck! This isn't a hard swap at all...Seems like it'll be a fun project!
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

The engine realistically will only take a few power wires hooked up and a lot of grounds and should fire up. As said you will need fuel pump. And to run a return line possibly for fuel.

If you have a Dana 300 t case you won't want that and should send it to me immediately! I'll save you the headache lol.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
dryvem

My cj8 has a similar setup. One thing we ran into was 97 and later 4L80 transmissions don't have the rear speed sensor in the trans. They are in the transfer case. If you adapt to your Dana 300 you will need to pull the trans apart and install the exciter ring. Then mount the sensor. Not expensive. Just more work. Have you measured the OA setup? In a 7 you are going to have a very short driveline.
dryvem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
lifeisgood916
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great

Nice Job!
lifeisgood916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.