Hydrolock, Head Gasket Replaced and Zero Compression - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Hydrolock, Head Gasket Replaced and Zero Compression

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
pierre8524
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hydrolock, Head Gasket Replaced and Zero Compression

Ok so here's the whole story. I was going to meet a few friends for a fun day at our custom gun range but before I could get out there, I hydrolocked the jeep like a dummy. It died on the spot, still in the water. Back tires in up to the taillights but front tires only in about 4". Almost made it out...

Well I tried to turn it over a few times with no avail as I waited for my friends to come get me. We pulled the airbox and found a soaked air filter and standing water in the airbox and intake manifold. So a lot of water probably got in. We let it dry out for a few hours before pulling it home. Once back we pulled the plugs and shot some water out. It wouldn't turn over so we shot some more water out. Finally I noticed that the head gasket had blown and that smoke started pouring out of the gap.

Since then, I have flushed the oil a few times. I have replaced the head gasket. Everything looked good as far as I could tell but this was my first time tearing into and engine, but I had a more knowledgeable mechanic take a minute or two look at it. No noticed cracks or gaps. I have changed out spark plugs. I have compression checked the cylinders (95, 120, 0, 120). I just retightened the rocker bolts since I fear I may have overtorqued them previously.

I'm trying to figure out my next course of action. A coworker thinks that if the head gasket didn't fix it, I likely have damaged something deeper in the engine and it might be easier to just swap in a new engine.

So the engine needs a lot of gas to stay running and it will stall out if your foot isn't on the gas. It's also very loud and backfires sporadically. With all of that, here are some of the possible culprits I have read about.

Water in the gas tank - It was sitting under water for the better part of 15 minutes, and this could cause it to keep stalling out.

Bad head gasket replacement - I took my time and did a good job with it, but when I finished the other guy asked if I torqued the last bolt to 100 and then to 110. I didn't do this but I was figuring that I could redo this if that is a big deal.

Warped cylinder head - I went to the base auto hobby shop and the best straight edge they had was a curved thin metal ruler. Not the best tool for the job. I should have had it milled.

Worn out piston rings - May have caused the zero compression reading.

Stuck valve - This is possible I guess but when doing the compression test, we put oil in the spark plug hole and still saw nothing good on the gauge. The compression test set told us that test would have indicated a bad valve.

I'm thinking that something is really busted in the engine causing the zero reading, but I haven't dug that far. I have a cramped timeline for this fix considering I'm leaving for Korea in a month so I would really appreciate any help in fixing this problem. Pics to follow...

pierre8524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
pierre8524
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yj

Pics to follow here...
pierre8524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did all the pushrods go back exactly where they came out? I don't know if they are different lengths. If they are, and you mixed the intake and exhaust ones up, you will likely end up with no compression in that cylinder. It's also very possible you bent a valve, and that would prevent compression. Water doesn't compress, and tends to bend weak metal parts.
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Find out where your loosing compression on #3 cylinder first. Put that cylinder at TDC and screw in a compression guage and put compressed air into the cylinder and see where the air is escaping.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
MartyA
2012 WK 

Putting oil into the cylinder isn't going to slow down anything if you've got a stuck/bent valve or have destroyed the piston rings and/or piston. I agree about doing a better compression check. It could be a bent valve although that should have been visible when you had the head off. You did look carefully at the valves, right?

I think it's more likely that you destroyed something deeper in the engine. That seems unlikely at first but given the fixes you've tried I am very doubtful it's something wrong with the head or gasket. One thing you could try (although I have no idea whether this would be effective) is to take a thorough sniff of the oil when you change it after trying to run it again - if you smell gasoline it's going past the rings into the crankcase. You could also try pulling the oil fill plug when or just after it's running to see if you smell gas in there.

BTW, the backfiring is because the gas going into that cylinder isn't igniting so it gets pumped into the exhaust and eventually ignites.
MartyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyA
Putting oil into the cylinder isn't going to slow down anything if you've got a stuck/bent valve or have destroyed the piston rings and/or piston. I agree about doing a better compression check. It could be a bent valve although that should have been visible when you had the head off. You did look carefully at the valves, right?

I think it's more likely that you destroyed something deeper in the engine. That seems unlikely at first but given the fixes you've tried I am very doubtful it's something wrong with the head or gasket. One thing you could try (although I have no idea whether this would be effective) is to take a thorough sniff of the oil when you change it after trying to run it again - if you smell gasoline it's going past the rings into the crankcase. You could also try pulling the oil fill plug when or just after it's running to see if you smell gas in there.

BTW, the backfiring is because the gas going into that cylinder isn't igniting so it gets pumped into the exhaust and eventually ignites.
This. I discovered my number 2 piston had a hole in it from the broken exhaust valve this way. 16 hours later a new to me engine was in it. Did it myself never swapped an engine before that. It was not hard at all. A cracked piston will cause no compression to but may not always be as obvious

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.