HPD60 options - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > HPD60 options

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #91
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
<snip>Joe I got you beat this is 2" DOM for my rear steer
That'll git-r-done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
no need to apologize, it was just a question. if you don't know, you don't know. this thread will be alot of help when i get around to doing my front.
Cool. Its been a learning process each step of the way & I've got a lot more work to do before its all said & done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJordan View Post
It looks like you have your hands full Joe.
Those wheels are *****in!
I agree. I think they look REAL good. I put two of them together last night & I must say, they were way easier to mount on the tires than I thought.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #92
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Joe, those wheels look sick nasty. You done with that axle yet?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #93
jason m
Web Wheeler

Forget the wheels, those red lable's look sexy, Lucky.

I can buy a new set with my Comp number but there up to like 360.00 a tire now, plus I will need some 17's to put them on

Build looks killer can't wate to see some action shots.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #94
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Joe, those wheels look sick nasty. You done with that axle yet?
Yep, there's not much else I can do with it till it gets regeared & ARB installed.

The HPD30 is going to get pulled & I'll be installing this axle in the coming days before it gets regeared & locked. I have to fabricate the outboard mounts & shorten my front driveshaft by ~4-5".

Quote:
Forget the wheels, those red lable's look sexy, Lucky.

I can buy a new set with my Comp number but there up to like 360.00 a tire now, plus I will need some 17's to put them on

Build looks killer can't wate to see some action shots.

Jason.
I think they go well together. Perhaps I've been lucky by finding the used tires & wheels locally. Cruising the for sale & vendor sections has helped alot.

Oddly enough, the tires & wheels came from guys who'll be running in the Stock Modified Class at KOH next year. My understanding is they can't run stickies or non-DOT tires, and the other guy picked up a wheel sponsor, so his beadlocks needed a new home.
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #95
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My understanding is they can't run stickies or non-DOT tires
News to me, but you being on that side of the coast theres alot more used stickys for sale. Around here i will pay the same as new and there probally 37's

Jason.

Unread 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #96
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Joe,

Just read this thread today and looking good. Seen the 35 spline outers purchased but it looks like your rebuild is with the stock stuff. Make sure you put those 35 splines in with drive flanges before you hit the hammers, the 27 spline outers cost me over $500 in repair parts not to mention a 11 hour extraction from wrecking ball. My old Warn 35 spline hubs are now toast from rockrash so drive flanges are the way to go.

You still going to run the 8.8 out back? I really need to try and hook up with you guys this winter.

zman
Unread 07-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #97
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Hey Joe, Just read this thread today and looking good. Seen the 35 spline outers purchased but it looks like your rebuild is with the stock stuff. Make sure you put those 35 splines in with drive flanges before you hit the hammers, the 27 spline outers cost me over $500 in repair parts not to mention a 11 hour extraction from wrecking ball. My old Warn 35 spline hubs are now toast from rockrash so drive flanges are the way to go.

You still going to run the 8.8 out back? I really need to try and hook up with you guys this winter.

zman
Hi Joel, Yea, at this point the stock 35 spline inners will stay, along with the 31 spline stock outers & stock hubs. However, in the coming months that'll change to 35 spline chromo inners & chromo 35 outers and drive flanges (along with a regear & ARB).

An 11 hour extraction from Wrecking Ball sound like no fun AT ALL.

Speaking of Wrecking Ball....I *think* we were doing it when this pic was taken of you, with me following.

At this point I just need to get it under the Jeep & now that I have wheels & tires for it, plus a good portion of the steering stuff (I don't have the hydro stuff yet) its basically ready to install.

Yep, the Super 88 is staying out back for now (as much as I'd rather have something with more beef). I'm gunna adapt & space the rear out some so that I can run the new wheels & make the rear ~4" wider than it is right now. Its getting coilovers and a wheelbase stretch in the rear too, along with a GenRight 23 gallon fuel cell.

The rear tire & Jerry can carrier will go away, along with a new rear flush bumper fabricated that'll replace the current one.
Unread 07-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #98
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wrecking ball is a fun trail, git er done Joe. Before you know it summer is gone and it's hammer time. Night runs are fum too we did Spooners and Turkey claw last Friday night was heck of a nice time with some nice cool weather and a full moon to boot.
By the way how do you like this for a put put trail?

Not a pic, but I am loving this video clip was us playing around on a friend's private trail

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #99
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Joe,

The breakdown may have been on that obsticle, I know it was in that area. It was Glenn Campbells old jeep that I bought for my son, it had a 89 F350 D60 with stock inners.

Glad your getting that front upgraded, well worth it. I have yet to break my Chro Mo's. Other weak link is the knuckles. Being your Hydro Assist you may not have any problems there but you need to watch the area between the stock tierod connection and your highsteer arm, I sheered both stock castings in that area. Good thing I had another jeep with the same knuckles to get the broken one off the trail. Knuckles have been upgraded.
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #100
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
By the way how do you like this for a put put trail?

Not a pic, but I am loving this video clip was us playing around on a friend's private trail.
Looks like it was named correctly (hairy crack). Way more fun than should be allowed.
Quote:
Joe,

The breakdown may have been on that obsticle, I know it was in that area. It was Glenn Campbells old jeep that I bought for my son, it had a 89 F350 D60 with stock inners.

Glad your getting that front upgraded, well worth it. I have yet to break my Chro Mo's. Other weak link is the knuckles. Being your Hydro Assist you may not have any problems there but you need to watch the area between the stock tierod connection and your highsteer arm, I sheered both stock castings in that area. Good thing I had another jeep with the same knuckles to get the broken one off the trail. Knuckles have been upgraded.
Are you running Crane knuckles now, or did you reinforce the stock ones?

Speaking of Glen - what's he up to these days? Also, do you know how to get ahold of Jim Florence (white trash)?
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #101
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, Crane will not work with most aftermarket highsteer arms. Got Reid Racing knuckles.

http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA60.php

Don't see much of Glenn anymore, think he is in Tucson.

Have not talked to Jim in over a year as well. Come to think of it I have hardly done any wheeling in a year or two.
Unread 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #102
jason m
Web Wheeler

Heres how I beefed up my 88 axle a few years ago, sorry for the fuzzy pics, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=knuckle

Never had any failures and Ford knuckles are prone to crack around the top KP area from high the steer arms and 39" plus tire's.
And yes I made it all so I can take them apart ( the high steer arms ) if I had to, but its a king pin it should never need to come apart with proper greese.

Jason.

Unread 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #103
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope, Crane will not work with most aftermarket highsteer arms. Got Reid Racing knuckles.

Don't see much of Glenn anymore, think he is in Tucson.

Have not talked to Jim in over a year as well. Come to think of it I have hardly done any wheeling in a year or two.
Shame on you with all that excellent wheelin' you've got in AZ.
Quote:
Heres how I beefed up my 88 axle a few years ago, sorry for the fuzzy pics, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537749&highlight=knuckle

Never had any failures and Ford knuckles are prone to crack around the top KP area from high the steer arms and 39" plus tire's.
And yes I made it all so I can take them apart ( the high steer arms ) if I had to, but its a king pin it should never need to come apart with proper greese.
Yep, that's what I hear about the knuckles when coupled with big tires & steering mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
Looking good Joe.
Slowly but surely.

What a hassle it was to mount the wheels on it tonight. This sucker fought me tooth & nail but they finally got mounted. The stock steering link is there just so that the knuckles didn't fight me as much when I was trying to install the wheels. Funny how it always wants to use gravity to fight you and swing around.

Trying to manuver a 460+lb axle by yourself isn't much fun.

Unread 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #104
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm starting to fab up outboard spring mounts today & possibly building some ubolt eliminator plates & spring plates.

For the local folks....if you've got nuttin' better to do - feel free to stop on by, watch, pitch-in, give feedback, point & laugh, whatever. I'll probably either fire-up the grill, or run for food at some point. Beverages are in the fridge.

If you don't know where I live or my cell # - PM me a number & I'll call you back. I'll have my laptop & cell out in the garage & check back regularly.
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #105
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've got distant family in Knoxville.

I got one outboard perch basically done (with exception of welding) and a template for the ubolt eliminator done. Pics coming in a few minutes....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.