HPD60 options - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > HPD60 options

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 07-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #76
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

This looks like a good project! It might be of interest due to a project a friend of mine might be getting into. Keep up the good work!

jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #77
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
You are welcome, I am sure you will put it to good use
That's the plan.

I made a little more progress today. I installed the hub bearings, hub nuts, torqued them down to specs, then installed the rest of the hub internals.

Hard to tell, but the hub bearing is back behind all that grease.

This is the first hub nut installed. Notice the pin on the hub nut at ~1:30 position. The first nut gets tightened down to 50ft lbs then backed back out ~90*. Then you add the hub washer (which is keyed to the spindle and has holes in it for the pin) & then I tightened down the second nut to 50ft lbs & called it good.

Next up was the hub internals going in & then add the two snap rings. One snap ring goes on the end of the axle shaft, while the other large snap ring goes on the hub itself.

I installed the rest of the hub internals, but don't show that here because I showed them earlier being removed & wanted to cut down on some of the repetition.

Here's both ends fully assembled:

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #78
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, hey Art...I took a measurement for simulation purposes to see appoximately where the high steer knuckle bolt would end up at & this is what I saw.

It looks like ~6.25" of backspace room using a piece of tube that's 7/8" in diameter. Naturally, this doesn't account for the room needed for the heim, but I think there's enough room if I go with a 4.75" BS wheel, but I'm not 100% sure yet. We'll see.

Unread 07-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #79
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
I've seen that back yard... I'm surprised that grill can fit back there!

nice progress, btw... get'r'done!
That you have, Randy.

Us SoCal folk gotta have small backyards, that way you northern folks can't accuse us of wanting all yer water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyTim View Post
Show Off!!!
It was an early Fathers Day present.

Well, I've been busy with family matters, blah blah blah....but I did get these items in from RuffStuff Specialties (thanks Dan!) and steering arms from Artec (thanks Nate!). Plus, I went out & bought some 1.5"x.25" wall DOM locally for my steering links.

These are the 7/8" heims, weld in bungs, jam nuts, Way Back shackle hangers for outboarding the leafs etc:

THAT's a serious steering arm! Plus most of the rest of the crossover steering install items from Artec.

Unread 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #80
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Nice steering arms! Looks like they are angled. Don't the heims eliminate the need for the angle? Or is that angle still benefitial?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #81
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the standard 9 degree angle. It helps with keeping the heims neutral throughout the throw of the knuckle on it's axis. Still benifitial and eliminates the need for misalignment spacers but people use them anyway for the smaller grade 8 bolts.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #82
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Like mentioned, my understanding is that its still a good thing to have the 9* angle machined into the arms.

I found some wheels to go with the new lug pattern & should be picking these up tonight.

Unread 07-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #83
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
pirate score...
Exactly. I got some red label Krawlers from there too.

The wheels are now safely at rest in my garage. I think I'll try to put one of them on tonight & see how that goes.

I'd like to use my compressor & impact to initially turn the bolts - but that sucker is noisy & I wouldn't wanna wake the neighborhood.
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #84
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome build. i am so glad i found this thread! i just brought home a set of tons a couple weeks ago. they need alot of work and frankly i was a little concerned about the steering arms. what backspacing is on those rims? i will be going the hmmwv wheel and tire route to suck the tires as close to the jeep as possible. i know the stock arms are a no go for my application. would your new arms fit inside a 16.5" rim with the monstrous backspacing of the military rim?

sorry if this has been answered, i just skimmed and posted. i am at work and can't spend the time at the moment to read the entire way through.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #85
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5
awesome build. i am so glad i found this thread! i just brought home a set of tons a couple weeks ago. they need alot of work and frankly i was a little concerned about the steering arms. what backspacing is on those rims? i will be going the hmmwv wheel and tire route to suck the tires as close to the jeep as possible. i know the stock arms are a no go for my application. would your new arms fit inside a 16.5" rim with the monstrous backspacing of the military rim?

sorry if this has been answered, i just skimmed and posted. i am at work and can't spend the time at the moment to read the entire way through.
Are you going to have them recentered or run the stock 7"s of backspacing? I think 3.5" bs is a minimum for most hi steer
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #86
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Are you going to have them recentered or run the stock 7"s of backspacing? I think 3.5" bs is a minimum for most hi steer
that's why i'm asking him the question. i am leaving them at the stock 7" backspacing. i need a high steer arm that will actually fit inside the rim, i know it's do-able i just need to find the right arm to tuck in there, or a suitable one to modify for the task. i do not feel comfortable fabricating one myself (i will if i need to). there is a lot of measuring and steering isn't something to "get close enough". i need the huge backspacing to get a stock stance in the rear and approximately 1.5"-2" extra width per side on the front. otherwise i'm headed down stupid huge flares road or possibly custom axle shafts lane. neither of which are on my gps at the moment. this jeep needs to be DD ready when i'm done.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #87
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
They are 4.75" BS.

I don't know if the Artec arms would work with the set-up you mentioned. I don't know if a Chevy or Dodge kingpin knuckle would make a difference as far as wheel clearance either. Sorry I'm of no help in that aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Yup, those rims are nice... me likey!
Me too.
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #88
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post

If your going to run stock DRW hubs then you can use what ever arms you want, if your using a SRW then you need steering arms that are made to clear H-1's.
You also need to chop the OEM steer arm off if your going to run H-1's on a SRW hub. So the arms that conect to the OEM hole will not work with H-1's and SRW hubs, well unless you run a 1" spacer.

Joe I got you beat this is 2" DOM for my rear steer,

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #89
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

no need to apologize, it was just a question. if you don't know, you don't know. this thread will be alot of help when i get around to doing my front.

Unread 07-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #90
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like you have your hands full Joe.
Those wheels are *****in!

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.