HPD60 options - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > HPD60 options

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 06-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #61
1 ton yj
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Milford NJ
Posts: 2,058
Joe those shocks look good! Looking forward to seeing how you do the rear link setup, we just picked up brackets and joints to do Shawn's rear 4 link soon!

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #62
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,876
Joe that's sick nasty. Feel free to throw up pics of the install on those in this thread as well.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #63
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Also regarding the knuckles, everyone I know who runs a ford 60 has had problems with cracked or broken knuckles. Inspect them regularly. Take a look on pirates, there's been a few threads where guys have added material around the knuckles to make them last.
there is a guy that sells a good priced Kit. its preformed .25 plate that you weld to it. I plan on doing that this winter after wheeling season is over.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
don't post threads that poke Poke!
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #64
Poke
runtime error = 0
 
Poke's Avatar
2015 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

jealous

If you are only going to link one end, why the rear and not the front? I never really understood why linking one over the other is better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
don't post threads that poke Poke!
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #65
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Joe those shocks look good! Looking forward to seeing how you do the rear link setup, we just picked up brackets and joints to do Shawn's rear 4 link soon!
Thanks. They are courtesy of Sway-A-Way from the volunteer raffle at KOH.

The 4-link will be a combination of RuffStuff (truss & link mounts), PolyPerf (heat treated 4130 tube material, weld-in bungs, towers & lower coilover mounts), Currie (adjustable johnny joints) plus some stuff I'm forgetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Joe that's sick nasty. Feel free to throw up pics of the install on those in this thread as well.
Yep, pics will be added here and more than likely in a build type thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
jealous

If you are only going to link one end, why the rear and not the front? I never really understood why linking one over the other is better.
Good question, and here's why I chose to do the rear coilover prior to the front (besides $ to do only one end for now). As far as "better" goes, I think it depends on each situation, and in my case, short term goals.

The front suspension seems to work pretty well, while the rear (comparatively speaking) does not cycle as well. I also chose to do the rear first due to wanting to eliminate the rear traction bar, add a rear truss, and get the stretch I want to achieve.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #66
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,331
My son Rusty assisted with some "test assembly" of the hubs, rotors, calipers, pads, late lastnight.

I still need to rattle can some heat paint on the calipers, and do the kingpin / bearing inspection & final assembly.


Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #67
1 ton yj
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Milford NJ
Posts: 2,058
Joe you probably already have this covered, but when you order your Johnny joints, get them with the 5/8" bolts. The 9/16" aren't enough. I replaced all of mine during my hammers prep this winter, and after 6 days there, all the bolts are bent.

Nice score on the shocks!
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #68
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Joe you probably already have this covered, but when you order your Johnny joints, get them with the 5/8" bolts. The 9/16" aren't enough. I replaced all of mine during my hammers prep this winter, and after 6 days there, all the bolts are bent.

Nice score on the shocks!
Thanks for the tip.

I picked-up a set of these as part of the steering solution:

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #69
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock
 
krughzn's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: El Cajon, Ca
Posts: 907
EVERYTHING is looking really nice, Joe. I really need to get over there and help(pester) you. I have next weekend off. If you're working on something, I can come over and give you a hand.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #70
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Thanks for the tip.

I picked-up a set of these as part of the steering solution:

I would have liked to see those when I messed with the steering on mine, however I just cut some plates out off 3/4" steel plate and bolted those to my Ballistic arms, made some spacers out of some round stock on the lathe and then moved the tierod up as high as I could get away with, with my steering setup. I will eventually get some Reid knuckles though.



Do some measuring as to back spacing of your rims, my double sheer plates sit underneath the hi steer arms and have just enough clearance from the front tires, The arms you got move that point higher yet, you can always fix that with wheel spacers but why not get it all figured out before hand right.
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #71
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
EVERYTHING is looking really nice, Joe. I really need to get over there and help(pester) you. I have next weekend off. If you're working on something, I can come over and give you a hand.
Thanks, Mike. The front axle is about to be pulled (fairly easy project, but I need a place to put it beside outside). Today I degreased the snot out of the undercarriage and pressure washed everything so less dirt/grime will have to be delt with while working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
I would have liked to see those when I messed with the steering on mine, however I just cut some plates out off 3/4" steel plate and bolted those to my Ballistic arms, made some spacers out of some round stock on the lathe and then moved the tierod up as high as I could get away with, with my steering setup. I will eventually get some Reid knuckles though.

Do some measuring as to back spacing of your rims, my double sheer plates sit underneath the hi steer arms and have just enough clearance from the front tires, The arms you got move that point higher yet, you can always fix that with wheel spacers but why not get it all figured out before hand right.
Looks pretty dang good!

Good catch. Yep, wheel backspacing is more of a concern with these type arms. After speaking with Nate at Artec, as long as I don't use a big backspace (like H1's) I should be okay - but certainly something to keep an eye on prior to purchase.

More than likely I'll go with a set of 17x8's (or there abouts) since I'll be running a 37x12.50x17 tire. Not sure what backspacing will work the best - but I'm thinking ~4.75.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #72
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Thanks, Mike. The front axle is about to be pulled (fairly easy project, but I need a place to put it beside outside). Today I degreased the snot out of the undercarriage and pressure washed everything so less dirt/grime will have to be delt with while working on it.

Looks pretty dang good!

Good catch. Yep, wheel backspacing is more of a concern with these type arms. After speaking with Nate at Artec, as long as I don't use a big backspace (like H1's) I should be okay - but certainly something to keep an eye on prior to purchase.

More than likely I'll go with a set of 17x8's (or there abouts) since I'll be running a 37x12.50x17 tire. Not sure what backspacing will work the best - but I'm thinking ~4.75.
My rims are 12" wide with 4.75 back spacing and with the tires that balloon quite a bit I am pretty sure it would not clear those arms

Also I have a new 35 spline Cjromemoly stub shaft for a Ford Dana 60 brand new that I cannot use, Interested? 65 bucks and it's yours



By the way I have some 16.5 x12 rims with 5" backspacing you could borrow for fitting purposes
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #73
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
My rims are 12" wide with 4.75 back spacing and with the tires that balloon quite a bit I am pretty sure it would not clear those arms

Also I have a new 35 spline Chromoly stub shaft for a Ford Dana 60 brand new that I cannot use, Interested? 65 bucks and it's yours

By the way I have some 16.5 x12 rims with 5" backspacing you could borrow for fitting purposes
Wow, great offers. They are much appreciated.

I should have the high steer arms in a few days. I'm hoping to install one arm & then go to a local wheel supply store & see what fits according to size. I dunno if they'll accomodate me - but I believe they will.

As far as the 35 spline stub shaft goes.....SOLD.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #74
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,331
Goes to show....one mans junk is another mans treasure.

Warn 27 spline chromo stub shaft top - aw12345's old (Joes new ) 35 spline chromo D60 stub shaft below.

Thanks, Art!

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #75
Louie4
Powah Injanir
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Burgers, links & cold beverages are available.
Sounds like that's not the only beef you got looking at that new 35 spline stub shaft.

Wish I could partake in the burgers and beverages.
__________________
Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.