HPD60 options - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > HPD60 options

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #31
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
here they all are, just out of the packaging

Since I had just bough a 79 Ford Dana 60 HPhousing and Chevy outers it took me a while to figure out what would take up all the slop on the stub shafts.
That is definitely what you need, the whole shebang comes as a kit.

Unread 06-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #32
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is going to be helpful with my Dodge D60 rebuild I have coming up. Good info. Love the pics. The more the merrier. Keep em coming.

When you get to the king pin rebuild, check out Brent's mini tutorial here King Pin Rebuild
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #33
MGDWJ
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

On your kingpin rebuild the easiest waythat I have found to het them out is get your 7/8 allen wrench in it a hit it with a big hammer. 4 or 5 hits and mine broke free.
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #34
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on that. Yep, that's an option I have been thinking about. I've been tossing around the idea of running 35 spline drive flanges as well to help keep things a little narrower.

BTW: Since you're a Grand Junction guy, if you run into Wally or Carrie tell 'em I said hi. They are long time friends of mine.
Since you aren't going to be running a spool, drive flanges would likely be fine.

I know Wally, but I doubt he knows me. He's somewhat a legend among the local wheelers for his driving skills (or lack thereof ).
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #35
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

about the kingpin. a rebuild kit is a good thing, however, is there really a need to go to all the trouble of removing the kingpin itself. its basically a coned shape piece of metal. if it still looks good why bother. specs call for it to be installed at around 600ft/lbs. although no one actually does this, if i didnt build from scratch i think id just leave the factory one and use all the other stuff in the kit.

i had to download all the stuff posted on pirate and make a dana60 manual. i assembled and disassembled 100 times or so mocking everything up.
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #36
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This thing is going to be a beast, Joe. Let me know if you need any help. I guess you solved the mystery of the missing wheel lugs.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #37
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
OK Joe, my boss says you have to quit posting updates on your progress for now so I can get some work done today.....

Looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm certain it will be top notch no matter the direction you end up taking this one.
Yea, I'll stop postin' pics.

Seems the more I learn about this beast, the more options I keep hearing about.....which is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
same. sorry I had to bail on you. gotta take the work when I can get it
No worries - happens to me alot too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyTim View Post
This is going to be helpful with my Dodge D60 rebuild I have coming up. Good info. Love the pics. The more the merrier. Keep em coming.

When you get to the king pin rebuild, check out Brent's mini tutorial here King Pin Rebuild
Cool. I checked it out and it appears I need to be a member there before I can see the pics - right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDWJ View Post
On your kingpin rebuild the easiest way that I have found to get them out is to get your 7/8 allen wrench in it a hit it with a big hammer. 4 or 5 hits and mine broke free.
Yep, I've heard of a few ways to get that monster loose. I saw a guy use a 4-5' braker bar with an extension on it to loosen it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
Since you aren't going to be running a spool, drive flanges would likely be fine.

I know Wally, but I doubt he knows me. He's somewhat a legend among the local wheelers for his driving skills (or lack thereof ).
I'm leaning towards an selectable spool ARB since that's what I'm running now & like it so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
about the kingpin. a rebuild kit is a good thing, however, is there really a need to go to all the trouble of removing the kingpin itself. its basically a coned shape piece of metal. if it still looks good why bother. specs call for it to be installed at around 600ft/lbs. although no one actually does this, if i didnt build from scratch i think id just leave the factory one and use all the other stuff in the kit.

i had to download all the stuff posted on pirate and make a dana60 manual. i assembled and disassembled 100 times or so mocking everything up.
The D60 tech article stuff on pirate has indeed been instrumental. As you know, I haven't done anything special as far as disassembly goes - most of it is self explanitory as you go about it.

I wanted to post something like this thread here since the D60 seems to not get much tech posting here on this forum, although there's plenty of folks here that certainly know there way around them as I'm finding out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
This thing is going to be a beast, Joe. Let me know if you need any help. I guess you solved the mystery of the missing wheel lugs.
Yea, I found all 5 of the "missing" lugs. They were all loose & trapped between the rotor & dust shield. I suspect that somebody started to pull this thing apart & for whatever reason screwed up putting it back together.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the weekend was filled with my youngest sons high school graduation ceremony, two parties (or was it three? ) one of my sons moving back in with me for the time being, and a garage reorganization project. I did end-up borrowing a hoist from a friend so that I could move the axle from my trailer into my garage. Its now resting on a couple furniture dollies and jack stands.

I often work by myself on my own projects - so moving a 460+lbs axle around isn't much fun by yourself and can be dangerous. They seem to have a mind of there own and the weight can shift suddenly. I wanted to prevent a fall or injury. Plus, with the weather getting warm/hot, I needed to get it out of the sun & into my garage. The hoist made quick work of that.

I need to cut the unnecessary brackets off the axle & I didn't want to use my plasma cutter & start my wooden deck trailer on fire.

Unread 06-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #39
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I played a bit more today. Mostly I ground down the old mounts and inspected the HPD60 differential internals.

After some work:

Unread 06-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #40
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

With a scarfing tip for your torch, you can cut much closer to the axle tubes will save you a ton of time grinding
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #41
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
With a scarfing tip for your torch, you can cut much closer to the axle tubes will save you a ton of time grinding
I don't have a torch.
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #42
MGDWJ
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you decide to install new kingpins let me know and I will mail you my allen wrench. Well as long as you return it to me. It wasn't cheap. Also I don't know what gears yours has but I have a set of 4.10 gears for it if you want.
Unread 06-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #43
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I don't have a torch.
Well somebody did, Jeep building, torches, plasma cutters and welders go hand in hand. As for a king pin socket, I got one of them darlings you could use, a little bit of heat from a torch and they come right out
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #44
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDWJ View Post
If you decide to install new kingpins let me know and I will mail you my allen wrench. Well as long as you return it to me. It wasn't cheap. Also I don't know what gears yours has but I have a set of 4.10 gears for it if you want.
I'm not sure if I'm going to rebuild the kingpins or not yet. They seem to be in okay shape as far as I can tell. I certainly appreciate the offer to borrow the allen.

I appreciate the gear offer as well. The diff tag read that it had 4.10's and when I bought it I turned the shafts & counted yoke revolutions & they matched - so it does have 4.10's. I also counted the teeth on the ring & pinion to triple check.

I'm going to regear it and install an ARB, so the 4.10's and carrier are of no use to me. I'll possibly toss them on craigslist to see if I can sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Well somebody did, Jeep building, torches, plasma cutters and welders go hand in hand. As for a king pin socket, I got one of them darlings you could use, a little bit of heat from a torch and they come right out
Yep, I used my plasma to cut those old brackets off. I was having a heck of a time getting close to the area I wanted to cut with the inner-c, knuckle and housing where the spring perch is cast into it in the way.

I tried to turn the plasma down so that I didn't accidentally gouge the axle tubes and scar those up. That would have sucked even worse than the extra grinding and use of a cutting wheel I had to do.

Lack of planning on my part and not looking into a better tip is my fault. I definetly could have used a different shape tip than the standard tips I have for cutting. Something with a bend to it to help follow the contour of the tube would have helped greatly. I need to expand on my plasma accessories and tip options are something I certainly could use.

I may take you up on the darling kingpin socket. In the coming weeks I'll be towing my Jeep up to Quail Valley so that Blaine (mrblaine) and I start the coilover, tummy tuck, GenRight tub fuel cell, D60 axle install and steering work on it. So I'll be near the Ontario area often as work progresses.

BTW: I use to live in Ontario many moons ago.
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #45
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As you can see, the knuckles and adjacent areas could sure use some attention. So....that's where I focused today.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

More pics to follow of the hub internals cleaned-up and caliper bracket & spindle....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.