hp44/50/60 smash up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > hp44/50/60 smash up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

hp44/50/60 smash up

I read a ton on tons but clearance is the issue. I read a bunch on ugly d30 sized joint in d44 axles (fronts) I know all the UPS downs and inherent pains in the a$$. I know it's been done but can't find where to get the proper pieces. I'm hoping someone can either provide the where? I already have the how? And direct my to the correct place for a spool in a hopefully d44 35 spline flavor (thank you in advance jaason, I'm sure you'll be along shortly) or maybe its hopeless in which case pat me on the butt and send me to bed.

I want the clearance of my hp 44, I believe the kits are still on the market for the d50 gears to cram in there, and I want to run a set of 60 outers. In retrospect I should have done this before when I built the 44 but now I'm thinking for the price of some chromos I should probably build the axle up before spending on the 30 sp shafts. I'd rather go big altogether and not build a 3rd axle. I have seen the ridiculousness and I want in!

Thanks.

Unread 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
jason m
your ad here...

LOL here I am....

What size tires are you going to run? What outer C's, king pin or balljoint?

The Jana Kits are a very well thought out kit, with that said whats the amount you want to spend on ground clearance.
No matter how much clearance you gain from a diff it will get hung up sooner or later.
Bigger diffs snag more but can take more to. I plow my axle's threw rocks like there the leading edge of a dozer blade.

Now that has been said, let get down to it.
I dont like the dana 44/60 outer hybrids, its asking to much of the R&P and way to much on the pinion.
Ive seen dana 50's take a crap ton of abuse and would think with a good driver a dana 50 set of gears stuffed into a HP housing ( the dana 50 outers ) would be a killer combo.

So maybe thats the starting point, find a dana 50 from a 98 up F-250, they will have all the outers and maybe a set of HP 4.10 gears that you can use. Unless of course your going lower than that, then its off to gear store.

Jana sell his kits on Pirate and Ive heard nothing but possitve things about them, in fact I was very close to buying a dana 70/80 hybrid from him ( dana 70 housing with dana 80 gears ). But decided to just keep building my Eaton axle's.

Are you sure we cant talk you into a super size meal, aka a normall dana 60? I know what you have in mind, what I dont know is how far down the rabbit hole your wallet can take ya.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i would personally go do a 609 in your situation. yeah, you've already got something, but you'll need to do a lot of work to that housing you have already to get where you want to be.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on a 609. The hybrid Dana axles are fun to think about and would probably be a blast to build but man, that's a lot of time and money on something that will likely limit you not too far in the future.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I don't "plan " on going more than 37"(actual height) so maybe 38-39 advertise height tire. Although I never had planned to link rear either. I see the part about out growing this crap before it gets paid for. I will look into the 609 and some other options also. It seemed the decent route for the projected size and with the SBC going in I have no fears with the 9 but the hp44 I thought could use some shafts. Then I thought if I bought nice shaft set it should probably have larger joints and that was where the 60 outers comes in, then the ring seems to be the fire cracker. This crap seems to snowball quickly.

Jason I can realistically spend what I want on it,not trying to be in debt over this but for the price of a stock 60 from anything here I could rebuild the whole truck. I found a ball joint ford 60 and he wants 900 for stock junk. Even our junk yards these days know what we looking for and how we want tons. I bought the 9 for 60 @ jy, then I went back and they wanted $550 for a hp Ford d44. Found my 44 for 250 +a tank of gas.

I'm stubborn I know. I don't really want to get into this too much, just wanted opinions of why or why not before tons. Was going to save the tons for the yj down the road. I have a buddy running his scout on 44/9 and 5.13's/38's but he breaking shafts a lot more than I'd like. I know you guys have built some stupid stuff that's great but takes a toll on the pocketbooks. But if it works why not right?

Guy a nice quote on some 38-13.5-15 creepys and that will probably be the icing on the xj. No bigger is really needed. I'm not too pedal happy so maybe I'll just see how it holds up as is and cross the fingers.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

After a bit more reading it seems the 609 will cost an arm and leg. Hi 9 alone is worth more than the rig. (I give 2 different guys crap about auto meter gauge sets that are worth more than the scout and rx7 they are in). Don't think I can justify that or keep it low pinion. My 9 well I love the axle but the low pinion front and rear I'm sure I'll mangle.

So, saw on pirates a guy ran jk d44 gears(LP rears) in his front lp axle and with all the pretty pictures the ring isn't as big as a d60 but the pinion is very close. So, apparently arb makes 35sp for this. This seems like a better option possibly. I will probably pick up some kp housing and hack it . I have seen a few, and had one once but ditched it due to size(its okay to hate me, cost me $75, I sold it for $175) it now resides in an xtrrra in Moab. This was years ago and I didn't know what I had.
Will be fairly costly either way but getting to a stopping point with the xj will be soon and then the yj, well I'm still curious what the future holds.....

Wife hasn't had her xj long and I've already got 2 9's and a 44 sitting in waiting for some more chewy xj goodness. This crap never stops.
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
jason m
your ad here...

What about a shaved dana 60 housing? With the right shave and not touching the ring you get close to a 1" clearance in clearance gain. Thats very close to the what a 44 would would offer but your not putting the weak points of the 44 into it the build.

For the rear get a dana 60U or a 70U there the smooth bottom housings, the U models. The 70 would have the 35 spline 1.5" shafts and is only 5/16" or so bigger than the 60.
It go's againts every fiber in my body to say use a 60 or 70 rear as I am a die hard 14 bolt guy, but with a max tire of 37's its just not needed a 60/70 would be fine.

I know what your trying to do, but I think in the end with all the labor in matching up a 44 housing a shaved 60 will give you what your looking for. I do alot of housings ( well having done alot since the economy is been in the tank ) but I have all the line up bars, a decent size lathe and alot of time into fabbing custom parts along with axle's.
I never did a 44/60 before, but cant see it be to hard to pull off, but it come's down to cost and time.
Buy the time your done with all the custom stuff like 35 spline hardware for the 44 and matching tube's and lining up C's a shaved 60 is alot easyer, IMO.

Hey this Jeepforum not Pirate most here will support you, but we will also point out when we see something thats over thought out

Jason.

Unread 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, I'm definitely saving tons for the yj. So we will just run the xj as is and when my surplus of d44 shafts is gone I will just go chromo axles and ctm's . If that breaks I'll just have to be nicer and or smarter with it. I just fear the SBC will twist me all up. Won't be more than 300hp/350ftlbs and that's being generous.

I had read a few 14b shave threads and already want to get deep in the yj but wife says one at a time so back burner that. Plus she just got a lift, d44/9 EB stuff, and I have a fresh set of 35's sitting that I likely won't use.

Less skinny pedal. Never had that problem with the 2.5, it was all skinny pedal with the 9 behind me.
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Have you seen the comparison between the newer jk D44 ring and pinion, and a 60 r&p? They are pretty close in size. If you did the Jana jk44 kit and some 50 or 60 outers, I think it'd be a killer combo.

My $.02

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacksahara View Post
Have you seen the comparison between the newer jk D44 ring and pinion, and a 60 r&p? They are pretty close in size. If you did the Jana jk44 kit and some 50 or 60 outers, I think it'd be a killer combo.

My $.02
it'll cost him quite a bit to do still. in the range of a 609.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
it'll cost him quite a bit to do still. in the range of a 609.
If he's going to regear, the cost is very similar. With gears comes and install kit which is around $125-150 or more for a decent one, so subtract that from the jana kit, and you are looking at around 150-175 or so extra cost.

Not very much extra for alot of beef.

I just bought a pair of scout D44's for $150 bucks. I know it varies by area though.

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
jason m
your ad here...

But what cost even more money is the to convert a 44 to except the 35 spline inner shafts. And how do you address the inner axle seal in the 44 to allow a 1.5" shaft to slide threw.
Im sure Jana kits have this issue solved as there good kits, but why be cought with your pants down with a custom seal or a one of a kind part in some remote location.

If your going to buy a dana 60 just to chop the ends off then just run a dana 60 thats shaved and be done with it, live with the fact that the diff might snag 10-20% more than what a 44 would and just run it. Its a 60 it can take the abuse. I know Ive had one in a beat Jeep for 8 years now.

Jason.

Unread 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

blacksahara I did mention that in post 6. I'm gonna rum this until I am tired of replacing shafts and then go with chromos and ctms. My original thought being that all the goods I have now can be easily handed down to the wife. Its nice to have that, when I out grow something its still there until she wants to go bigger. She doesn't want full width axles, but I have a set 44/9 for her already. I've always wheeled pretty conservative. Now the added power to the gearing is what I think will make something give.

I'm keeping half's for xj. Gonna buggy the yj later.

I can get Chevy 44's dime a dozen and scout 44's locked and geared for about what you just paid.I have 4.88's now. Gonna save big gears and axles for another project and another day.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

not sure of final cost, but what about just going with a dynatrack or similar aftermarket housing/axle? i know the pro rock 60 has more ground clearance than stock D44 does.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
not sure of final cost, but what about just going with a dynatrack or similar aftermarket housing/axle? i know the pro rock 60 has more ground clearance than stock D44 does.
Yes but a pro rock 60 what? A pro rock 60 with king pin outers or ball joints, just the cneter section and the OP adds his own tubes and builds from that out.
He still needs to source the doner axle, if its a DRW then needs to find SRW hubs. Thats when it starts adding up, alot.
Find a srw 60, shave the housing, leave the ring alone, install and beat the crap out of it for many many years.
its really the easyest/cheapest way to get the bottom line I think of what he's looking for.

Now setting up for comp or cone dogging yes some type of 9" with 60 outers is best, as your now keeping the weight down. But for a trail rig the under sprung weight wont hurt.

Plus if its a weight thing then the OP can ditch some belly flab, just kidding Itrail

Jason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.