home made long arm ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > home made long arm ideas

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
prariepunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tj home made long arm ideas

Hi everybody, I was thinking about making my own long arms (upper & lower) for my '05 TJ... I was thinking about using DOM 2" tube with threaded inserts welded in for johnny joints... I have no tools (but friends who do) & my TJ is my DD. I know the lower control arm mounts will need to be ground off & new ones welded on & something fabricated for the upper arms to mount too... I have a 4" Skyjacker lift on it now but really don't like the lower control arms, they're really light & just feel cheap... I'm just looking for ideas here & I figured this would be the place to ask.

[-OlllllllO-]

prariepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

2" .25w DOM is a good size for lowers and with the 1.5" ID, allows for 1.5" OD 1.25" ID thread inserts for the 1.25" shank JJ's. 1.75" x .125w tube will work well for the uppers. As for the mounts, you'll want to address the axle end as well. The lower mounts hang way too low and the upper mounts will be too low. At that point, there's no reason to keep the track bar so triangulation in at least the uppers will be needed. Also, when going longer and putting the mounts where they need to be on the frame, you'll likely run into clearance issues with the tub (and uppers) and the frame (lowers), all dependent upon how long the arms are and where they're mounted of course. I'd suggest doing some good research on link suspension geometry and reading some build threads where this topic is covered.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
ET48
1986 CJ7 

You can check out my TJ build thread for some ideas, for mounts and etc if you would like.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...-jeeps-617235/
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used 2x.250 wall DOM for my lowers and upper. I used Ruff Stuff heims and threaded inserts

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.