home brew full hydro steering pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > home brew full hydro steering pics

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

home brew full hydro steering pics

Is there anyone out here that has some detailed pics of home brew hydro steering on an old cj? I'm building a 76 cj5 and ill be running 37" tires and want to have better steering on a budget. Jeep parts r high these days lol. I've used the search function but I guess my key words don't match . Thanks

Sent from my jeep while hanging from a cliff

90xjcjf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

there was a write up about drilling out the fitting on the brakes to the next drill size I did it and it helps. also try running a cooler.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

My problem is that I don't want the box getting pulled off the frame. I had a xj and the box on it tore thru the frame

Unread 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

they sell HD brackets and braces 4WD.com
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I know that but I think hydro would be a better option. I'm not ready for the steering yet, the engine is just now almost together, then i got the rear suspension to build and then the front end

Unread 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
jason m

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...steer-1304160/

I got some info in my build. Maybe around page 3-4.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m

Jason.
Thanks man ill take a look at it

Unread 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Jason.
That was a good thread to look off of. That rear cylinder looks like the one they have at tractor supply. Thanks again

Unread 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xjcjf View Post
That was a good thread to look off of. That rear cylinder looks like the one they have at tractor supply. Thanks again

Yep its a tractor supply one all right, what ever fittings and lines I did'nt reuse from the doner fork truck I bought them new from there.

Jason.

Unread 02-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Yep its a tractor supply one all right, what ever fittings and lines I did'nt reuse from the doner fork truck I bought them new from there.

Jason.
Ok so u used a fork lift steering valve. I haven't read all the way thru ur build just looked at the pics u had. Ill read all of it tonight so I can see how u set it up. Also ur still running a 4.0l and are u still using the stock pump and pulley? Ill probably get that answer when I read the whole thing lol. Thanks for the nice reply, I was expecting someone to be rude bout what I'm wanting to do. It's nice to get friendly advice. Do u have any other closer pics of the front end?

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
jason m

No problem on the help thats what this site is for. No I dont think I have to many detail pics of the front ram installed or the mount.

Yes still running a 4.0 they have plenty of power to break the 39's loose, no on the stock pump. I run a Chevy P-pump in stock from, In other words I didn't mod the pump, like drilling the port open to the next step or strecting the pressure spring.

The fork truck valve is a 4.5 cubic inch sized valve. So what that means in terms of us in the offroad world is it will turn ruffly 4 turns lock to lock. Its no the "best" valve to run but they can be found cheap and are open center valves with a built in gyrotor.
What that means if I loose engine power the valve has a internal pump so steering is hard to do but can still be done.
Think about it a fork truck driving threw a warehouse, runs out of propane it still needs to coast and steer to a stop.

Valves to avoid are closed center ones as they use a differnet style pump to run them. Best way to tell a closed center is if it has a 5th port on the side, if no port still run the numbers, it could have no 5th prt and still be closed center. The lack of a 5th port is a good spotting guide in the feild when looking for valves, but again numbers are the tell all.

I might have not posted alot of info on the valve or valves I used but I'm happy to answer any questions here for ya.

Oh lastly a stock T/C pump on a 4.0 could work or would work, but pump mods will be needed and a larger Res will be needed. I can explain those if you decide to go that rought.

Jason.

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No problem on the help thats what this site is for. No I dont think I have to many detail pics of the front ram installed or the mount.

Yes still running a 4.0 they have plenty of power to break the 39's loose, no on the stock pump. I run a Chevy P-pump in stock from, In other words I didn't mod the pump, like drilling the port open to the next step or strecting the pressure spring.

The fork truck valve is a 4.5 cubic inch sized valve. So what that means in terms of us in the offroad world is it will turn ruffly 4 turns lock to lock. Its no the "best" valve to run but they can be found cheap and are open center valves with a built in gyrotor.
What that means if I loose engine power the valve has a internal pump so steering is hard to do but can still be done.
Think about it a fork truck driving threw a warehouse, runs out of propane it still needs to coast and steer to a stop.

Valves to avoid are closed center ones as they use a differnet style pump to run them. Best way to tell a closed center is if it has a 5th port on the side, if no port still run the numbers, it could have no 5th prt and still be closed center. The lack of a 5th port is a good spotting guide in the feild when looking for valves, but again numbers are the tell all.

I might have not posted alot of info on the valve or valves I used but I'm happy to answer any questions here for ya.

Oh lastly a stock T/C pump on a 4.0 could work or would work, but pump mods will be needed and a larger Res will be needed. I can explain those if you decide to go that rought.

Jason.
Awesome, that helps a ton. I need to find a fork truck salvage around the southwest Missouri area. Ill save this info for reference. Glad ppl will still help unlike on pirate.

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Ill be running a xj 4.0l cuz I ha it left over from my xj. Ill snag a chevy pump, or I have an old 304 amc that was in the cj when I got it that has a p/s pump on it, wonder if that will work.

Unread 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xjcjf View Post
Ill be running a xj 4.0l cuz I ha it left over from my xj. Ill snag a chevy pump, or I have an old 304 amc that was in the cj when I got it that has a p/s pump on it, wonder if that will work.

Not sure on the pumps on the AMC's, they look alot like P syle pumps but the reasion I went Chevy is I know the ones pulled from a one ton ( even a two wheel drive one ) would have a hydro boost braking system. Which means it will have a higher than normall pressure to run the hydro brakes and the steering at once if needed.

I had to make my own bracket and used a PSC 3.5" pully on the pump to get a faster spin speed at slower RPMs. There are mods like drilling the port over one step to increase flow, and stretching the spring to put more pressure on the out flow, that will make for more pressure in the system.

Theres even a certon amount of washers on the pressure port fitting that can make differnet pressures. So yes theres alot a stock pump can be made to handle and there tons cheaper than a after market one, which for the most part ar the same things as a stock one with Mods done to it.

Jason.

Unread 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
90xjcjf
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Not sure on the pumps on the AMC's, they look alot like P syle pumps but the reasion I went Chevy is I know the ones pulled from a one ton ( even a two wheel drive one ) would have a hydro boost braking system. Which means it will have a higher than normall pressure to run the hydro brakes and the steering at once if needed.

I had to make my own bracket and used a PSC 3.5" pully on the pump to get a faster spin speed at slower RPMs. There are mods like drilling the port over one step to increase flow, and stretching the spring to put more pressure on the out flow, that will make for more pressure in the system.

Theres even a certon amount of washers on the pressure port fitting that can make differnet pressures. So yes theres alot a stock pump can be made to handle and there tons cheaper than a after market one, which for the most part ar the same things as a stock one with Mods done to it.

Jason.
I knew there was a way to do what I wanted with parts that don't cost over 1200-1800 dollars. U have no idea what kind I help u have been. I love jeep stuff and I don't have an unlimited bank account lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.