HO72 vs. 14 bolt. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > HO72 vs. 14 bolt.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Those HO72's are big in the pulling truck world around here. many guys run them instead of the standard 14ff axle.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #32
Redneck92

As far strength goes I think the conclusion is the HO72 is stronger than the 14 bolt. But the 14 bolt wins in the aftermarket support and availability, plus they are cheap. Also the 14 bolt doesn't really show it's weakness till you get on 42+ and high horsepower. As far as stronger axle or comparable, the Dana 70 is about equal, a Dana 80 would be the next step as far as axles in factory form.

Carolina Trailblazers
Redneck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #33
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
As far strength goes I think the conclusion is the HO72 is stronger than the 14 bolt. But the 14 bolt wins in the aftermarket support and availability, plus they are cheap. Also the 14 bolt doesn't really show it's weakness till you get on 42+ and high horsepower. As far as stronger axle or comparable, the Dana 70 is about equal, a Dana 80 would be the next step as far as axles in factory form.
I agree up until you say the dana 70 is about equel, it is in its ring but its the pinion that will give out before anything. The dana 80 we can't even put into the same slot as the 14 bolt or Eaton as it has a 11.25 ring and a massave 37 spline pinion.

No one here along with me is going to say a 70 is weak, they are not, but IMO the list of axles go 60, 70, 14 bolt, HO72, then onto the 80.

Your right about the 14 bolt being the most popular as they are every ware, easy to work on and realy have no factory weak links, except for the tubes spinning which is an easy fix with any good welder.

I say it all the time in the HO pirate thread, if the Eaton axle still had a strong after market support then the super 14's drop out sectoin would have modled after the Eaton since its all ready a drop out 3rd.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.