HO72 vs. 14 bolt. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > HO72 vs. 14 bolt.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

do you have a build thread for your front axle conversion? Are you going to be running it high pinion? Are the gears gonna be strong enough ran in the front?

9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

How's the HO52 in comparison to the 72? In my search for better axles I found d60/HO52 apparently for cheap. Says they from 67 truck like you mentioned.
will investigate gears that it has.
[/hijacks ]
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9703tj View Post
do you have a build thread for your front axle conversion? Are you going to be running it high pinion? Are the gears gonna be strong enough ran in the front?
The one I posted pics will be a rear axle and the pinion flipped since I'm going to run it in a rear engine buggy. I'm not sure if if I have a build thread on here or on Pirate, but really what you see in Pics is all I have as the others were on my old PC which crashed.

Strength, well thats why I chose this axle or the HO72 becasue its the only axle out there aside from the H9 that offers a load bolt for the ring gear. The gears can take alot of pressure and force to break and to date ive only seen one broken set.

The only issue I see is oiling for the front pinion, but I'm working on a oil scraper that will scrape up the oil off the ring and dump it into the pinion oil hole.

But none of what I'm doing will effect what or how others will run the axle as its intended as a low pinion. Again I'm building outside the box here, as I'm taking a LP and flipping it into a HP for a rear engine build. This way the counter clockwise rotaion is corrected buy the Diff gears.

The 52 VS the 72 well it boils down to the the load bolt, thats the only real difference between the two 3rds, so yes IMO the 72's are stronger but I dought you break a 52, even with 300HP.
I have Pics of bolth 3rds if you guys need any extra or just search the Pirate thread plenty of Pics there.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

sold! Ha, I tried looking, all I found was old Chevy forums archives nonsense.
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
sold! Ha, I tried looking, all I found was old Chevy forums archives nonsense.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...aton-h072.html

Check out the Pirate thread alot of good info, plus I just seen Blazerboy just posted a Pic of a housing he made.

Jason.

Unread 11-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Now look what you've done! Seems its not too nasty to lop off ends and use 60 outers....could make good use of (normally junk)dodge d60 with tha vac disco.
Okay you have helped me stray from the hybrid junk axle, and now got the wheels turning on something much better to blow money on..

The local parts guy can usually houdini parts for me since im never looking for something normal, or something so frankensmashed together that i cant remember what it origionally was, so im not too worried about the million dollar bearing.
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OP, you're in VA, if you have a trailer I may have something you'll jump on.

Sam Winer here in OH has Gov. Rebuild 14 bolt crate axles, all brand new everything, paint still on the gears. 4.56 gears, and a Detroit for $895

330-628-4881 is their number.
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
OP, you're in VA, if you have a trailer I may have something you'll jump on.

Sam Winer here in OH has Gov. Rebuild 14 bolt crate axles, all brand new everything, paint still on the gears. 4.56 gears, and a Detroit for $895

330-628-4881 is their number.
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a $150 junkyard 14 bolt, a set of gears, bearings and bushings, shaved, and disk braked for less than that. Unless I find a deal on an Eaton axle.
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Now look what you've done! Seems its not too nasty to lop off ends and use 60 outers....could make good use of (normally junk)dodge d60 with tha vac disco.
Okay you have helped me stray from the hybrid junk axle, and now got the wheels turning on something much better to blow money on..

The local parts guy can usually houdini parts for me since im never looking for something normal, or something so frankensmashed together that i cant remember what it origionally was, so im not too worried about the million dollar bearing.
Its a little more than just lopping of the 60 ends and welding them back on, but with a little know how and understanding of things need to be built its not hard to pull off.

First thing I would address is a line up bar, even a chunk of 1.5" 1/4 DOM can be used, Second thing is carrier bearing jurnal pucks need to be made. These allow the the line up to go threw and center the chuck to the outers.
Now for the outers for them to line up assemble the C so it slides over the the tube. This will require machine work to the ID of the C in order to slide it over.
Put KP knuckles on C, put C over the tube ( after machine works is done ), then slide spindle on. Once the spindle is on the 1.5" roller stub bearing or inner spindle bearing will aling the C's to the tube and they can be welded once the proer caster is set.

Now the big thing here what are you going to about inner axle seals. This is why I used factory dana 60 tubes removed from the a junk/cracked HP housing. Now I did goof up and made the long side to long but I will fix that and like I said I made so it can take all OEM length Chevy 60 axle's.

Spool, well you need to machine the 60 side gears to fit the inner junrnals of the Eaton carrier. Then cut some the teeth down so it can mesh/seat with the eaton spider gears. Once thats done then burn it all together.

If your were closer i have most of what you need to pull it off seeing how it might be a one time build for you. But nothing is better than building it yourself.

TroubleNEO not saying thats a bad deal but for the 900.00 dollar price tag you can find a set of axle's a 60/14 bolt with 4.56's gears and maybe if your real luckey a locker in the rear ( probally not ), but nothing a welder cant fix and for a trail rig nothing beats a spool, cheap traction.

Jason.

Unread 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I have access to most of the required tools to complete the job. A local xj club member/sponsor works at an axle shop here in the valley. Anything I can't get done solo I'm sure I could at least get done reasonably and have a hand in as well.
There is a local guy who claims to have a yard full of the military take out 60/14's with 4.56/Detroit sets, but he wants far too much per piece. For the asking price one could almost get a regular 30sp 60 and convert to 35sp with a locker/gears and some disks.
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #26
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just snagged an EATON HO72 yesterday. I would love to grab another one and make a steering EATON 6072 for my YJ.

Heres some pics

and of course the load bolt

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
jason m
your ad here...

Nice find, looks like it came from a 67ish style truck with coils spirings, you can tell from the angle u-boilts.
Whats the gear ratio, probally 4.57 as most of those 3/4 ton trucks where 4.57.
Does it have a No-spin?

Jason.

Unread 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #28
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Nice find, looks like it came from a 67ish style truck with coils spirings, you can tell from the angle u-boilts.
Whats the gear ratio, probally 4.57 as most of those 3/4 ton trucks where 4.57.
Does it have a No-spin?

Jason.
Its a 4.57 w/ open diff. Im gonna keep my eyes out for a 5.13 with Detroit.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dang Chris - that's a BIG behemoth.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Dang Chris - that's a BIG behemoth.
Pound for puond its smaller than that new boat anchor you just picked up

Jason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.