Giant Heim joints - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Giant Heim joints

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
cool i was just wondering. cant wait to see your progress
Thanks, I'm a slow builder or I should say this will be a slow built buggy. I still have the Jeep with rear steer so there is no rush and I want this buggy built right.
Plus every part will be hand fabbed, I don't buy any link tabs or really anything I can't build.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Looking forward to some progress. Those joints look to be completely overkill now knowing what they are for. Still, over doing is better than falling short even by a hair either way.

Another rear steer? And are you building tho ho72 steer axle for that? Thought you had put one together...
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post

Another rear steer? And are you building tho ho72 steer axle for that? Thought you had put one together...
Same one only I need to chop it down to use Chevy shafts not the later Fords as I want one spare set of shafts for front and rear axle's, Chevy 60 front and HO72 rear.

Thats the plan, but I'm looking at a Dana 80 next week with a detroit locker ( maybe ) and 5.13's for sure. If thats the case I will run the Dana 80 rear casue of the locker and run the HO with the custom spool up front.

Still waiting to get the money for the tool holder, I was slow this week so no progress on the Heims.

Jason.

Unread 12-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
jason m

Well with christmass around the corner I held off buying the tool holder I need to finish the heims but I'm making due with the old one for now.

So with that being said I got to work on the upper wish bone link ends. They are 2"x 1/4" wall DOM sleeves, that will hold some 1.5" 6061 Alu inserts. Then I will add a 1"x 1/8" wall tube sleeve inside them for a 3/4" bolt to slide threw.

Started with the DOM and the billet inserts. Cut them a smig over sized and trued them up on the lathe, they are dead nuts now.

Moved onto the boaring a 3/4" hole in all of them.

Then cut them down on the lathe to make the step for the insert. Now each insert is 1" long and the DOM sleeve is 1 3/4" long, so when done they will be a true 2".

This where I called it quits, I did get the 1" tube insert made, well I cut a chunk of SCH120 wall pipe down to match the slightly over size boar of the 1" hole. The drill I had walked about 5-8 Thou. so I could not use a DOM 1" sleeve.

So where will these parts be used, insteed of having a joint on the frame end I use these as they fit the 2x4 sub chassie that I have all ready made.

More to come.

Jason.

Unread 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Well with christmass around the corner I held off buying the tool holder I need to finish the heims but I'm making due with the old one for now.

So with that being said I got to work on the upper wish bone link ends. They are 2"x 1/4" wall DOM sleeves, that will hold some 1.5" 6061 Alu inserts. Then I will add a 1"x 1/8" wall tube sleeve inside them for a 3/4" bolt to slide threw.

Started with the DOM and the billet inserts. Cut them a smig over sized and trued them up on the lathe, they are dead nuts now.

Moved onto the boaring a 3/4" hole in all of them.

Then cut them down on the lathe to make the step for the insert. Now each insert is 1" long and the DOM sleeve is 1 3/4" long, so when done they will be a true 2".

This where I called it quits, I did get the 1" tube insert made, well I cut a chunk of SCH120 wall pipe down to match the slightly over size boar of the 1" hole. The drill I had walked about 5-8 Thou. so I could not use a DOM 1" sleeve.

So where will these parts be used, insteed of having a joint on the frame end I use these as they fit the 2x4 sub chassie that I have all ready made.

More to come.

Jason.
When it comes time to add the threaded section to the barrels, consider using a Grade 8 bolt with a hex head. Find the size and length you need and turn the hex down until it is round and maybe a bit less. Chuck it up and mill out the top of the head so it has the same radius as the OD of the barrel.

That will give you a lot of strength, lots of weld surface area, and pretty easy to accomplish, plus bolts in that grade are pretty damn good material.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #21
jason m

Thanks Blaine, I had thought of that but I might do those parts I made into weld on bushings as now I'm thinking about a wishbone upper. Well I would use 4 as weld on's and the other 4 weld the threaded rod/bolt onto them.

I like your idea of turning the tops of the bolts to match the OD of the tube and if I use grade 8 bolts the heat would temper some of the hardness out, but should be still stronger than normall rod stock.

With life everything got put on hold and with -0 temps outside i'm not in the gargae as much, only to work on the Eqp for snow. so for now these parts are sitting on the bench.

Once I get these done I got a free water dammaged 6.0, so I will tear that apart and figure out whats what with that.

Jason.

Unread 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

How you guys find deals! I could go for a water damaged ls engine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.