GenIV 4.8 swap into a YJ ??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > GenIV 4.8 swap into a YJ ???

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
jrostocki

I am doing the same swap right now but I am probally a few weeks ahead of you. Here are some of the things I found:
Wiring Harness- If you spend enough time with google you can figure out how to make your harness from the stock harness. I ended up buying a new one fron a guy on ebay, but there is another guy on ebay that will rewire your existing one for $225. There are also some guys selling fuseblocks and relay kits for around $100
Computer- needs to be reflashed to turn off rear o2 sensors and get rid of the VATS
Gauges- tap the boss on the rear pass side for stock temp sending unit and tap the removable plate above the oil filter for the oil sending unit
Fuel- warbalo pump with corvette returnless filter
Exhaust- corvette manifolds

The rest you will find on google and ls1 tech

jrostocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have decided not to finish the thread due to a great may problems with the parts suppliers. I have very little to say that is god. Moma said if you nothing good to say, say nothing at all...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
southerntidefan

Damn that's a bummer. I'm doing same swap and was hoping to learn from your thread. I'm getting an nv4500 which has to have adapters too I think. Even though its a gm tranny.
southerntidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, southerntidesfan. Feel free to message me and I'll honestly answer any questions you have. As for this thread, I did the math based on my notes and I spent 4 months and a week waiting for parts from suppliers that said parts could be delivered sooner. . Several times I had to send parts back because they were built wrong. And in the case of one adaptor manufacturer I actually gave up on them and fixed their crappy parts buy cutting them apart and welding them back together correctly... Sad to say the least. I have however learned a great deal about doing swaps like this, so I am more than happy to share what I have learned.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
southerntidefan

I would post to keep new people doing the same swap from buying the same parts. As for me I'm a tighttwad by nature so they won't get a dime of my money. I can build any motor mount they can build and I'll just swap a GM transmission in. Still needs mods but nothing from an adapter place. Word of mouth goes a long way and if you speak loud enough they will fix it. Or go out of business. As far as forum rules or pissing on someone on this forum....the technical folks on here don't say much. And I would much rather get flamed with assistance on another forum than no response.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone that reads all the way through this thread will know what adapter company I used.

I paid $1800 for the kit that included a flywheel, starter, motor mounts, clutch and accessories, and headers.

I chose to use this kit because I was interested in getting this project done relativity quickly and was able to spend the money to save the time.

I chose to use this company because word of mouth was very positive about this companies products.

First let me discuss what I found that I really liked about this kit:

1) The front bearing retainer on the transmission has to be replaced to use the Chevy clutch components that ship with this kit. This part was cast and machined to finish. I found this part to fit extremely well and was of impressive quality.
2) The 3rd party products that shipped with this kit were of the highest quality and were a joy to install.
3) The list of included parts in this kit is very complete. This is the part that for me was the final Selling point.

Here are the problems I found with the parts:

1) The motor mounts were welded together crooked. I called the company and they told me that there was not a left and a right, yet they were indeed welded together as though they were made to impart an angle on the motor when installed.
I had to cut the motor mounts apart and weld them back together again so that they were square in order to use them.
2) The Driver side header was welded together wrong. The front tube on the header was laid forward and came into contact with the motor mount on that side of the vehicle. I tried both motor mounts as they came to me and after I fixed them. I contacted the manufacturer and sent them pics at their request. They replied to me that the headers were not manufactured correctly and to sned them back for a new set. I would have to wait 6 weeks for them to manufacture the new ones though…
I sent the headers back on my dime and purchased a set of headers from another company.
3) The Clutch slave cylinder and its spacer was not engineered correctly to clear the expensive starter's billet mount plate.
The mount plate on the starter had to be relieved in order for the two to bolt on the bell housing correctly. This in and of its self is not a big deal, except that in the future, a starter replacement is not a bolt on affair. Discouraging at best...
4) The bell housing cover that shipped with the kit was so far away from the actual shape needed to correctly cover and seal the bell housing that it could not be reshaped.
I had to go buy sheet metal and cut out my own bell housing cover.
5) The casting of the bell housing was poor. It had been welded up in several spots to fix casting flaws and holes in the aluminum.
Some would say that is a cosmetic issue. My concern is. "What flaw was not seen and how is that flaw going to weaken my bell housing? Maybe no flaw at all, and then again...
Kind of leaves a person worried...

Now on the surface none of this stuff is that big of a deal because the adapter company in question will make any and all its parts that THEY find to be defective good by sending you new ones. The problem is that you have to send their defective parts back to them on your dime. They refuse to pay for a return way bill, even after admitting to me in writing via email that it was their parts were indeed incorrectly assembled. Further more you are subject to waiting for your new parts to be manufactured before they are sent to you. They do not keep parts in stock nor will they expedite the manufacture of replacement parts. In the cases of the headers, I was going to have to send them back on my dime and wait 6 weeks for a replacement!

Really???

Poor customer service at best... IMO!

Here are some other issues that I was not happy about:

1) The flywheel was over $450. I was told that it was and externally balanced flywheel and that was the reason for the extreme price.
That was BS, it is just a flat flywheel machined out of probably 1 inch flat plate and a ring gear pressed on to it. Truth be known, a factory GM Flywheel is priced at the same price as the one I purchased. Being as factory parts are priced at a gougingly high price, finding this one at the same price was very discouraging...
2) There was little to no advice with the motor mounts and where to attach them to the frame. They are generic parts and in order to correctly install them you actually have to call and ask questions about how they are to be installed for this application. A competing company gives you a detailed instruction set telling you exactly what to do and where to attach the mounts to the frame.
The bottom line in my opinion:
Given the total cost of this kit, the problems, and the apparent lack of actual complete engineering this "KIT" is not worth the money. If you are even mildly competent at fabrication and time is not and issue, you are far better off to build the parts your self.
The final outcome:
I had to cut the motor mounts apart and weld them back together again so that they were square in order to use them.
I sent the headers back to the adapter company and ate the shipping costs. I then went to JEGS and purchased a set of Hooker Pro Comp block hugger headers. They were $100 more expensive, but, they fit right, were heat coated and not just chromed, they had finished collectors with the bolt flange attached(there was no bolt flange on the headers I sent back.) and JEGS guaranteed they would fit or they would give my money back and pay for the return shipping! That my friends is customer service!
The mount plate on the starter had to be relieved in order for the two to bolt on the bell housing correctly. This in and of its self is not a big deal, except that in the future, a starter replacement is not a bolt on affair. Discouraging at best...
I had to go buy sheet metal and cut out my own bell housing cover.
I am using the Bell housing as it was shipped to me and hoping for the best… )=

I want to go on record here again:

It has taken me several months to get to the point that I am willing to discuss this kit and this manufacturer on this forum.
I am not in the habit of slamming manufacturers that actively support the off road community.
The facts are:
I spent a ridiculous amount of money for a conversion kit that at best was more of a head ache then it would have been to just buy the basics and build my own.
I am and have been very upset with my entire interaction with the manufacturer of this kit, and I was taught that if you have nothing good to say, wait until you do , or don't say it at all.

If I had it to do all over again...

...I would first investigate the other manufacturer for adapters for these kinds of conversions, and I would spend a lot more time doing research and find solutions to some of the parts by using factory parts. Motor mounts are a good example.
One last final note:
A swap like this one is an incredible amount of work. If you have a full time job and are not able to work on your project every day, then expect for the work to take about twice as long as you expect. And, do not believe any custom parts company that says “We can get your parts to you in a week!”

It’s total BS…

Last edited by Ratmeat; 02-24-2013 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Edited for correct use of the English language and spelling
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
southerntidefan

Lol. You needed that.
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
southerntidefan

I will or have built every piece for mine. Time is no issue. Nightshift helps a lot. I built aluminum fuel tank last night complete with baffles and sump. Have to weld on some tabs and fab a carrier for a stock gm fuel pump tonight. I actually work a swing shift and prefer nights any day over days.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.