GenIV 4.8 swap into a YJ ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > GenIV 4.8 swap into a YJ ???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Yj GenIV 4.8 swap into a YJ ???

Hi all, I have a YJ that had a Clifford performance 6 = 8 stroker motor. After over 100k extremely hard off and on road miles the motor went bye bye. A rebuild is not feasible due to the damage done to the cylinders.

I am considering a doing a Gen IV 4.8 swap.

Has anyone done a gen 4 swap and if so, do you have any advice?

Also if there are any Goodwrench mechanics that have any info they want to share, that would be good too.

Because there are as many opinions on jeep forum as there are waste disposal units, please don't hijack my thread with your opinions,

Thank you and

__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Moogs3840
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Madison, Ct
Posts: 14
Hi, are you looking to swap in a 4.8 with an RPO LR4 like in a 04 GM truck? What were you looking to do for fuel delivery (carb or FI)? I think the aftermarket makes PCMs strictly for fuel control and emissions. Also, what are you gonna do for the rest of the driveline? If your going with automatics like 4Lxx series or NV xxxx manuals, you can find a junkyard wreck and take the whole system. Engine and tranny mounts I have no idea, maybe advance adapters has a kit. And instrumentation will be tough. I am a GM tech, but never did or seen a transplant like that.
Moogs3840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Hello, No, I have an 89 YJ and I have purchased a LY2 4.8 from an 07 Silverado. The 4.8 has 38k on it and is in damn near new shape. I brought it home Yesterday and have almost every thing I need. I am missing the wire harness for the gas petal and maybe a couple of other parts. The motor had an auto trans on it and I am going to use and Advanced Adapters kit to get it all mounted up to my ax15 including a fly wheel. I want to use the factory Chevy fuel delivery and ignition. The older YJ has a mechanical speedo, but tach connections are a question. Also not sure if Oil pres and water temp are going to be issues(Different voltages???).

My wrangler has no emission controls and in my state does not need them as it is over 20 years old and it is registered outside of a Inspection and Maintenance district(I live in Oregon). The old 4.2 had a holley 4bbl and and MSD ignition

I need as much info as I can as to what I can strip from harnesses to take it to bare minimum wiz bangs and yet still be a runner. The real issues are the knowledge of the newer technology of the electronics.

My 72 year old father who lives with me was a mechanic all his life and owned his own shop untill 2004 when he retired. I have 2 associates degrees in electronics(transfer in engineering and transfer computer electronics) and, am a total gearhead. I do all my own welding and all my own repair and builds. from motors to diffs, This being said, there is plenty of mechanical ability just not enough knowledge of the new systems to know what has to stay and what does not. We understand knock sensors, O2s. MAF, MAP, and TPS. and temp sensors. Where we are a bit concerned the lack of a transmission for the transmission controls in the ECU. The harnesses that came with the motor has way more plugs then things to plug into so I know some of that can be stripped out.

Little things like where to pick up a good book and what book to get for guidance on the wire color codes and the like would be huge, as well as someone to bounce questions off of. Also if you know of any gotcha's and pit falls. I am also wondering about fly by cable rather then buy wire for the throttle. I am going to be writing up the entire swap and posting it with pics

I think that about explains what I am attempting to do so if you can offer any help that would be huge. Let me know if you are willing to give advice and pointers.

Thanks for your time and your interest

Here are a couple of pics of the motor

Gary
img_20120626_185514.jpg   img_20120626_185550.jpg   img_20120626_185541.jpg   img_20120626_185345.jpg   heep.jpg  

__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Just s few more for fun
img_20120502_182540.jpg   1306176867319.jpg   img_20120509_163957.jpg   398789_112749908864935_1923818489_n.jpg  
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Moogs3840
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Madison, Ct
Posts: 14
Very nice pics. There is a auto service program called Alldata, you've probably heard of it. You can buy copies of it for single vehicles. Also GM uses a program called Service Information and has every part of the vehicle broken down. Even though I am a GM tech my father bought a snapshot copy of the program off ebay for his GM car and it is identical to the online version I have at work. That may help you out. Ill let you know if I think of anything else to help. Good luck, seems like a lot of fun.
Moogs3840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
I have access to Alldata FYI for my jeep, but it seems to me that its a very limited subset of information. More like the Hayns manuals. It only covers what Alldata deams to be "doable" fot the "DIY" person. I will sign up for that vehicle and see what it has. I'll also check EBay. I will keep this thread going as I make progress on this swap
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
RangerRick
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lomita CA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmeat
Hello, No, I have an 89 YJ and I have purchased a LY2 4.8 from an 07 Silverado. The 4.8 has 38k on it and is in damn near new shape. I brought it home Yesterday and have almost every thing I need. I am missing the wire harness for the gas petal and maybe a couple of other parts. The motor had an auto trans on it and I am going to use and Advanced Adapters kit to get it all mounted up to my ax15 including a fly wheel. I want to use the factory Chevy fuel delivery and ignition. The older YJ has a mechanical speedo, but tach connections are a question. Also not sure if Oil pres and water temp are going to be issues(Different voltages???).

My wrangler has no emission controls and in my state does not need them as it is over 20 years old and it is registered outside of a Inspection and Maintenance district(I live in Oregon). The old 4.2 had a holley 4bbl and and MSD ignition

I need as much info as I can as to what I can strip from harnesses to take it to bare minimum wiz bangs and yet still be a runner. The real issues are the knowledge of the newer technology of the electronics.

My 72 year old father who lives with me was a mechanic all his life and owned his own shop untill 2004 when he retired. I have 2 associates degrees in electronics(transfer in engineering and transfer computer electronics) and, am a total gearhead. I do all my own welding and all my own repair and builds. from motors to diffs, This being said, there is plenty of mechanical ability just not enough knowledge of the new systems to know what has to stay and what does not. We understand knock sensors, O2s. MAF, MAP, and TPS. and temp sensors. Where we are a bit concerned the lack of a transmission for the transmission controls in the ECU. The harnesses that came with the motor has way more plugs then things to plug into so I know some of that can be stripped out.

Little things like where to pick up a good book and what book to get for guidance on the wire color codes and the like would be huge, as well as someone to bounce questions off of. Also if you know of any gotcha's and pit falls. I am also wondering about fly by cable rather then buy wire for the throttle. I am going to be writing up the entire swap and posting it with pics

I think that about explains what I am attempting to do so if you can offer any help that would be huge. Let me know if you are willing to give advice and pointers.

Thanks for your time and your interest

Here are a couple of pics of the motor

Gary
You should go on Pirate4x4 and read the section on swapping a Gen III/IV GM engine into a Jeep under hardcore. There's a Guy in Washington state who did my harness and ECM programming. Its not hard work but requires a little thought. I've installed an RPO LM7 in my CJ-7 with the matching 4L60E 4x4 transmission and Advance Adapters kit to mate the D300 transfer case to it. Where I live, (The People's Republik of Kalifornia) my CJ had to have all smog equipment for the newest part. This case the engine, so I have everything in there. The AA kit comes with a really nice vehicle speed sensor so the computer and emissions works properly. I used tees to add the needed Jeep gauge sensors for oil, temp and a converter to drive the tachometer in the dash. You can still use the VVT & DOD (displacement on demand). I converted to a cable throttle body so I wouldn't have to adapt an electronic throttle pedal into the Jeep and to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) motto...... drive by wire requires a special harness and pedal I didn't want so I have a pre-2003 cable throttle body on my 5.3L engine.
Everything you ever wanted to know about GM GEN III/IV is in that pirate post.

Rick
__________________
RangerRick

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison.
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Rick, that is some major info for me, Thank you. I will check out that thread on Pirate.

Thanks man!!!!!
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
RangerRick
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lomita CA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmeat View Post
Rick, that is some major info for me, Thank you. I will check out that thread on Pirate.

Thanks man!!!!!
Ya another forum member told me about it so I checked it out. Ended up getting my computer and harness done by the guys on there and as his credentials, last years KOH ( King of the Hammers), he had 12 competition buggies running his program in their Gen III/IV/V GM powered rigs. I am half way through another swap right now on another CJ-7 and have already gotten my 2nd harness back from the guys. I had them program 2 computers this time for me, one asa spare in case one dies in the middle of nowhere. I am thoroughly impressed with the GM Gen 3 & up engines, I wouldn't swap anything else cause.these things are built to go 450k miles before their first overhaul and are dirt cheap on the salvage market.
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Advanced adapters kit showed up


More to come

=)
img_20120726_185110.jpg  
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
RangerRick
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lomita CA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmeat
Advanced adapters kit showed up

More to come

=)
Sweet!
The AX-15 is a good manual transmission and should hold up to the 4.8 if you don't flog it hard all the time. That said, keep the oil changed and no abusive burn outs it should last good for you. I'm part way through my next swap on the CJ-7 and am working on the motor mounts now. I am adapting the M.O.R.E. bomb-proof bolt in Gen I GM engine mounts from the vacated 5.7L 2nd Gen Chevy engine to fit the Gen III/IV engine and building a new crossmember for the AA transfer case adapter to fit my skid plate.
For your fuel delivery, if you have a YJ tank that is poly plastic with the large rectangular hole, simply swap the pumps out and you're in business.
Did you have time to read the thread over on Pirate about the swaps? Guaranteed someone has done it before and posted it.

You're gonna think you bought a brand new Jeep when you're done with the swap as the driveability and fuel economy will have jumped so high you think its a new ride!

Rick
__________________
RangerRick

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison.
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Just now getting back to this thread

I'm a sallaried employee so sometimes getting a break to type things up is a pain. I have takin severl pics along the way and have some interesting information to post here, including a review of the parts that I received from Advnced Adapters. Unfortunaly its not going to be positive. I wont say any more until I post all pics...

Rick, I will be looking the thread over forum over on Pirate in the next few days

Gary
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
RangerRick
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lomita CA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmeat View Post
Just now getting back to this thread

I'm a sallaried employee so sometimes getting a break to type things up is a pain. I have takin severl pics along the way and have some interesting information to post here, including a review of the parts that I received from Advnced Adapters. Unfortunaly its not going to be positive. I wont say any more until I post all pics...

Rick, I will be looking the thread over forum over on Pirate in the next few days

Gary
Gary,
Before trashing a vendor, talk it over with them about what went wrong first is my recommendation because the folks at AA are very nice and will work with you. Ask me how I know this and NO, I am not a spokeshole for them and there's no vested interest businesswise or other wise in them.
I gotta tell you my first choice would not have been to run the Asin AX-15 transmission behind an LSx series engine of any kind. I wanted to run a manual in the CJ-7 but found it was more trouble than it was worth so converted to the 4L60/4L65 series Hydramatic transmissions in both conversions I've done. The adapter to run a NP/NV D-300/231J/241OR series transfer cases worked nicely.
I don't know what your problems were but if they were transmission related, it might be easier to swap an automatic in instead. I am working on another swap in another CJ-7 now and should post some pics.
Definitely Gary, check out the very long post over on Pirate. Everything you have questions on has been figured out or discussed over there.

Rick
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Not gona trash anyone man, Just gona post pics of the problems with the parts that I have encountered and let them speak for them selves.
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Ratmeat
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 293
Oh, and I have spoken with AA Tech support. For the money I spent, its a bummer...
__________________
Doing my own thing, and being an individual since 1967!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.