Gauge Replacement 97 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Gauge Replacement 97 TJ

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
DaveLotek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gauge Replacement 97 TJ

My gauges are acting up and I'm thinking about switching to after market ones. I am wondering if a cable driven CJ style mechanical Speedometer would work with the TJ's NV231 transfer case. Can you unscrew the electronic sensor and screw in a speedo cable instead? Any thoughts are appreciated. 97 TJ 2.5, 5 Spd. Manual

DaveLotek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

computer needs the vehicle speed information sent by the electronic speedo.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd leave the t-case end and electronic setup as is. If you want an aftermarket gauges (I went with Autometer), contact the gauge MFG to see if they can handle the CAN BUS feed from the existing setup, or contact DakotaDigital.com to see if they have an adapter module to convert the CAN BUS feed to a proper gauge signal for the chosen gauge.
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

autometer does have an adapter to use to tap into a chrysler electronic speed signal.

a cable driven speedo would drop right in where the electronic vss is currently at. they were manufactured with the same standards across the industry for decades.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe contact these guys....

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/freedom-gauges/36:5
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
DaveLotek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gauge Replacement 97 TJ

Thanks for the comments. Any more thoughts are appreciated too.
DaveLotek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.