full width axles on a JK with working ABS/ESP -- who makes them? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > full width axles on a JK with working ABS/ESP -- who makes them?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

full width axles on a JK with working ABS/ESP -- who makes them?

Hi guys,

Looking to get some full width Dana 60 axles that will bolt into a JK that are FULL WIDTH. Reason being I want to be able to effectively mount coil overs in the rear outside of the frame when I do an 8" rear stretch.

My concern is this Jeep is still going to need to be driven on a day to day basis. Not every day, but I refuse to sacrifice the ability to drive it daily. As such I am looking for full width axles that I can purchase (don't need full floater) that have ARB air lockers, 5.38's, and work with ABS/ESP.

Thoughts? Otherwise I'm going to be stuck with a good coil spring/shock setup in the rear -- which, while fine -- I prefer coil overs so I can adjust/rebuild them.

Have some G2 D60's about to be ordered but I'm waiting until I get the answer on this. Looks like Currie might make some stuff. What's considered full width (enough to the point where I can mount coil overs on the outside of the frame) ?

guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
joe_and_jeep

You need ABS and ESP to drive daily? AAM axles out of a Dodge might work, the Chevy guys use them for SAS in newer trucks because of the ABS.
joe_and_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you want bolt-in dynatrac, currie, etc are what youll be looking at. might still need to notch the rear frame to outboard your rear shocks. you have to make sure there is room for the tire when flexing not just up and down but when one is up and the other down. this causes the top of the tire to pinch in.

why the axles? thought jk guys were happy with 40s on stock hardware?
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
if you want bolt-in dynatrac, currie, etc are what youll be looking at. might still need to notch the rear frame to outboard your rear shocks. you have to make sure there is room for the tire when flexing not just up and down but when one is up and the other down. this causes the top of the tire to pinch in.

why the axles? thought jk guys were happy with 40s on stock hardware?
The guy that installed my gears totally ****ed my rear axle, so decided rather than buying another D44 just do it once and do it right But yeah, I'm still running a D44 front and it's fine. Just have it trussed, sleeved, gusseted, etc.

And yeah, we will have to notch the frame a bit even with the 69" wide axle (provides us with about 62 1/8th of housing width). Running King 2.5 14" coil overs front and rear, and bypasses through the tub.

Edit: Looks like planman finally borked his axles on 40's. So perhaps the opinion of 40's on 44's will change. I have the cash to buy new axles... lots of people don't. So I was willing to risk it.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
The guy that installed my gears totally ****ed my rear axle, so decided rather than buying another D44 just do it once and do it right But yeah, I'm still running a D44 front and it's fine. Just have it trussed, sleeved, gusseted, etc.

And yeah, we will have to notch the frame a bit even with the 69" wide axle (provides us with about 62 1/8th of housing width). Running King 2.5 14" coil overs front and rear, and bypasses through the tub.

Edit: Looks like planman finally borked his axles on 40's. So perhaps the opinion of 40's on 44's will change. I have the cash to buy new axles... lots of people don't. So I was willing to risk it.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...6.aspx?id=3458 + http://www.truehi9.com/index.html =

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
jason m

Question, with the ABS how does the single get piclked up on the JK's. I ask because alot of the newer FF rears like the 10.5 steerling and the AAM's have a tone ring and I think that's how the trucks pick up the single.

I saw one dana 60U out of a late model Ford van with a tone ring on it to and even a few 70's from time to time with them.

Fronts that might be tricky, unless you find a newer Ford 60 and then I'm not even sure they have the wiring on them.

Hmm, thats a tuff question, my normall responce is just throw a 60/14bolt at it but you can't....................

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I had my JK, I thought about getting the axles out of a Power Wagon.. They are full width and the ABS/Speed sensors look to be compatible with the JK.. Keep in mind that a JK has to have ABS/Speed sensors at each wheel or the computer will throw a CEL and maybe even an ABS light..
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

JK uses a tone-ring at the end of each shaft and a sensor through each caliper bracket.
I got the tone-rings from Currie > http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...6.aspx?id=3440
With a little machining and finesse they could be added to most disc brake axles.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why am I the only one that sees a problem with asking for a bolt on solution in advanced tech? What the ****.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Why am I the only one that sees a problem with asking for a bolt on solution in advanced tech? What the ****.
First thing I noticed.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.