full width axle swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > full width axle swap

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here is what is going on in the rear. when i tore the 3rd member apart this is what i found.
so, i had to order one of these got an install kit and have the 3rd member almost together. just waiting on the new yoke to come( is in one of the packages in shipping.)
1. old carrier, one spider broke, the other is cracked the whole way around, the case was destroyed because of this failure.
2. shiny new replacement
3. 3rd member almost together with new install kit
!!!! anyone interested in buying a 9 inch 28 spline Detroit locker!!!!

side-gears.jpg

detroit-locker.jpg

3rd-member-9-.jpg

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

other parts came in today. i got the weld in inserts for the tie rod and draglink. also got my stuff from summit. installed the new wheel bearings and seals on the shafts. tomorrow night i should finish up the third member.
1. all 4 re 1445 springs. 1.5 inch soa springs
2. new yoke for pinion.
soa-springs-all.jpg

9-inch-yoke.jpg

Unread 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

got some more done tonight. finished up the 3rd member and cleaned the axle up some. the plasma cutter is really nice and quick, just have to be careful and pay attention to what ur doing. i got a little too deep on the one cut. i will just lay a weld in there then grind it flat.
1. 3rd member complete
2. i think i got a pretty good gear pattern. good as its gonna get.
3. axle housing bare
4. nick from the plasma cutter
3rd-member-complete.jpg

gear-patern.jpg

rear-axle-no-perches.jpg

nick-axle-tube.jpg

Unread 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

tonight i got the welder out and filled in the few spots on the tubes and ground them down. you cant even tell where the spots were at. cleaned some of the stuff up and started putting it together. now it gets to sit in the corner for awhile lol. still have a long ways to go before its ready to go in.
9-inch-together.jpg

Unread 12-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i got another box today. my shinny Reid racing knuckle! this thing is soo beefy! compared to the stock 5 lug knuckle, this thing has to be twice as heavy.
reid-knuckle.jpg

Unread 12-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
DefconCJ
1978 CJ7 

Nice! I'm really interested in how your soa will turn out
DefconCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #22
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not too much more of an update. Got new calipers for the front and brake drums for the rear. I will be tearing the rear apart again tho, I got a set of Yukon axle shafts for it. To bad this isn't a trail rig, I have all stuff for free, dana 44 and 9 inch 5.13 gears and full spools :/ we are upgrading our mudtruck to 2 1/2 ton Rockwells !!
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get only one Reid knuckle? Are you worried about it transferring force via the tie rod to the other knuckle and snapping it? Just curious.
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Did you get only one Reid knuckle? Are you worried about it transferring force via the tie rod to the other knuckle and snapping it? Just curious.
What kind of "force" are you talking about? Your question makes absolutely no sense. Yeah, the driver side knuckle will be weaker, but having a stronger knuckle on the other side isn't gonna make it explode for no reason.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #25
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why would I be asking a question about stuff that could occur for no reason? I am not. Did you think about where a strong point transfers stress to a weak point. Stress will manifest itself somewhere. It does not just go away since you have one cool knuckle. By strengthening one knuckle, what have you asked the the other to do? It is attached to the same tie rod right?

If the opposing knuckle is being pushed on with a cross over set up, the direct link between the knuckles is the tie rod. If one knuckle is stronger than the other, something has to give. It could be TRE's, the tie rod, or a knuckle.

All I was asking is if he had thought about it.
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Why would I be asking a question about stuff that could occur for no reason? I am not. Did you think about where a strong point transfers stress to a weak point. Stress will manifest itself somewhere. It does not just go away since you have one cool knuckle. By strengthening one knuckle, what have you asked the the other to do? It is attached to the same tie rod right?

If the opposing knuckle is being pushed on with a cross over set up, the direct link between the knuckles is the tie rod. If one knuckle is stronger than the other, something has to give. It could be TRE's, the tie rod, or a knuckle.

All I was asking is if he had thought about it.
You still haven't quantified anything. Making one knuckle stronger still doesn't weaken the other like you are implying. Even if it does transfer a weak point, a broken knuckle on the driver side is just as bad as a broken knuckle on the passenger side. The isn't a plethora of broken stock knuckles out there anyway, and plenty of people have run just one Reid knuckle.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #27
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im a little confused about this also. Yes I'm only running a passenger side reid knuckle to get cross over steering. But just because the passenger side knuckle is stronger doesn't mean it weakens the driver side factory knuckle. What is the difference between the setup I'm going with or if I would have kept both factory knuckles and bent the draglink? Both knuckles are tied together the same way and are driven by the same source. I understand that yes since the passenger side is stronger it (moves) the weak point more to the passenger side knuckle but I highly doubt I will have a problem with it. I know from personal experience the ball joints are the real weak point with the knuckle. We ran 42's on the 44 front. Never had a problem snapping a knuckle. We did however lose a wheel when a u joint broke it forced the lower balljoint out off the socket and pulled the top joint out of the knuckle. Still after that the knuckle is fine, not broken.
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjtyler View Post
Im a little confused about this also. Yes I'm only running a passenger side reid knuckle to get cross over steering. But just because the passenger side knuckle is stronger doesn't mean it weakens the driver side factory knuckle. What is the difference between the setup I'm going with or if I would have kept both factory knuckles and bent the draglink? Both knuckles are tied together the same way and are driven by the same source. I understand that yes since the passenger side is stronger it (moves) the weak point more to the passenger side knuckle but I highly doubt I will have a problem with it. I know from personal experience the ball joints are the real weak point with the knuckle. We ran 42's on the 44 front. Never had a problem snapping a knuckle. We did however lose a wheel when a u joint broke it forced the lower balljoint out off the socket and pulled the top joint out of the knuckle. Still after that the knuckle is fine, not broken.

That is all I was asking! I was not asserting that the factory knuckle WILL break.
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

One thing that I did notice and have never heard anything about on the internet, there is a difference in height of the arm between the 8 lug knuckle vs the 5 lug knuckle. The arm on my drivers side factory knuckle is gonna be lower than my pass side knuckle. I don't know if anyone else ever knew that or not.
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im in the slow stage of this swap, waiting to get my donor axle out from under the truck. we did get the rockwells for the one truck, waiting on the other set tho. these things are heavy! just updating to everyone that the swap is still in progress, just slow.
axles.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.