full width axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > full width axle swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj full width axle swap

its time for the next upgrade! i am in the process of buying parts and building the axles for the swap. the axles im building are a 79 f250 dana 44 with 5 lug outers and a 79 9 inch. i am at a bit of a block when it comes to the steering. my plan is to buy a reid knuckle for the passenger side but im not sure what arm to run?? i have never dealt with high steer before, one concern i have is do i need an offset arm? i plan on running 15 inch steel wheels with 3.75 bs. also what is a good arm to run? thanks in advance!

Unread 11-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I used stock flat top knuckles off a chevy/dodge, and made some arms from 1x2 solid stock. Way cheaper than aftermarket knuckles. I ran factory steering linkage shortened a little until I bought enough heims and Dom to redo all the steering. Knuckles cost me 50/pr and the steel was like $16 for some scrap pieces which I cut to length and drilled for the studs.
ltrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The reason I was planning on buying a reid knuckle is the axle I'm using was just rebuild last year, all of the components are basically new. With the Chevy knuckle u have to use Chevy brakes right? I could probably get my local machine shop ( Mennonite) to make me an arm. They are very reasonably priced on stuff and have a pretty nice shop. Could u post up a pic of ur arm?
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I could, I have since gone 1 ton stuff. I'll be helping a buddy who has the old axles tomorrow. I have the diagram for the measurement saved on my computer. Or you can google Dana 44 high steer images and find it there. Didn't have the knuckles machined or anything just light grinding of the top to clean it up.
ltrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC Sky Off Road and Design has the high steer arm and can machine the current knuckle to accept it. Ruff Stuff has GM tapers so you can drill out any part and locate TRE's where you need them.
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing the same swap soon. I'm using a Reid knuckle on the passenger side so I can keep the Ford style outers as well. With 3.75" backspacing you should be fine with any high steer arm. I'll be running 5" backspaced rims, so I'm using a Crane offset high steer arm:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-19465.html
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

The part of the reason I made them was that I could make them fit with stock wheels. 15x7 with probably a 5" bs. Worked well, maybe I can round up some old build pics.
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also another factor to the Reid knuckle is that 5 lug Ford knuckles "can not" be milled and tapped for high steer. Going cross over I know is the right thing to do, it's just a lot of extra cost ontop of building axles and getting everything ready for the swap. I have been going back and forth between cross over and a bent drag link. Im pretty well set on cross over now tho. I was looking at the ballistic fab arm. But before I went any father wanted to make sure 1 ton stuff would clear the wheels.
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen the ford ones tapped and ground flat. They work, but just don't have the same shape and structure as gm flats. I'm sure the 1/2" cast is fine enough for milder build, but Chevy one is already cast for beef. I'm honestly just cheap as crap. I like effectiveness, effective doesn't have to mean expensive in this scenario.
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure it would be fine for what i am doing, and i hear ya on the cheap and effective thing!! the steering knuckle is one thing tho that i dont really want to skimp on. the plan is, i have a nice shopping cart list for both summit racing and ruff stuff. i plan on either black friday or cyber monday buying the stuff. im hoping they have some for specials running to save a few bucks (back to the cheap as crap thing hahaha) ive changed some of my stuff around and am not buying anything from ballistic now( not that i have anything against them) just i can get everything from ruff stuff and will not have to pay for ballistics outrageous shipping and handling charges. i also know from searching that people talk very highly about dan at ruff stuff.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ruff Stuff is a first class operation. I bought a lot of stuff from them during my build. You can't go wrong with them!
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just put my order in for ruff stuff! the high steer arm and stud kit are ordered. also got their 9 inch install kit. i used the discount code DEARWIFE this gave me free shipping plus an additional $4 off my order.
Unread 11-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got my order put in to summit racing as well. The ups man is gonna be busy bringing stuff to my house next week
Unread 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Brown Santa comes year round. We don't wait all year like the kids.
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Santa has brought me some early Christmas presents i still have 3 packages in shipping but here is the stuff that i have gotten. ruff stuff is beefy!!
1. order from ruff stuff. axle swap kit, high steer arm, stud kit.
2. high steer arm top
3. high steer arm bottom( to me they could have moved the hole a little bit to center it better.)
4. two out of the four springs( other 2 in shipping) re 1.5 soa springs. ( they have a lot more arch than i thought they would!)
ruff-stuff-stuff.jpg

high-steer-arm-top.jpg

high-steer-arm-bottom.jpg

re-soa-springs.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.