fuel injection or new motor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > fuel injection or new motor?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

fuel injection or new motor?

right now I have a 78 style gm 5.7l (actually a 99 crate motor with close to 40k miles) with a mild cam and im tired of the carb flooding on trails. I looked into EFI and it would be around 2k for what I want.. Then I started thinking about just getting a 6.0 or a 5.3, all I would need is the motor, wiring harness, flex plate, and a few other odds and ends, I plan on keeping my TH400.

What do you guys think? Would you just put fuel injection on the 5.7? or go the 6.0/5.3 route?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 6.0's can make stupid amounts of power. Go for the lightweight and stock-built 5.3 and be happy.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

is the 5.3 really that much lighter?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

An aluminum 5.3 clocks in at about 425 lbs. That's a $1500+ package, but you can get an iron-blocked 5.3 for less. Here's some info for you.

Unread 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was under the impression that the 5.3 and the 6.0 used the same block but the 6.0 just had a bigger bore. Is this false?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

awesome thanks for the info! but that doesnt list the engine weights...

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

To my knowledge, the 6.0's in consideration are iron blocks with a 4.000" bore instead of the 3.780" bore of the 5.3...so, yes, same block.

The engine weights are listed near the bottom of this page; I quoted the aluminum mills at 425 lbs. and you'll see that Novak lists them at 407. The iron blocks are 470 lbs. Whether the 70-lb. weight reduction of the aluminum block is worth an extra thousand dollars...well, that's up to you. I see complete higher-mileage L33 (aluminum block/aluminum head) packages go for $2000 quite frequently, and that's everything from the block to the gas pedal, and all the metal and wiring in between. All you need to do it get it bolted in place and running; how much that costs is kind of up to you as well. As far as rebuilding for mileage/power is concerned: a stock 5.3 in a Jeep is stout, and a built one is frightening.

Let me put it to you this way: I've been sorting out the nuances of an engine swap for months, now, and the aluminum 5.3 is where I've wound up. Read EVERYTHING on the Novak site and then start reading build threads. A swap isn't cheap, but if you get some cash out of your present engine you can probably do it pretty cheaply.

Unread 11-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Redsand723

Ever checked into propane for your current engine? its a lot cheaper to do and doesn't stall out
Redsand723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know all about swaps.... I did the 350 swap last year and before that I built multiple engines/cars..

I didn't even think about propane... It's a good idea but i don't know how practical it would be for my DD. I'll look into tho

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Weight shouldn't be an issue according to that link my current engine weighs in the neighbor hood of 550lb and i don't have any weight issues...

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr
Weight shouldn't be an issue according to that link my current engine weighs in the neighbor hood of 550lb and i don't have any weight issues...
Dropping 150 lbs. from the front... that'd be an awesome weight savings. If you've done a lot of swaps before you should be in good shape.

Unread 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
CJ7dreamer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand723
Ever checked into propane for your current engine? its a lot cheaper to do and doesn't stall out
I have been looking into a dual fuel system, all the simplicity of the carb, the off camber of propane and increased fuel capacity. Run on gas until the tough obstacle then switch over to propane.
CJ7dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

Dropping 150 lbs. from the front... that'd be an awesome weight savings. If you've done a lot of swaps before you should be in good shape.
Ya I'm not worried about the swap I just cant decide if I should stay with the 350 and put fuel injection or maybe propane, or if I should spend a little more and go with a 6.0/5.3

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7dreamer View Post
I have been looking into a dual fuel system, all the simplicity of the carb, the off camber of propane and increased fuel capacity. Run on gas until the tough obstacle then switch over to propane.
That's a cool idea...albeit one with more parts and complexity than I care for. It's kind of like solving a problem, and then solving the problems that came with the previous solution. Personally, I like the ease and simplicity of a fuel-injected engine...but that's just me.

Given the OP's question, I'd still stick by my 5.3 suggestion. There will be plenty of guys that want the mill he's running now so that'll be some money coming back in once he sells it. The 6.0's - as I said earlier - can make a lot of power; I had a friend that was running a basically-stock LQ9 that was putting out 440-ish numbers, and while that was awesomely-cool it was also hard on parts. The 5.3's are very popular engines - at least in the TJ world - for a reason; they swap in easily and they're the right size. A decent iron-block 5.3 won't set you back much and if you're someone - like the OP - who knows engines and isn't worried about being inside of one, you can build a nice little setup for not-a-lot of money, and you'll be lighter than either his current 5.7 or (for most of us) the stock 4.0 inline. If you get lucky you can find a complete aluminum/aluminum package - like the L33 I mentioned - for around $2000; you can spend less if you shop carefully. A few ancillaries and some motor mounts and you're good to go, having dropped 150 lbs. and gained simple tuning in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
Ya I'm not worried about the swap I just cant decide if I should stay with the 350 and put fuel injection or maybe propane, or if I should spend a little more and go with a 6.0/5.3
Were I in your position, I'd go for the 5.3 and be done with it. I don't think it'll cost you much more if you're savvy with the wrenches and the welder.

Unread 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Cam you lumpy for factory tbi setup? That at the junkyards all day and cheap.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.