Fuel cell mounting. Hard vs bushings. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Fuel cell mounting. Hard vs bushings.

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel cell mounting. Hard vs bushings.

I'm droping a fuel cell in the floor of my TJ. I built a flat skid off the rear to a custom cross member for the cell to mount on. I'm using a Artec mount to hold it in place. I have it hard mounted to the skid right now, but I was thinking about using some bushings between the Artec mount and the skid. I know I have seen a picture or two of cells mounted that way, but not much info about how well it works. Thoughts?

Thanks

Unread 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use Energy Suspension shock bushings between my straps and the tub. While I 'think' you'd be just fine running it hard-mounted, the bushings are cheap insurance. The last thing you want is to crack your fuel cell.....

Definitely pumped to see details on your skid. Post up pics when you can.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im going to run a set of these between my cell and my mount.
http://www.central4wd.com/inventoryd...x?page=id|7923

I know some who had there cell crack when it was solid mounted.
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I ordered some shock bushings, since my local NAPA didn't have anything.

The skid is nothing special, it's been done a few times before.

Unread 12-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Several years back I helped build a Jeep Speed Cherokee for one of my sons and I hard mounted the fuel cell with no problems. After that he moved up to a race truck (forgot what class though) and the fuel cell was also hard mounted. He bought that truck used from a professional team that had won many times with it.
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

A guy in my club who hardmounted his cell had the welds crack. He blamed it on being hard mounted. I don't know. I planned on using bushings just to be safe.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It all depends on your Jeep. The reason that some can get away without cracks and others can't is because of the rigidity of the chassis. If the chassis is very rigid (i.e. full cage, trianglated well) your fuel cell will not crack hard mounted because everything moves as one. If you have a less rigid chassis, and hard mounted, you will eventually see cracks.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for the input. I have some Engergy Suspension bushings to put in between now. I haven't found anyone that had problems, that used bushings. Seems like the safer way to go.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.