front locker stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > front locker stuck

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 12-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
jeeperman2001
2006 LJ Wrangler 

front locker stuck

I've just swapped out my wheel hubs and in the process decided to clean the diff and tubes on my 2006 rubi unlimited. My buddy and I pulled the carrier out to check the seals. when I put the carrier back in I must have screwed something up because now the locker won't disengage. I don't see anything obvious, anyone have suggestions on what I could check?

jeeperman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Presumably you had the fill plug in the cover out. Back it out a little and you'll be fine. If you screw it in too tight it contacts the carrier and causes the locker to stay locked.
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

very hard to say with out the seeing part. you used a case spreader to remove it and replace it ?. the wire to the locker is fragile, used more so.
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
jeeperman2001
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thanks to both of you for the reply. I have not removed the plug and did not use any type of spreader. To remove all I did was simply pry on the passenger side of the gear and it popped right out. one shim on each side and the bearing race. I put it back together the same way (or so I thought).

I will take some picks later today when I dive into it again.
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

i would put money on the locker sensor ring being on the wrong side of the actual sensor in the back of the diff. happened to me when i picked my axle up from a regear. it causes the locker ring to ride to the left causing the locker to partially engage.

might have to pull the carrier back out and verify the sensor is on the correct side when reinstalling the carrier.

to verify this is the issue use a dental mirror to try and sight the issue or partially unscrew the axle lock sensor and the axle should unlock. (reinstalling the sensor will require you to pull the carrier so dont pull it out if its not the problem)
stuck-locker.jpg

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates to this?

A Hokie build

Unread 12-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
jeeperman2001
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It turns out, it was the disengage plunger in the back of the diff. I thought I had it locked out of the way but my plastic must have slipped when I put the carrier back in the first time. I just finished putting it back together two days ago and drove it yesterday. Thanks for the responses.
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperman2001
It turns out, it was the disengage plunger in the back of the diff. I thought I had it locked out of the way but my plastic must have slipped when I put the carrier back in the first time. I just finished putting it back together two days ago and drove it yesterday. Thanks for the responses.
Glad you got it fixed.

A Hokie build

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.