Front dana 44 help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Front dana 44 help

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
Check out parts mike he has really good prices on builder parts.

If it was me I would go with deadnbar.
Dedenbear inner c's and knuckles are now Reid, correct? Only Dana 60 for inner c's.

Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Dedenbear inner c's and knuckles are now Reid, correct? Only Dana 60 for inner c's.
I'm not sure if they got bought out or not.

As far as finding some inner c's Not sure were to look. Somebody surely sells them. They make new axles every day.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Parts mike had a D44 inner C listed on their site when I was looking at parts earlier today. They didn't list much information on them but they have always been helpful whenever I've called.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #19
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Crane sells inner C s. Beefy forged units. I run them with Reid knuckles. Plenty of meat to bore to 3. Inches. With all the issues I wonder if starting over with another housing would be wise.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
1971CJ5Man
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Crane sells inner C s. Beefy forged units. I run them with Reid knuckles. Plenty of meat to bore to 3. Inches. With all the issues I wonder if starting over with another housing would be wise.
Yea I think I would start over, I myself have narrowed D44 & D60's in the past and have never had a tube leak at the diff. The last D44 I narrowed I set the pinion angle at 8deg. and the caster at 7deg. drives and handles great. I cut the axle tubes first then use a torch to split the pressed in piece in 3 pieces, after that light taps with a hammer and you have a clean inter C ready to reuse. The D44 housings from a dodge W100 1/2 ton truck work the best as the axle tubes are 1/2" thick and do not have the disconnect. 25 years of welding and fabrication I'd rather build it than buy it. At least if something goes wrong I know who to blame.
1971CJ5Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971CJ5Man View Post
Yea I think I would start over, I myself have narrowed D44 & D60's in the past and have never had a tube leak at the diff. The last D44 I narrowed I set the pinion angle at 8deg. and the caster at 7deg. drives and handles great. I cut the axle tubes first then use a torch to split the pressed in piece in 3 pieces, after that light taps with a hammer and you have a clean inter C ready to reuse. The D44 housings from a dodge W100 1/2 ton truck work the best as the axle tubes are 1/2" thick and do not have the disconnect. 25 years of welding and fabrication I'd rather build it than buy it. At least if something goes wrong I know who to blame.
The Dodge unit is going to be a LP center. Only Ford had the HP. Depending on the application the chunk may be of the wrong side.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, it appears that the leak is not coming from the tube/center section, rather when the casting was notched for the perch, he cut into the tube.
So, that should be an easy enough repair...
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Dana 44's are commonly referred to by us mudtruck guys as smilers...and as I say this I'm knocking on wood...the reason for this is unless you gusset them it only take a few hard licks to make em smile...this is what usually makes them leak...the 44's in the 250's are just 1/2 ton axles with 8 lug outers and a slightly bigger wheel bearing...I've been really fortunate so far but I keep mine open and only use 5.75" of the steering lock to lock...reason is I'm running 44"tall x 11.5"wide r-1 tractor tires on 24" rims....pull a string from top of c to top of c and see if it is smiling...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Doh ...sorry didn't read everthin first...but if it's smiling it will soon cause prollems...so still a good thing to check...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.