Frame replacement. Building custom frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Frame replacement. Building custom frame

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
95yj-af
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Frame replacement. Building custom frame

I've been thinking about replacing my frame for awhile. There isn't any YJ's in the yards around here so I've decided I would like to build my own frame, but don't know where to start. I would like to use it as a daily driver again, I see a complete drivetrain change in the distant future. It'll be used for moderate off roading. I don't know if I should go with round or square tubing. Is there a book or a good website that shows the different types along with advantages and disadvantages of each. Overkill is not a word I'm familiar with, any ideas will be appreciated. Where I live doesn't have vehicle inspections, and the place I will be living in a few years won't have one either. My springs are almost flat and am thinking of possibly going with either a stretch or going the coil route. I'm not looking for crazy lifted jeep, but one that is capable and can drive it to work daily.

95yj-af is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Are you trying to accomplish some sort of improved ability with an improved frame? Integrated tummy tuck, coil conversion, high clearance with tubing, full cage? If not, youre best off restoring/ replacing your current frame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
jason m
Web Wheeler

A custom frame depends on your abilities and what the end goal is. I guess what I mean is how HD do you want it, 2x3 3/16'' come's to my mind, but for a real HD one I built a sub chassie for a willys/buggy out of 2x4 1/4" wall but that never made its way under the Jeep.

I based some of it off the OEM body mounts but mostly it would been a custom build.
I have Pics of it leaning against the wall, it my half-azz shelf, if I can I will try to get some Pics.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
95yj-af
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pics would be great. It doesn't have to be to much stronger than stock
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

here is the factory specs

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
95yj-af
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've downloaded this picture about 30 times expecting something different every time, knowing it'll be the same.
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
CollierJeeper
1985 CJ7 

Cj Similar Question

I plan on creating a custom frame for a future build (soon I hope) of a CJ-7/Swamp Buggy. FL doesn't have inspections but I'm trying to find out if a home made frame is legal to run on the streets, if I need it inspected and haven't gotten anywhere. Does anybody have a clue or done something similar? I want to be as close to legal as possible as I see a Jeep/Buggy on 46s running the streets of my home town getting stopped by the cops quite a bit.

Lots of good ideas for the build, will post those later.
CollierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
95yj-af
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Those are the same questions I have
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You can drive pretty much anything with a valid vin plate on it on highway in florida or new mexico.

that said, you had better be a very competent fabricator if you plan on building your own frame. Not a project for a novice welder.

Personally i would make it from dom instead of square tube. Stronger for the weight and dimensions.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
CollierJeeper
1985 CJ7 

I like the idea of tube, bend it and cut down on the welding. Any advice on tube size?
CollierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

2X3 or 2X4

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.