Ford 8.8 axle tube welding - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Ford 8.8 axle tube welding

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

At work we used to lay a base coat with nickel rod and then burn into that with 7018. Be sure to keep things meticulously clean. This was on caterpillars getting rebuilt. After welding the frames and blocks they would be re-machined. Good for another 40 years of 16-hr days.

pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

I don't use 7018 just for the simple fact of having to keep them in a rod oven.

I use 6011 on just about everything I do. It produces beautiful welds without hardly any effort. The trick is to slow down your travel, let it pool up enough. It has a strong arc and great penetration. If you slow down your travel speed and watch the dark cherry red pool behind the bright orange slag pool you will get much better results. Newbies make the mistake of watching the slag pool thinking that's the weld, but the true weld puddle is just behind it. That is why newbies welds look like crap. That and they move the rod too fast. On a side note. If your helmet shade is too dark, then you won't be able to see the dark cherry red pool.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think I will pre and post heat the axle and burn it in with my mig and see what happens.
Homebrewed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just started building my 8.8. I felt like it was too easy welding to cast. Is there something I'm missing? Heated it pretty good with a blowtorch and welded up the bung for the tone ring. Used flux on my 140. Looks nice. What concerns should there be when welding cast? I want to start plating the bottom tomorrow (making a skid that is, welding to the diff housing, making it easier for rocks to slid) kinda worried to much plate will tweak/crack the housing from heat? Or is that not a concern?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
I felt like it was too easy welding to cast.
Thats because it is easy welding to a casted center sectoin. A lot of people put to much thought into it, yes clean it to shinney metal, then remove any form of dirt or greese, put a little pre-heat and have at it.

Welding the tubes or the top of a truss is a just insurance to keep parts locked in better. Its not intended to put all the force from your rig them, so welding the tubes and to the top just helps spreed the load around.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.