Ford 8.8 axle tube welding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Ford 8.8 axle tube welding

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Homebrewed2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Ford 8.8 axle tube welding

I am getting ready to swap a ford 8.8 in my YJ and I want to weld the axle tubes to the pumpkin. I have been doing some searching on the internet and get mixed results. I will be using my Miller 211. Some sights say to use high nickle wire other say regular wire is fine. I figured I would get some opinions on here before I try anything. Thanks

Homebrewed2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was TIG welded with high nickle rod, but its certainly not a requirement. Solid or flux core in your machine works fine as well.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Would you think 6011 or could 7018 be used?
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is not a recommendation, just saying... I didn't know steel/cast welding was a big deal when I welded mine 7-8 years ago, so I just welded it like it was all steel with my MIG. Alls well since then.
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I did. I found a junk rotor and welded scraps of steel to it. Once I was comfortable with welding the two together, I moved to my axle.

I welded one inch at a time on one side, then the other. Waited an hour. Then welded the opposite side of the tube, then the other. I did this until the tubes were fully welded to the pumpkin.

I welded my rear axle a couple years ago in February in weather that was in the teens with my Hobart 140 with FLUX wire.
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post

I welded my rear axle a couple years ago in February in weather that was in the teens with my Hobart 140 with FLUX wire.
I wouldn't have thought that that machine had enough amps to weld that heavy of material. I would have wanted a bigger machine and I think I will preheat before welding.

My thought.
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder

I wouldn't have thought that that machine had enough amps to weld that heavy of material. I would have wanted a bigger machine and I think I will preheat before welding.

My thought.
I welded my 8.8, my friends 8.8, and my dana 30 from my TJ before I sold it. So far, so good.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I use 7018 when I have welded on shock mounts and spring perches.
BlueRubiconrich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
This is what I did. I found a junk rotor and welded scraps of steel to it. Once I was comfortable with welding the two together, I moved to my axle.

I welded one inch at a time on one side, then the other. Waited an hour. Then welded the opposite side of the tube, then the other. I did this until the tubes were fully welded to the pumpkin.

same here, everything ive welded on my jeep is from my Hobart 140
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've built several things for my Jeep with a Lincoln weld pack 100. The bumpers have taken a pounding and are still good and solid. They are 3/8 and under steel. The axle housing is is cast steel and the tubes are usually high carbon steel if I remember correctly so those being welded together require preheat and post weld controlled cooling in order to do it right. That is what I was taught however if you have done it and it works and holds that's what counts. So did you do any preheating? I want to know so I can do the same. I'm not trying to be a pain or smart a**.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't preheat.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright cool that will make things easier. Thanks.
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder
Alright cool that will make things easier. Thanks.
Pics, of the process (if possible).
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
dhubing
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I pre-heated (the cast part) to 400ish degrees and welded with standard Mig. Then post heated.
dhubing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #15
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
Would you think 6011 or could 7018 be used?
If you have to use stick and want a weld that doesn't look like hammered sh*t then I'd recommend the 7018. When considering filler metal for strength keep in mind the 70 or 60 at the start of the 7018 or 6010 indicates the tensile strength of that rod.

As far as doing this without preheat... that's up to you but I'd take the time and do it. At a minimum it will burn off some oils that may still be on the metals.. it also helps the weld tie in better, and it reduces distortion, it reduces the heat affected zone surrounding the weld (where it will break first if it gets tempered) by spreading the heat over a larger area so you don't have just a narrow strip of rapidly cooled metal right next to the weld. Make sure you clean the areas where you'll be welding of rust, paint, anything but clean metal.. unless you want to have the welds look like swiss cheese.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.