Engine swap wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Engine swap wiring

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
86-CJ
1986 CJ7 

Engine swap wiring

I have recently purchased a 86 CJ that has been highly modified with the 4.3L swap, I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can work my way around fab but not too skilled with the wiring aspect of the customization.

The original shop that wired the jeep must have not passed kindergarten cause its a mess and I mean mess... I'm new to the site here and couldn't find a search option to research before I post something that has probably been asked a million times,
But are there any wiring kits from painless or novak offered to rewire the jeep right and clean not using 20million splices 3 fuse blocks and wiring that doesn't work half the time.

86-CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
zooby
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive had very good luck with howell fuel injection http://howellefi.com/
They use factory (gm) colors and connectors and components, their customer service is incredible. Ive been involved in a number of projects over the years with people using the other peoples harness and I will only use them.
My last project was a 2004 astro van 4.3 and 4l60 auto into a 1984 toyota pu. It had to pass Ca emissions when we were done. They didn't sell a harness and pcm for our application so they made one to order. After install we found out there was something in the pcm programming we needed changed. They sent us another pcm with return shipping free of charge.
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
86-CJ
1986 CJ7 

Thanks, I sent them an inquiry on what I have going on. hopefully they can help. I'm really disappointed on the wiring, I have always heard good things about the place that wired it. had a buddy who had a nova rewind there and they did a good job. This wiring is scary kinda looks like a tweaker did it. if they can't help me at least i have a model to follow and redo it with a stock harness, or make my own (which I don't want to do)
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Depending on what year 4.3 it is, get a wiring diagram from a vehicle for that year with that engine. Start working your way through the wiring diagram one wire at a time to see how all of the connections you have on your jeep compare to stock connections.

I know it sounds tedious, but it really is pretty straightforward once you knuckle under and actually get started. There are a finite number of items that need to be connected correctly to the engine and the pcm, and with patience you can get them all wired properly.

You could also order a harness from painless wiring and start over, but that's pretty spendy.
GraySkies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
86-CJ
1986 CJ7 

Grayskies, yeah I may do that this next coming winter running out of time now that the rain should be stopping and time to get into working dirt for planting.

I went ahead and rewired the whole under dash mess they had going on and mad it much much cleaner and got all the gauges to work. Probably going to order up a new harness from howell or painless and tear into it and go through the old and mimic it to the new cleanly and right. and move the cpm to the inside of the cab. Id use the old harness but its so butchered it not even worth saving. the under dash harness into the steering column and gauges i started to do that and repair it but I ended up just replacing the whole thing with a homemade rewire...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.