Engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Engine swap

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
JeeperTodd
1977 CJ7 

Engine swap

Hi all,
I'm a newbe here so if you can please forgive if I ask repeated questions. I'm looking to swap out my 6 cylinder to a 283 v8 or 350 v8. The jeep is all stock. Besides the engine what else will I need? Also does anybody have a ball park of what this is going to cost me after I purchase the engine? I found a 350 with 800 miles on it for $600.
Thanks again and this is an awesome site. Looking forward to the inputs

JeeperTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
AughtThree
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the middle of swapping a 350 into my '98 TJ, so I can tell you what I've run into so far.

You'll need the engine, obviously. I'm rebuilding one from an '82 pickup that I got for $200. We've sunk about $1500 into it so far and will probably add another $500, but by the end we'll have a custom built Vortec monster. If the one you've found is running well you could put it straight in, or do a quick and dirty overhaul to make it run like new and squeeze a little extra torque out of it. If you don't have the time/ability to rebuild, you can get a decent new crate engine for anywhere from $1500 to $5000 depending on what you want and are willing to spend.

I'm swapping out the 2.5L 4 cylinder from my Jeep, so we'll be replacing the flimsy stock transmission with one capable of handling the power being added. Check www.novak-adapt.com ! They have a host of rebuilt transmissions for sale along with adapter plates to bolt any transmission to any engine and any Jeep transfer case. They also make engine mounts for putting a Chevy small block into a Jeep, so you'll need to get those and have them welded in.

Good luck with the swap!
AughtThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes definitely look at Novak for bits and pieces to help with the swap. I'm using them for engine mounts and a few other parts for my 5.2 V8 swap.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are not going to rebuild the engine you are looking in the $3k and up range. I have over 3 in my swap with paying $500 for the engine but i already had the Trans and tcase. Also are u going to be doing the work yourself? It is pretty time consuming

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.