Engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Engine swap

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
JeeperTodd
1977 CJ7 

Engine swap

Hi all,
I'm a newbe here so if you can please forgive if I ask repeated questions. I'm looking to swap out my 6 cylinder to a 283 v8 or 350 v8. The jeep is all stock. Besides the engine what else will I need? Also does anybody have a ball park of what this is going to cost me after I purchase the engine? I found a 350 with 800 miles on it for $600.
Thanks again and this is an awesome site. Looking forward to the inputs

JeeperTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
AughtThree
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the middle of swapping a 350 into my '98 TJ, so I can tell you what I've run into so far.

You'll need the engine, obviously. I'm rebuilding one from an '82 pickup that I got for $200. We've sunk about $1500 into it so far and will probably add another $500, but by the end we'll have a custom built Vortec monster. If the one you've found is running well you could put it straight in, or do a quick and dirty overhaul to make it run like new and squeeze a little extra torque out of it. If you don't have the time/ability to rebuild, you can get a decent new crate engine for anywhere from $1500 to $5000 depending on what you want and are willing to spend.

I'm swapping out the 2.5L 4 cylinder from my Jeep, so we'll be replacing the flimsy stock transmission with one capable of handling the power being added. Check www.novak-adapt.com ! They have a host of rebuilt transmissions for sale along with adapter plates to bolt any transmission to any engine and any Jeep transfer case. They also make engine mounts for putting a Chevy small block into a Jeep, so you'll need to get those and have them welded in.

Good luck with the swap!
AughtThree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes definitely look at Novak for bits and pieces to help with the swap. I'm using them for engine mounts and a few other parts for my 5.2 V8 swap.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are not going to rebuild the engine you are looking in the $3k and up range. I have over 3 in my swap with paying $500 for the engine but i already had the Trans and tcase. Also are u going to be doing the work yourself? It is pretty time consuming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.