EGR questions with 5.2 Dodge swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > EGR questions with 5.2 Dodge swap

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yj EGR questions with 5.2 Dodge swap

Does anybody have any idea how much the EGR on the 1992 Dodge 5.2 affects emissions? I know it's there to reduce nox in the combustion chamber by lower the temp.
I have been told by several people that they leave the connector plugged into the computer, but no EGR on the exhaust and it works fine.
If I was to go to center dump shorty headers, I wouldn't be able to keep the EGR.
My rig has to pass emissions, so will I be able to pass the sniff test? No visual here.
The only reason I'm considering headers is I'm using a ZJ passenger exhaust manifold with the EGR, and a 1970's era 318 drivers side center dump manifold.
I get kind of a lumpy idle because of the difference, but no codes and it drives great with lots of power.
I can't use the ZJ drivers side because I'm using the AX15 and it dumps right on top of the starter. The Dodge truck manifold pushed the engine too far forward for my taste, and obviously the engine mounts are welded on now.

Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You may get a code once in awhile (probably won't with OBD1), and I doubt you'll notice a difference in running or exhaust emissions if you have a good cat.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You get a bad idle, and probably lower power than you should, because of that la style manifold.
Yeah, it will bolt to magnum heads, but the exhaust ports are all wrong and are robbing power

As for the egr, they weren't needed when the obdii systems rolled out, but obdi doesn't control things as well and you may not pass the sniffer.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is something I was wondering about as well. I pulled a 5.2 out of a 97 ZJ (using an NV3500 for my tranny) and was wondering about a few things, this was one of them.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

One of the techs I work with is emissions certified for WA state and he told me that they don't check for Nox but, Oregon does, so it would fail down there.
So, I would be good to go for that.
The issues of pinging may be a problem. The EGR introduces exhaust gases to cool the combustion chamber temps. When the temp gets too high (1400 F I believe) high levels of Nox are created.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The 5.2 didnt really need the egr.
Most often pinging is caused by a blown plenum pan gasket.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.