Different Width Axle Advice (Poll) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Different Width Axle Advice (Poll)

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

View Poll Results: To lengthen or not to lengthen and how to go about it?
Leave it be with rear axle 6" wider 2 8.33%
Add 2" adapters to the front making the difference only 2" total 7 29.17%
Add 3" adapters to the front making the axles the same length 2 8.33%
You have no business owning this Cherokee. Drive it off of a cliff immediately! 9 37.50%
Other - please specify 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Different Width Axle Advice (Poll)

Ok, long story short... I have a Waggy D44 and a Ford 9" that I just put under my '92 Cherokee. I'm a ******* and didn't realize that the 9" was THAT much wider than the D44. I just eyeballed them and thought they looked close enough. After measuring the 9" is 6" wider than the D44. I am NOT buying new axles, so help me decide what route to go here. This is primarily just a trail rig, but will see light road use to/from the trails.

Options....

1 - Just roll with the width difference, which also has me running different bolt patterns, but I found wheels that match. Waggy is 6x5.5 and Ford is 5x5.5. I would just pick up a 2 piece adapter for the spare, so I only have to carry one spare along....

Pick up wheel adapters from this guy http://www.motorsport-tech.com/ Who I've been talking to and said he can make me 2 or 3" adapters that will be hub and wheel centric that will work well and put no extra wear and tear on any other parts.

2 - So, 2" adapters

3 - or 3" adapters

Again... I do not have the money to go in a different direction at this point and I'm too anxious to get the Jeep back on the trails after being down for so long. So, one of these IS happening.

*edit*
after voting please add a comment explaining your reasoning. Thanks

Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Using spacers on your steering axle is really rough on the wheel bearings. You could end up rebuilding the d44 a couple times in the next 10 years.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Using spacers on your steering axle is really rough on the wheel bearings.
How is it any different than running wheels with lower backspacing?
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Using spacers on your steering axle is really rough on the wheel bearings. You could end up rebuilding the d44 a couple times in the next 10 years.
Depending on how much that would cost me to replace myself I'm not really worried about it. Keep in mind the XJ will see very little use. As much as I would like to take it out every weekend Between my soccer, son's soccer, daughter's gymnastics and dance....other family fun. I have very little "me" time. I'm guessing I'll get away to wheel it maybe 5-6 times a year?

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

How is it any different than running wheels with lower backspacing?
It's no different, crazy backspacing will cause you the same problem. Pick up one of your tires and see how long you can hold it, now rest up and do it again, but this time hold the tire 2-3" from your body It can be done, just make sure you repeatedly check to make sure the spacers stay tight.
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Stop and go street driving, and pot holes will be the enemy These are just issues to be aware of, it doesn't make the mods undo-able.
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
just make sure you repeatedly check to make sure the spacers stay tight.
That's not a problem at all. Like I said it will see little use to begin with. I have no issues checking the torque of ALL the lug nuts/bolts before each trip out. From what I've read that is the biggest issue and what causes damage from running adapters/spacers. Not checking the torque, having them loosen up, and a wheel falling off or lugs snapping off.

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeeps are infinitely modifiable, anything goes, make it yours and love it. The drivetrain mods are each going to do something to way it rides and drives, but that's just what makes it all the more unique
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Stop and go street driving, and pot holes will be the enemy These are just issues to be aware of, it doesn't make the mods undo-able.
I drove it around the neighborhood (still need to get my rear shock mounts welded, so it was acting a bit funky) and the steering didn't feel bad at all. I felt a little "push" through the corners because of the wider rear, but nothing I couldn't live with....barely noticeable. So, if that is the major issue with running a wider rear axle I don't know that I'm really worried about it. I could pick up the 2" adapters. They aren't quit as extreme as the 3" flavor, will give me the same bolt pattern all around, and should help a little with that "pushing" through the corners.

That's what I'm leaning to at this point in time anyway.

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

S8NNG8 - thanks for the quick feedback and advice on this. Vote in the poll already

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a choice I made that others seem to frown upon. Do you see how much my rearend stands up?

forumrunner_20130303_101459.jpg

You'd never guess it has 200+lbs of this in the back

forumrunner_20130303_101539.jpg
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

What is that in the back? Post more pics

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5

I drove it around the neighborhood (still need to get my rear shock mounts welded, so it was acting a bit funky) and the steering didn't feel bad at all. I felt a little "push" through the corners because of the wider rear, but nothing I couldn't live with....barely noticeable. So, if that is the major issue with running a wider rear axle I don't know that I'm really worried about it. I could pick up the 2" adapters. They aren't quit as extreme as the 3" flavor, will give me the same bolt pattern all around, and should help a little with that "pushing" through the corners.

That's what I'm leaning to at this point in time anyway.
You can also have the spacers welded on, but I'd think not cuz you'd be welding them to the rotor(which is slightly disposable
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8

You can also have the spacers welded on, but I'd think not cuz you'd be welding them to the rotor(which is slightly disposable
How would you change a stud then?

Plus spacers are usually aluminum and rotor is cast. Not sure you can weld those together.

I don"t like spacers at anything over 1.5" let alone 3" seems to much stress on studs(which would be aluminum most the time as well).
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
How would you change a stud then?

Plus spacers are usually aluminum and rotor is cast. Not sure you can weld those together.
Yeah, don't worry about discussing this. I'm not going that route.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.