Dana "super 18" transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Dana "super 18" transfer case?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Dana "super 18" transfer case?

A few time now I've heard it mentioned, but can't find any information on doing it. From what I understand, this may be just what I am looking for.

I am looking to replace my Quadratrac, but want to keep my TH400.
I found a TH400 mated to a Dana 20 from a Commando.
The problem is that I want to use the off set ,and much lower output of a Dana 18. Not to mention the lower low range.
Finding a 4" bore input D18 to bolt up in place of the D20 is turning out to be a lesson in futility.(I could imagine expensive if I do) The guy the has the TH400/D20 combo has about every other D18 made BUT the 4" bore.

He told me he's heard about putting the guts of a D18 into the D20, but said he has never actually done it. He just heard it could be done.

And information on which D18 I would need to do this ,if possible???
I could get the 400/D20 and a D18 all for $350.

I'm not finding any information on actually doing it.
From Novak..
Final Civilian, 1966-1971
The "large case" version of the Dana 18 was the most improved version of all. It was only found behind the Buick V6 engine with its T86 and T14 transmissions. The case casting used was that from the Dana 18's progenitor, the Dana Spicer Model 20. This case featured a 4" locating bore and a single stick shifter and new front output cap. The front output assembly did not provision for a shifter mounting point, as the shifter was anchored to a transmission bracket. The internals were essentially identical with the standard Dana 18. This version is best thought of as Dana 18 guts in a Dana 20 shell. Individuals can build a "Super 18" by copying this version.

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
4S50
1984 CJ7 

I compiled all the parts to put one of these together a few years ago, but got distracted and put it on the shelf. As I recall it is just emptying the Dana 20 case and filling it with Dana 18 parts. I think the fill plug might be off. Check in at www.earlycj5.net and you will find several people who have done it.
4S50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
AKLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have done it too. There is an intermediate shaft size difference between the D18 and D20. That is the increase in strength and it gives it more bearing life. That shaft, middle gear, and case are the only things that I remember using from the 20. I ordered the rebuild kit from Novak.
AKLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
4S50
1984 CJ7 

I also used Novak rebuild kits for two Dana 18s (and also used their adapters) and highly recommend their stuff. The intermediate shafts and bearings fit great and are still rolling along.
4S50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the replys guys. I had forgotten I posted this on this board, sorry for not thanking you sooner.
I hope to be picking up a th400/d20 combo soon. Then I'll be looking for a D18 to use for the guts. Just need to figure out the right one to use.
My Quadratrac chain is starting to get stretched again, it won't last much longer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.