Dana 60 rear on 2.5L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Dana 60 rear on 2.5L

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 60 rear on 2.5L

I have a dana 60 rear for sale in my area for $150. I have a 2.5L YJ and was wondering if I should even consider purchasing this. I have 35's on my jeep now and am just waiting for something to snap. I know it's probably overkill for the 2.5L and 35's that I currently have but it's such a good deal on a great rear-end. I plan on doing an engine swap in the future and want to begin by swapping out the stock axles. Should I go with the 60 or just find something better suited for my rig?

KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

most dana 60's, unless custom ordered, are much wider than your current axles. a rear ff60 from a truck or van will be in the range of 64-65.5" wide. not the best choice when keeping the front hp30.

if you think you'll go to 37's, get a nice pair of 60's or a hp60 from a 78-79 f250 or f350 and if just using the front pair it with a chevy 14b from a cab and chassis truck. they're a very, very simple job to swap into a yj.

and for turning whatever tires you want, that's all in the gearing. the 2.5 has enough power to get you where you need to be so long as the gears are selected right.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am very aware of the difference in width of the axles and I know that I will have to find a full width front as well. I'm not looking to swap axles in right this second but i would like to have al of my parts in order before I begin surgery. But, do you think that I should buy it. I mean $150 for a 1 ton rear axle is a great price
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreepyCrawler View Post
I mean $150 for a 1 ton rear axle is a great price
Great price for what?? A dana 60 thats all ready built with 35 spline 1.5" shafts, or at least a dana 60 that is a U model or a HD with the larger size spindle boars to except the 35 spline shafts.
If not its really a boat anchor, just cause the the rear is a "Dana 60" does not mean its a perfect axle for any type of swap, heck it could even be a mid 70's with 16 spline course shafts, good luck finding a locker for that.

Skip the 60 and look into a 14 Bolt or a similer axle ( really nothing comes close to a 14 B ) with all the beef from the start. Then theres no costly shafts upgrades and you have a R&P you can trust.

Yes I run a 60 rear, but its a steering Chevy 60 built, I had a 14 bolt and it was a perfect axle untill I wanted rear steer.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Great price for what?? A dana 60 thats all ready built with 35 spline 1.5" shafts, or at least a dana 60 that is a U model or a HD with the larger size spindle boars to except the 35 spline shafts.
If not its really a boat anchor, just cause the the rear is a "Dana 60" does not mean its a perfect axle for any type of swap, heck it could even be a mid 70's with 16 spline course shafts, good luck finding a locker for that.

Skip the 60 and look into a 14 Bolt or a similer axle ( really nothing comes close to a 14 B ) with all the beef from the start. Then theres no costly shafts upgrades and you have a R&P you can trust.

Yes I run a 60 rear, but its a steering Chevy 60 built, I had a 14 bolt and it was a perfect axle untill I wanted rear steer.

Jason.
Thanks. I was looking into it some more and I'll probably just go with a 44 front/rear or 44 front 8.8 rear. It will be a better combination for what I'll be doing. I know that the 60 isn't the end all be all axle and I do eventually want to swap a 14 bolt in there. I Just saw the 60 for that price and wanted to get some opinions before looking into it further. I'm not trying to swap in my axle right now with my dana30 front... Like I said, I wanted to gather parts together for my eventual build on my Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.