Dana 44 Swap Help Please! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Dana 44 Swap Help Please!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

There are three potential methods to doing anything: cheap, fast and right. Pick two.

With that said, I'd put 35's on the 8.8 and probably wouldn't feel too bad about 37's on a 9; the Ford 9 is a pretty strong setup by my reckoning. Any way you cut it, however, 37's cannot be done easily; they're going to take some effort in more ways than just axle strength.
What about an 8.8 with chromoly shafts and gears? 37's should be no problem, I presume.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
tdkask

I still don't think that there is a significant gain in strength to go from D44 to 8.8 or from 8.8 to 9, assuming all stock components. Yes you can get larger diameter shafts and chromo shafts, gears, etc... but the gain from one housing to the next (slightly larger) setup isn't worth the money spent. Also, you have to spend to get into 37's... basically a axle that costs more than it should. Clearance (at diff) in a D60 and 37s is not that great. Only slight gains over D44 and 35s or even D30 and 33s... You'll need to go bigger tire or shaved housing the see the gains. There is always a trade off.

Build the heck out of a D44 but don't expect to go beyond 37's, or go D60 knowing you'll eventually need more tire.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #33
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
What about an 8.8 with chromoly shafts and gears? 37's should be no problem, I presume.
I'd basically say that a built 44 - sleeved/trussed/gusseted - would be fine for 37's, and that the same amount of effort put into a 9" would give you a setup that would be plenty strong. Like I said...I wouldn't feel bad about 37's on a 9" rear at all, and once you get into the fabricated housings 9's start to get really strong. If I recall correctly, Savvy ran a Currie 9" rear in their KOH rig last year. I'm not sure what they ran in the front, but it may well have been a fabbed 9 there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
I still don't think that there is a significant gain in strength to go from D44 to 8.8 or from 8.8 to 9, assuming all stock components. Yes you can get larger diameter shafts and chromo shafts, gears, etc... but the gain from one housing to the next (slightly larger) setup isn't worth the money spent.
Well, you have to compare apples to apples; in my opinion - key word - a built 44 will handle a lot and a 9" built with the same investment will handle a lot more.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
If I recall correctly, Savvy ran a Currie 9" rear in their KOH rig last year.
Not to mention all the top 4400 (unlimited) class buggies running 600+ HP and 40's on fabricated 9s. There is no doubt 9s can be built to handle huge amounts of power and large tires, but you certainly pay to play
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Not to mention all the top 4400 (unlimited) class buggies running 600+ HP and 40's on fabricated 9s. There is no doubt 9s can be built to handle huge amounts of power and large tires, but you certainly pay to play
Like I said...cheap, fast and right...but you can only pick two.

Unread 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #36
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exactly, I'll have to remember that one, nicely said
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
cycleguy04

Quote:
Let me guess. Cheap and right would be stock D60's front and rear?

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A fab 9 with the right third member is a sick set up. It's more coin than I have!
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #39
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04

No, that is cheap and fast.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #40
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Then what is cheap and right?

Unread 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #41
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04

Then what is cheap and right?
Wait long enough for good deals on used parts.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #42
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Exactly, I'll have to remember that one, nicely said
You'll find that it applies to most everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
"Cheap" and "right" can be whatever you can buy at a discount or fabricate yourself over time; given the right tools and skills I could assemble a fabbed 69 with parts acquired at low or no cost, or through a trade, or whatever. I would say that stock 60's would be cheap and fast because you can get them for not-a-lot, parts are found most everywhere, and you can slap them under a rig with minimal work. Adding "right" to that setup would include a cut-down, shafts, lockers, good geometry on the links, and shaved housings. In my opinion:

- Cheap and Fast is something on the order of stock 60's or a 14-bolt, or whatever else will hold up and bolt up easily.

- Cheap and Right is whatever you can assemble yourself for low cost...which probably necessitates finding deals on parts and building it over time.

- Fast and Right requires that you pay shipping costs from Currie, Dynatrac or someone of similar reputation.

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
Wait long enough for good deals on used parts.
Also correct.

Unread 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #43
jason m
your ad here...

OP 37's on one tons is not as bad as most here are making it out to be, yes your axle's will be smashing rocks more than they would if you had 39's but they can hold up to the abuse.
Look at it this way with my 39's I run maybe 1-2 PSI, that puts them down to a 36" tire range, ya I hit and smash into alot of rocks with them, but they dont break.
With 37's maybe air down to 7-8 PSI, you wont get the traction as good as your looking for but you know what your ground clearance will be the same as mine now.
Its easyer to upgrade tires than axle's down the road to support those bigger tire's.

Me I would run a 60/14 bolt on a rig with 35's, they plain work.

I will add a little to what you guys are talking about.

Cheap and fast but also add reliable to that sentance, for the price nothing beats tons.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #44
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Cheap and fast but also add reliable to that sentance...
I think "right" covers "reliable," among other things.

Unread 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
I think "right" covers "reliable," among other things.
Ya your right.

I guess another way to put this hole 37" dana 60 idea is to look at the tires they are easy to upgrade, just pick up the phone and order a new set. Have them mounted and run them, if your Jeep is built around 37s then you will be able to clear 39's with little effort.
But this is ware the hole axle thing come's into play, if you have smaller axle's and want bigger tires its a axle upgrade along with a tire one and probally new rims.
Most who do one tons stay with a 8 lug pattern so rim selcetion stings the first time you buy them but now you can move threw tire selction and even upgrade size on one set of rims and axle's.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.