Dana 44 hybrid for cjs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Dana 44 hybrid for cjs

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Dana 44 hybrid for cjs

So everything Ive read and researched has simply confused me more. I have been waiting for ages to find a wagoneer d44 for my cj, no luck. I dont wanna use a scout because I dont want to have to cut it all apart. Around here I am constantly seeing chevy d44s with the passenger side drop and fors dana 44s with my bolt pattern for dirt cheap. My question is can i simply swap ford outer knuckes on to the chevy housings. If not what are my other options on combining the chevy housing and 5 0n 5.5 bolt pattern.
Im not concerned with axle with at all really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Unread 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
jason m
your ad here...

Since you didn't say I'm guessing its for your CJ? If so your going to stay pass drop, right? If yes to both of those questoins then get a Chevy as they will be a pass side and a few of them can be found with 4.10's.
And yes you can swap all the Ford guts onto the Chevy from the BJ's out to get the 5 on 5.5 pattern.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Yes I am talking about my cj, and thats good to hear. everything Ive found researching tends to be doing all sorts of hub, spindle, and knuckles from 3 different axles. Also would I be correct in assuming that I have to use the ford outer axle shafts with the inner shafts? And are the ujoints typically the same type? Basically Im looking at buying a ford axle and a chevy axle for about 100$ each and would rather not have to spend more on special shafts, hubs, and spindles.

Thanks again
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Chevy knuckles, small bearing spindles, and stub shafts. Ford hub/rotor, lug bolts, bearings. And locking hubs fit either, 19 spline.
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

So basically a chevy axle with ford hubs, rotors, and lockouts? The ford lockouts fit the chevy outer (stub) shaft as long as its of the small spindle bearing variety? I could leave the chevy knuckles in place?

Also would I use chevy or ford calipers/pads?
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven
Chevy knuckles, small bearing spindles, and stub shafts. Ford hub/rotor, lug bolts, bearings. And locking hubs fit either, 19 spline.
This is only needed if you want Chevy flat top knuckles. The OP never mentioned if he did from what I saw.

OP: If you don't want chevy flat tops then you could just use ford stuff from the knuckle out. Otherwise you have to combine parts. Do some searching on this its all over the web and I know I've posted what is needed a few times on this site.

The stub shaft must match the spindles.

Mr N's D44 website has a lot of information on this topic including part numbers. He also has a list of axle shaft lengths for axles as well as what u-joints they are used with.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559

This is only needed if you want Chevy flat top knuckles. The OP never mentioned if he did from what I saw.
That is what I run with Chevy brakes without high steer knuckles. My knuckles have no provisions for the high steer/pitman arms.

You CAN run high steer knuckles like I said earlier, but you can do it multiple ways.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
That is what I run with Chevy brakes without high steer knuckles. My knuckles have no provisions for the high steer/pitman arms.

You CAN run high steer knuckles like I said earlier, but you can do it multiple ways.
I run the same thing just with a high steer arm on one side.

I think were both getting at the same thing. There are multiple ways to accomplish a 5x5.5 bolt pattern on a D44. Using chevy knuckles is one way and using ford knuckles is another.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Ok thanks alot guys. I think ill use all the ford stuff, im more familiar with it. and im only doing about 5 inches of lift so i think i will get by with a pitman arm and TRE flip, instead of mix-n-matching chevy stuff.
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

If you go spring over the TRE flip won't work. The springs will be in the way.
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Its not spring over. Im using 4" wagoneer front springs also using them to stretch the wheelbase down the road. but thanks
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
If you go spring over the TRE flip won't work. The springs will be in the way.
by the way how well did that cam perk up your 2bbl 360?
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post

by the way how well did that cam perk up your 2bbl 360?
It made a big difference in low end torque. It used to bog down in 2nd gear coming out of a turn and no longer does. Also doesn't bog at wot in 1st anymore. I can't tell much improvement in higher rpm but I think with an intake and 4bbl it would be more noticeable
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
It made a big difference in low end torque. It used to bog down in 2nd gear coming out of a turn and no longer does. Also doesn't bog at wot in 1st anymore. I can't tell much improvement in higher rpm but I think with an intake and 4bbl it would be more noticeable
Cool good to know, I have been wanting to keep my 2bbl and have it profesionally built n tuned, while putting in a good cam and having the heads re-done with a valve job and light port matching to the intake. I like the idea of 2bbl mpg while maximising the power of the factory long block.

Id like to acheive 1lb-ft of torque per cu. in. with 200+ hp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.