Dana 44 high steer issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Dana 44 high steer issue

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 high steer issue

Ok i bought a kit on Ebay that comes with 1.5 inch DOM tubing an dchevy one ton tie rod ends along with th edana 44 high steer arms for my 78 HPdana 44 axle build. The only issue im having right now is that the high steer arms on the passanger side is too close to the tire the tie rod ends are touching each other and the drag link end is going to rub the tire. I cant get different wheels because i just bought these wheels they are 3.75 inch back spacing Mickey Thompson MT88 d windows and they are already mounted so they have to stay. I would prefer not to run wheel spacers to clear the rod ends what can i do to fix this. I have tried searching on the web and have read a few threads of people having the same issue but i dont ever see a resolve posted. Is anyone out there having this issue or ever had this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Unread 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you need a picture I can mock up th erod ends and post one if anyone needs.
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
jason m
your ad here...

Welcome to cutom fab

Can you run Hiem joints instead of the larger TRE's? A 3/4" body Hiem is smaller than a Chevy TRE and is stronger, so strength is not a concern there.
If you dead set on the TRE's then you will have to plug weld the holes shut, then re-drill the high steer arms with enough offset they need to clear the rim and them from touching eachother.
Or cut the arms re-weld them with a slight off set, but this does not solve the two TRE's from touching on that pass side knuckle. Really the only way is to plug whats there and drill new hole's, or of course Hiem joints.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

If you bought them from an Ebay store, try contacting them and see if they have any arms that are angled in away from the tires. Also let them know of the tre contacting each other. Hopefully they will let you return the arms for another set
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
If you bought them from an Ebay store, try contacting them and see if they have any arms that are angled in away from the tires. Also let them know of the tre contacting each other. Hopefully they will let you return the arms for another set
^^I'd try this first^^
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response. I bought them about 6 months ago so im not sure that a exchange is going to happen. Ill give it ago
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just the fact that the TRES make contact with eachother is a big WTF to the guy selling these.
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
Just the fact that the TRES make contact with eachother is a big WTF to the guy selling these.
I agree,

Do they offer the these arms or claim they can take Chevy TRE's or smaller ones?

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's an entire kit that you purchase it comes with the tubing the tie rod ends the Weld in inserts as well as the jam nuts and the high steer arms
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So are you saying that the TRE at the end of the drag link is touching the TRE for the the passenger side of the drag link? Is your drag link above or below the the HS arm? Is your tie rod above or below the knuckle side? Can either be changed? Ruff Stuff offers Chevy taper inserts. Drill out the the arm or knuckle and put in the insert (what ever way needed) and off you go.

Backspacing is what it is. Sell the wheels! Or get spacers. Or as said above, cut the arms, which I wouldn't do. Get new wheels.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Figure out how much space you would need to keep them from rubbing 1/4"-1/2"..etc. The thin non bolt-on spacers would work fine. Lets not turn this into another spacer debate. They would be fine.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
jeepin82
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the replies. I called Harsh Terrain and had them make me a custom off set set of arms with more spacing for the tie rods. I installed them and they fit perfect. No rubbing and plenty of clearance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.