Dana 44 Flat Top Knuckle High Steer Arms - 3 or 4 Bolt Mount? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Dana 44 Flat Top Knuckle High Steer Arms - 3 or 4 Bolt Mount?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Mud_Gypsy86
1986 CJ7 

Dana 44 Flat Top Knuckle High Steer Arms - 3 or 4 Bolt Mount?

Hello everyone, I hope that all is well. I am currently trying add a high steer setup to my Jeep CJ7 after performing a SOA suspension conversion. I have been looking at flat top knuckles for my front Dana 44, and have found two possible manufacturer candidates: Parts Mike and Reid Racing.
The Parts Mike knuckles (included in kit 1-ASP1001KK) are 1/2" taller than stock (Chevy) and have 3 steering arm mounting points. The Reid Racing knuckles (D44003CL and D44003CR) are 3/8" taller than stock and have 4 steering arm mounting points.

I would rather have 4 steering arm mounting points than 3, but I don't really know how big of a difference it makes. I would appreciate any and all opinions on this. Thanks.

Mud_Gypsy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The fourth hole is close to id say 1 1/2 inches farther than the 3rd hole. This is without measuring. I could measure the true distance when I get home if u would like. To me this has to make a substantial difference in strength
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i measured my high steer arm tonight for you. the 3 normal holes are 3 inches in overall separation. the 4 holes are 4 1/4 inches in overall separation. this has to add a great amount of sheer strength to the arm.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Mud_Gypsy86
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Tyler, I will definitely be going with the Reid Racing knuckles (4-bolt attachment). I don't want to sacrifice my family's safety to save a few bucks.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

One nice thing about the Reid knuckles is that the cast in steering arm for the tie rod is designed for a Ford Bronco. Meaning that you can achieve much better Ackerman then the typical longer wheelbase pickup trucks.

Here is how I set mine up and it steers and handles great. In fact I ran most of the season without the steering ram set up IE no steering stabilizer.

Measured the CL of the sector shaft to the pitman arm. IIRC it was 6.5 inches. Ran the drag link from the PA to the high steer arm (NWF) and attached it at as close to the 6.5 (CL of BJ to steering arm hole) as I could. Ended up with an almost flat DL at ride height and no bump steer.

Then for the tie rod the cast arms in the knuckle were opened up to 3/4 and the tie rod attached with heims and a grade 8 bolt from side to side.

1.5 DOM with .250 wall for both the DL and TR. Good Ackerman and great handling. Granted the tie rod is a couple inches lower but the better handling far outweighs the couple inches. Take a look at the Savvy Currie EMC rig and you will find that Gerald and John did the same thing.

Blaine showed me this and after studying the concept it was one of the best mods I`ve done to my junk.

Not the best picture...Day we bought my daughters TJ home....but if you look close you can see the overall setup. As for the TJ, it has ahem, changed quite a bit since this pic was taken. All for the good
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here is the reid knuckle that i got in for mine. and the highsteer arm from ruffstuff. these things are pretty heavy! i am also going with 1.5 OD dom .250 wall for my TR and DL but plan on using gm 1 ton tre instead of heims. i want to do this one time and correctly!
reid-knuckle.jpg

reid-knuckle-2.jpg

high-steer-arm-top.jpg

Unread 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjtyler View Post
here is the reid knuckle that i got in for mine. and the highsteer arm from ruffstuff. these things are pretty heavy! i am also going with 1.5 OD dom .250 wall for my TR and DL but plan on using gm 1 ton tre instead of heims. i want to do this one time and correctly!
The GM one ton TRE`s are what I use on the DL. The TR will be updated to the EMF straight pin ends soon as Clay makes them. Have a pre-order out there now.
http://www.emfrodends.com/category-s/1910.htm
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Mud_Gypsy86
1986 CJ7 

Tyler,

Are you fabricating the steering linkages yourself or are you having a shop do it for you?

Sawdust,

Those tie rod ends are pretty high dollar. Are they worth buying in comparison to a regular Moog or Dana Spicer tie rod end?
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud_Gypsy86 View Post
Sawdust,

Those tie rod ends are pretty high dollar. Are they worth buying in comparison to a regular Moog or Dana Spicer tie rod end?
Made by a wheeler (TTC Warthog 2011 IIRC) for wheelers. Adjustable, re-buildable, superior materials, warrantied.

Wore out a set of heims this past summer from a well know vendor. EMF is a buy it once and forget it purchase.

Others tend to agree.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ds-emf-fk.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...im-joints.html
Unread 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
yjtyler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud_Gypsy86 View Post
Tyler,

Are you fabricating the steering linkages yourself or are you having a shop do it for you?

I am making the tr and dl myself. I already have the weld in bungs and am getting the dom from a coworker. It is about $10a ft.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.