dana 300 build options. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > dana 300 build options.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

dana 300 build options.

here's what i'm looking for...
i want to build my dana 300 for use behind an nv4500. this would complete my 1 ton driveline to compliment the hpd60 up front, d60 rear, 5.2l magnum, and H1 wheels and tires.

the axles are under the jeep and nearing completion. the trans and x-case are the next order of business.

here are a few of thoughts i have had while trying to plan the swap. . .

transfer case brake... i have acess to a very skilled cnc machinest that would be able to make me a custom rotor to bolt behind my cv yoke... like this one i pulled from another custom d300 build.

any of you running an x-case brake?
what kind of kits did you buy and what kind of mounting does the caliper have to the case. i am concerned that if i get the rotor made i won't be able to modify the caliper mount to match a caliper not supplied by the maker of the caliper kit.

32spline output...
what kits are you using?
do they use the old housing or do they re-use the stock one?
what cv style yokes are compatible with the 32 spline shaft?
any other modifications to the case or internals needed?

4:1 reduction kit...
any compatibility issues with the 32 spline kit?
ease of installation?
any foreseen strength advantages over stock? i am not worried too much about the lower ratio since i am primarily into mud and not crawling, if it was a large enough strength increase i would definitely do the upgrade.

flip kits...
what are you running and how do you like it?

i am heavily considering the down east offroad kit that puts the shift rails on the top center of the case after being flipped rather than using the stock linkage that winds up being under the front DS after the flip.

any other pros, cons, or suggestions to throw my way would be greatly appreciated. this is going to be a pricy upgrade to the d300 and i want to do it all at once and do it right.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
jason m
Web Wheeler

Upgrade to the Stak case, I just watched two dana 300 blow up this year alone and bolth were in 4.0 Jeep based buggys. Not putting down the 300 as a good offroad case I think they are, they just cant handle big tires and power like your looking to do.
Like I said the two that I watched break bolth were powered buy a 4.0 and they bolth did the same thing, flexed the case, cracked the case and stripped the 4-1 gears.

I would look into a upgraded case from stak, then at least when you might break it will be the gears.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.